Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o which frum kids books dont have pics of females??
Previous  1  2

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 12:40 pm
I'm not Chassidish..... I started to wonder - in this community boys and girls are educated separately from a very young age.. why is it so unusual then to have 'books for boy's and 'books for girls'? Books for boys with images of boys, and books for girls with images girls? Even if otherwise the content is the same.. or maybe its not? (not sure what the curriculum differences is between a cheder and a girls school).

self-actualization

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 2:23 pm
Yiddishe Kop is the book that made me crazy and made me sign the petition in the previous thread. It is such a great book and my daughters loved it too. Gadi Pollack is such a great artist and is so clever - there were plenty of women in the 39 Melachos and on the Gaavatanic ... But now the market in Jerusalem (I think it was translated from Hebrew) is so fanatic that they convinced him to erase the women. I went nuts when I saw this. I am guessing it's a cultural thing - I don't live in Jerusalem, I wear a sheitel and not tichels only, etc. I am just trying to calm down. I actually just bought this book as a gift today - I still think it's a great book but I just don't love the trend.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 4:01 pm
self-actualization wrote:
Yiddishe Kop is the book that made me crazy and made me sign the petition in the previous thread. It is such a great book and my daughters loved it too. Gadi Pollack is such a great artist and is so clever - there were plenty of women in the 39 Melachos and on the Gaavatanic ... But now the market in Jerusalem (I think it was translated from Hebrew) is so fanatic that they convinced him to erase the women. I went nuts when I saw this. I am guessing it's a cultural thing - I don't live in Jerusalem, I wear a sheitel and not tichels only, etc. I am just trying to calm down. I actually just bought this book as a gift today - I still think it's a great book but I just don't love the trend.

I doubt his English book was for the fanatical Jerusalem oilem. I'm so upset about this that the one I got as a gift is being returned.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 4:30 pm
Ladies, perhaps if we're upset we should be emailing the people who did it instead of posting anonymous comments on a ladies forum. Best if they know they are isolating potential readers/buyers and will reevaluate this decision in the future.
Just opened the book. It lists two publishers (not sure why...) and has email addresses for both. office@tiferet.biz and Office@NerLamoer.com
If you do email and get a response, let us know how it goes! Also, if there are enough emails, hopefully they will change...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 8:31 am
amother wrote:
I'm not Chassidish..... I started to wonder - in this community boys and girls are educated separately from a very young age.. why is it so unusual then to have 'books for boy's and 'books for girls'? Books for boys with images of boys, and books for girls with images girls? Even if otherwise the content is the same.. or maybe its not? (not sure what the curriculum differences is between a cheder and a girls school).

Educated is one thing, but the world is the same. You can't remove one gender. If only the parent, etc

sky

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:04 am
ra_mom wrote:
We have a very expensive set of books called tell me the story of the parsha. All male illustrations. My 4 year old was so perplexed.

I have that set. But mine has lots of women. The imahos are show backwards in robes, just like the avos in the first few books.
And then in the later books there are pictures of both mothers and girls, front and back. Maybe there are more me, but there are definitely women.

I have the English version so maybe different languages are differet.

Zehava

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:42 am
OOTforlife wrote:
Most children's books have drawings, not photos, so the issue may not be as fraught. I think it shouldn't be a problem either way, but I'm not the target crowd for women-free publications. The artscroll children's books draw women.

I own some yiddish books with real pictures of little girls actually.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:47 am
To be honest, I really don't see anything wrong with Gadi Pollack's illustrations. I am an artist and I draw 99% women and girls. So I just see him as a man drawing mostly boys. It's a style thing. He does draw some women so it doesn't seem to be a policy. I don't see it like blurring out female faces at all.

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:50 am
We have one book about the tishrei yomtovim that has no women. DH bought it because he thought it presented nice ideas but it made me very upset that it was only men. I let DS keep it but I was not happy. I think its originally from Eretz Yisroel.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 12:56 pm
Zehava wrote:
I own some yiddish books with real pictures of little girls actually.

my yiddish books have the mom even LOL

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:
Chayalle - did you contact the publisher to complain??

I didn't think of doing so....I might consider that, when I pull them out this year. Gonna check who put them out. Thanks.

farm

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 2:55 pm
It's not just the books. Did anyone notice that the newest Marvelous Middos Machine only has girls in the first middos alert? The other 5? 6? 7? are boys. Apparently, girls have much better middos.
And I was shocked that the new Oorah auction book removed the women as well! Even the mini van and vacation prize pages had families with only boys.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 3:00 pm
farm wrote:
It's not just the books. Did anyone notice that the newest Marvelous Middos Machine only has girls in the first middos alert? The other 5? 6? 7? are boys. Apparently, girls have much better middos.
And I was shocked that the new Oorah auction book removed the women as well! Even the mini van and vacation prize pages had families with only boys.

I believe I remember a few years ago Oorah did a survey to see if families weren't reading their auction book because of the pictures. For a while they had 2 versions I think - but I guess it wasn't cost effective.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics