Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Chicago and Skokie amothers - Pesach takeout options

shanarishona

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 3:52 pm
Hi,
I will be staying in skokie for part of pesach G-d willing and will be needing to purchase takeout food.
What are the takeout options for pesach food in chicago/skokie?
(if non-gebrokst, even better).

Thank you!

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 4:13 pm
The grocery stores will have a full selection. Hungarian usually has more then jewel. You can also get meat grilled for you at Marianos. I have heard that Mizrahi Grill in highland park is offering a catering menu this year.

shanarishona

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:41 pm
thank you! Since I will not be there in person to order it, I was hoping to order online. I will see if that's an option. Thank you!

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:48 pm
Chicago is not a huge takeout town in general. Pesach options are more limited. Sorry.

kb

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:22 pm
https://www.zkgourmet.com

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 7:14 pm
It is most likely that any of the above mentioned (or any at all) options will be gebrokst and probably using standard (not 18 minute or shmura) matza meal. AFAIK, there is know heimish/chareidi style Pesach takeout here.

Someone I know was once in a medical situation over Pesach and asked the local dayan if she could buy food from Hungarian and she was told, sure, she could buy the raw meat.

והמבין יבין

shanarishona

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:27 pm
thank you!

shanarishona

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:29 pm
My DH had a different idea. He said maybe we can pick up food in toronto. I just posted about that in a dif post.

r1

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:32 pm
Places like batyas kitchen will let u order online and then they ship it to u frozen in a box if that's an option.

kb

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:28 am
Crossing the border with meat can be a problem. Look into that.

grace413

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:54 am
kb wrote:
https://www.zkgourmet.com

I almost fainted when I saw the prices.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 12:34 pm
grace413 wrote:

Agreed, I noticed that this year Hungarian, PaNosh and Mizrahi grill were the more affordable options. Last year I ordered from Zelda's and wasn't thrilled with most of the food. (The sweet and sour meatballs were good as was the Chocolate torte, but everything else was eh.) That said, they were very pleasant to deal with, very organized and I liked the heating instructions that came with the food.

Chicago area amothers, of the places I've mentioned- which has the food you like the best?

ETA - OP - All the places I mentioned have menus online and allow (or encourage) online ordering.

grace413

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 1:14 pm
Just checked out Hungarian's menu which is certainly cheaper. It's been while since I've eaten their take-out but it was always good in the past.

Now I have to decide what I want to order and what I want to make myself. My prep time is very limited.

Decisions, decisions.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 1:31 pm
grace413 wrote:
Just checked out Hungarian's menu which is certainly cheaper. It's been while since I've eaten their take-out but it was always good in the past.

Now I have to decide what I want to order and what I want to make myself. My prep time is very limited.

Decisions, decisions.

Grace, I'm doing the exact same thing today. I've been going through my old menus and old imamother best of Pesach recipes to find quick and easy winners. I'm happy to share if you are. Smile

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:28 pm
grace413 wrote:

The prices are for service for 8-10 people. Doesn't seem so crazy.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:50 pm
Does anyone know if the Jewel on Howard has a menu of prepared foods with prices this year? If so, please share!!! Thank you!!!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 4:48 pm
Wow the tri state doesn't even have so many takeout options !

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:
Wow the tri state doesn't even have so many takeout options !

Yes, but the tri-state area has non-gebrokst options and options without non-shmura matza meal. In Chicago everything uses non-shmura matza meal and no places are non-gebrokst.

grace413

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 4:12 pm
amother wrote:
Grace, I'm doing the exact same thing today. I've been going through my old menus and old imamother best of Pesach recipes to find quick and easy winners. I'm happy to share if you are. Smile

I decided that I'm going to make chicken and brisket myself and order side dishes from Hungarian. I'll order soup, kishke, matza farfel w/mushrooms and potato kugel. Then I'll also make salad and roasted vegetables by myself.

I make plain roast chicken with paprika and pepper. If you don't mind sugar, duck sauce or barbeque sauce is good.

My brisket recipe: onion, garlic, paprika, pepper, onion soup mix, canned tomatos all poured over brisket. Cover tightly and bake til soft.

You can search for Pesach brownies you can cut here on Ima. They are easy to make and quite good. They were originally posted by Sanguine; if you make them, daven for her while you do it as she is ill.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 8:35 pm
shanarishona wrote:
Hi,
I will be staying in skokie for part of pesach G-d willing and will be needing to purchase takeout food.
What are the takeout options for pesach food in chicago/skokie?
(if non-gebrokst, even better).

Thank you!

just saw this on the crc

http://www.crcweb.org/Passover.....7.pdf

go to page 41 to see ad

below is the direct link

https://www.cje.net/koshercatering

im not in chicago so cant tell you anything else about it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics