Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Head banging

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 5:48 pm
My otherwise normal developing, healthy 1 year old started head banging whenever he is upset or whenever he gets hurt. (for example, if he is playing with something dangerous and I take it away, or if he bumps into a cabinet accidentally).

Is this normal? Is there something to do about it? (I have two older kids and no one else did this)

nursemomma

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 6:33 pm
My son did this as well. He outgrew it on his own as he got older, but he is still a sensory-seeking child (loves to jump, tight hugs etc.). I discussed it with the pediatrician at the time, and she assured me as long as he was otherwise developing normally, there's nothing to worry about.
It's hard to watch a child hurting themselves, but he'll likely grow out of it.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 6:47 pm
Interesting that it can be sensory. My older two are actually in OT for sensory things, but neither of them banged their heads.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 7:04 pm
I did it when I was little! It will pass. Its usually a lack of speech. I couldn't talk at the time so I would do it. But I obviously outgrew it.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 7:33 pm
So my son has been doing this since he was little. Rocking back and forth in his cot and banging his head. He's now 2 and he still does it. He only does it in his cot/in his sleep. I googled it a lot and found out that it's very normal it peaks from age 18 months until about 3/4 and happens more in boys than girls. Hoping it will pass soon!!

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 8:04 pm
My ds did it in his sleep for many years. I had to remember to warn the babysitters about it, if not....... He is 18 now. B'h perfectly fine.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:06 pm
Ds did it to the point he split his skin and had bruises on his forehead. It was so scary.
He is very sensory btw.
But he also had chronic sinus infections and once we took him to an ent and got it cleared , his head banging eased up.

lizard8

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:31 pm
My son banged his head until he was around 4. The first year or two was actual banging on the crib, and after that he used to roll side to side. He would bang his head to sleep and would also do it randomly in middle of the night. I was also nervous at first, but the dr. wasn't concerned.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:04 am
My sister did this! My parents attached that foam egg crate material to her headboard to prevent her from hurting herself. BH now many years later she is very healthy and normal and engaged to be married Smile

myname1

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:48 am
My fourteen month old did the same thing like a month ago. When I took something away, she cried and banged her head on the floor. Then she cried more... Baruch Hashem, she hasn't done it in a long time. I would just pick her up and calm her with something else... or let her cry, but be careful she wasn't hurting herself. My husband took her to a couch/mattress and told her to bang there instead. Hatzlacha!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 6:19 am
I had a few head bangers. I made sure they were not on concrete when they got upset but otherwise I let them bang their heads if they wanted to. The pediatrician told me that there is a positive correlation between head banging and intelligence. Smile They all outgrew it and developed normally.

lucky14

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 8:39 am
I read in the baby/child books that some kids do this. They were saying it's totally normal.

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:16 am
my baby is doing it since he is 6 months old!! I just hope it will pass.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:20 am
Ok. I'm married. seven children.
And. I. still. bang. my. head. in. private. to relieve stress.
now throw the tomatoes.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:54 am
I did the same as a child and I promise I grew up totally normal, no sensory issues either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics