Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Our Affordable Community Near NY/NJ
1  2  Next

philamom

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 2:40 pm
Hi, We are trying to spread the word about our wonderful and super affordable community which is close to NY/NJ!
Here's the breakdown:

-Northeast Philadelphia is about an hour and 40 minutes from New York by car, and about 90 minutes by train. Some people commute to NY for work, its definitely doable.

-We have multiple yeshiva school options, for both elementary and high school, with lots of hashkafa variety and options.

-Due to Pennsylvania state tax credits for education, we have amazing tuition scholarships which is very easy to qualify for. Schools really work withe every person here and make it work.

-3-4 Bedroom homes here range from 160k-250k. Property Taxes range from $1700-$2700.

-Spacious Home rentals with full amenities, parking, private entrances. 2 bedrooms range from $750-$900 per month, 3 bedrooms range from $900-$1200.

-We are just outside center city Philadelphia- one of the largest cities in the US, so lots of job opportunities!

-We have lots of kosher food at affordable prices (For example, empire chicken ranges from $1.99lb-2.49lb in our local shoprite). We also have a pizza shop, restaurants, and lots of jewish infrastructure.

We'd really love to grow our community, which has so much to offer jewish families who are looking for more affordable, out-of-town living, but not too far from big Jewish communities.
I read about women working so hard to afford their lives in the big cities....here you can live a much less stressful life and still be able to afford rent or buy a home.

Feel free to ask any questions or pm me for more info! We'd love for you to check us out!

pesek zman

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 2:43 pm
What's your community called? Is it cherry hill?

philamom

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 2:48 pm
Northeast Philadelphia. We are about 25 minutes or so from Cherry Hill.

doctorima

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 2:54 pm
I think she's talking about NE Philly (does it have a more specific name?), definitely not Cherry Hill, which is NJ, and she clearly references PA tax credits.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 3:04 pm
What are services like for kids with special needs and are the yeshivas able to handle kids who need some accomodations?

philamom

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 3:12 pm
Great question.... yes, the schools here work very hard to accommodate all children. The yeshiva day schools here have a special needs track called OROT. It is extremely well regarded ...in fact, my good friend moved here from a bigger jewish community specifically for this wonderful and affordable special needs program for her son. Also, the State of Pennsylvania is very generous with special needs funding, and provides many state-funded services to special needs children. If you want more details specifically about these programs or OROT, pm me and I can connect you with a knowledgeable parent of a child with special needs in our community.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 3:24 pm
Is the community Modern Orthodox, or is there a more right-winged/yeshivish/chasidish/heimish school?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 3:24 pm
Also, would the community be accepting of a family of idealistic baalei teshuva?

philamom

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 3:30 pm
Their are both modern orthodox and more right wing school options. And yup, the community would be very accepting and welcoming to idealistic baalei teshuva. Lots of easy, warm people here!

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 11:53 am
philamom wrote:
Hi, We are trying to spread the word about our wonderful and super affordable community which is close to NY/NJ!
Here's the breakdown:

-Northeast Philadelphia is about an hour and 40 minutes from New York by car, and about 90 minutes by train. Some people commute to NY for work, its definitely doable.

-We have multiple yeshiva school options, for both elementary and high school, with lots of hashkafa variety and options.

-Due to Pennsylvania state tax credits for education, we have amazing tuition scholarships which is very easy to qualify for. Schools really work withe every person here and make it work.

-3-4 Bedroom homes here range from 160k-250k. Property Taxes range from $1700-$2700.

-Spacious Home rentals with full amenities, parking, private entrances. 2 bedrooms range from $750-$900 per month, 3 bedrooms range from $900-$1200.

-We are just outside center city Philadelphia- one of the largest cities in the US, so lots of job opportunities!

-We have lots of kosher food at affordable prices (For example, empire chicken ranges from $1.99lb-2.49lb in our local shoprite). We also have a pizza shop, restaurants, and lots of jewish infrastructure.

We'd really love to grow our community, which has so much to offer jewish families who are looking for more affordable, out-of-town living, but not too far from big Jewish communities.
I read about women working so hard to afford their lives in the big cities....here you can live a much less stressful life and still be able to afford rent or buy a home.

Feel free to ask any questions or pm me for more info! We'd love for you to check us out!
[b][I]

I have a bunch of questions can you please clarify?

1. Do you know the income levels for the Tax Credits? For a family of lets say 6 (2 parents and 4 kids) what can they earn a year to still qualify? What would be the balance owed at the local schools? What is full tuition if someone makes too much money? Do you have to live in a certain zip code or area to qualify for the tax credits? Do you see this "credit" when you file taxes and it has nothing to do with the school's?

