Home

Do you want pics of women in the frum magazines?
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

youngishbear

Post  Mon, Mar 20 2017, 4:56 pm
Gray, I don't think the issue is that people don't know what's trashy; the issue is that people have different standards of tznius.

The Orthodox market is so tiny. If any of these magazines set their tznius standard at a specific level, it would alienate SOMEONE. They simply can't afford to do so.

In any case, I have a bigger problem with photos from the the women's perspective and not the men's.

amother

Gray

Post  Mon, Mar 20 2017, 5:01 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Gray, I don't think the issue is that people don't know what's trashy; the issue is that people have different standards of tznius.

The Orthodox market is so tiny. If any of these magazines set their tznius standard at a specific level, it would alienate SOMEONE. They simply can't afford to do so.

In any case, I have a bigger problem with photos from the the women's perspective and not the men's.

Ok, so I'm the person they alienate. No big deal. I get news elsewhere. But I am very concerned about pretending that our religion requires eliminating women from the public sphere. That's not journalism, or catering to your market. That's a corruption of Torah. Don't I get to make my feelings known about that?

Seas

Post  Mon, Mar 20 2017, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:
Ok, so I'm the person they alienate. No big deal. I get news elsewhere. But I am very concerned about pretending that our religion requires eliminating women from the public sphere. That's not journalism, or catering to your market. That's a corruption of Torah. Don't I get to make my feelings known about that?

But is it? Can you back up that statement? Isn't that the traditional Torah standard, as seen for example by the famous possuk kol kevudah bas melech penima?

youngishbear

Post  Mon, Mar 20 2017, 7:52 pm
amother wrote:

They can't afford to alienate the people who would have no other news source and rely on these magazines for their reading material. You obviously are not in that category because you have alternatives.

I think everyone who wants to change an established product is better off starting their own magazine than depriving thousands of people who want this service.
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Recent Topics

Page 10 of 10 View latest: 24h 48h 72h