2. What are the school choices and sizes? How far is the commute to school? Are there buses? Do families car pool?

3. Is there a preschool? Are there options for two working parents? Are most mother's SAHM's?

4. What is the sq ft of a home that is 3-4 bedrooms? Are they 1500-1800 sq ft with no backyard or something larger? Are these homes within the community and Eruv and where people want to live? What would a 3500 sq ft home with 4 bedrooms 2.5 bathrooms and a finished basement cost? (with potential guest rooms in the basement and even a bathroom)?

5. The Property Taxes are those amounts per month or per year?

6. What is the community like? BT's? Yeshivish? MO?

5. WHAT JOBS ARE AVAILABLE? Do you have ways of finding people jobs if they wish to relocate to your community?

These are just some of my questions thanks! I am sure I will think of more!

israeli83

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 12:42 pm
Hi,

Thank you for letting people know about your affordable area. I live in NYC, my husband has a good job as a teacher, however, living expenses are too high for us and we can't move to a larger apartment because of it. I don't think we can move as of right now, unless my husband decides to look for jobs in that area. So I have a few questions...

Do you know how's the employment in your area (especially for teachers)?

What kind of kids' activities do you have in your area??

Right now we have one car, will I need a car to drive around or is it easy to get to places over there with public transportation?

Are there any sefaradim and/or Israelis in the area?

You said that they give scholarships for tuition. Can you tell me how much is the full tuition for elementary school?

Is the community relatively safe and friendly?

What's the zipcode of the area? (incase I look it up)

Thank you!

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 9:32 pm
Following for answers to those very good questions above!

agreer

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 9:52 pm
Also curious - what kind of jobs are available? Where do most people work - in Philly or in NYC?

gold21

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 9:52 pm
I don't know if it's nogeiah for me, but there are a few people I would pass this information on to.

Im wondering, how big is the Jewish community right now?

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:24 pm
NE philly is a great community and place to love but it's kind of false advertising to make commuting to NY for work a normal/manageable thing. During rush hour the commute by either car or bus is much much longer than in the OP.

sourstix

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:38 pm
I really don't know about anything in Philadelphia but, one thing I do know and that is the medical system of "chop" children's hospital of Philadelphia. If you do decide to move there know that they have one of the best care and best doctors for kids. Dr shanik from Lakewood sends all serious issues there and I don't have enough words to say how good the care is.

This is just a side note. If this is important to anyone making a decision.

I had to write this I felt so much gratitude for how much they helped me. And the care I got was unbelievable.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:51 pm
We live in Lakewood and looking to move out. My dd is in chop all the time unfortunately so this would be a decent option. We're what people consider modern yishivish. Any people there that type? Job opportunities aren't an issue but are women sahm or all working? Is there like a rabbi of the community?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 12:21 am
amother wrote:
NE philly is a great community and place to love but it's kind of false advertising to make commuting to NY for work a normal/manageable thing. During rush hour the commute by either car or bus is much much longer than in the OP.

No one -- OK, almost no one -- commutes by car or bus. They take Amtrak, either from 30th Street or Trenton. My father has a friend who did it for 40 years, and he certainly wasn't unique. A good friend of mine did it for several years as well. And another good friend commuted to Newark. But most people work in Philly. Its a big city, with big city jobs and a big city economy.

I grew up in the Northeast, but not Orthodox. I'd move home in a heartbeat if I could.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:09 am
amother wrote:
We live in Lakewood and looking to move out. My dd is in chop all the time unfortunately so this would be a decent option. We're what people consider modern yishivish. Any people there that type? Job opportunities aren't an issue but are women sahm or all working? Is there like a rabbi of the community?

Look into the Ahavas torah shul/area. Rav there is Rav Terebelo

Kugglegirl

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 8:31 am
Regarding teaching and jobs in NE Philly & the region:

For teaching jobs for certified teachers in Philadelphia, and PA, use this website: https://www.pareap.net/jobsrch.php OT,PT, SLP can also search there.

If you are thinking of teaching jobs in the Orthodox day schools in the Lemudi Kodesh departments, there are a limited number of positions. Teachers tend to stay in those positions once they are hired.

OT, PT, SLP and other therapists can search the local hospitals, nursing homes, and medical service providers.

Philadelphia is a major city, like other American cities. Professionals should expect to search and network like they would in any other place.

Regarding special education services: If your child has a learning disability, they may be able to get service from OROT. Or maybe not. It depends on the school, the grade, and the intensity of the child's needs. It is true that OROT is well regarded by the overall Jewish community, and they serve the needs of many children with some kinds of learning disabilities. There are, however many children who's academic and educational support needs are not met by OROT.

OROT has, in the past 2 years provided Executive Function support in some of the schools it serves.

If you have a child with ASD, physical impairments or intellectual disability, you should do more research before considering this move.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating