Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Uncomfortable beds - ideas please!

amother
White

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:49 pm
We will be guests in a room with uncomfortable mattresses (based on our experience last year).

Any ideas what we could bring with us to help?
Not an air mattress.

#1 it has to be something that is small enough to fit in a suitcase
#2 it has to be something that can go on top of the bed, so that if someone accidentally leaves our bedroom door open, it won't be obvious to our hosts that we prepared for uncomfortable beds.

I'm thinking like maybe I should bring a yoga mat? Or, I know there's something that people use for camping but I don't remember what it's called.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:51 pm
No ideas but can totally relate. So sorry!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:56 pm
Egg crate mattress topper.
Goes over the mattress under the sheet.
Not sure it will fit in your suitcase depends how big your suitcase is.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:01 pm
ikea sells a mattress topper.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:02 pm
Yup, a mattress topper. You can get something luxurious with a down like feel.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:04 pm
I am not sure who you are going to and for how long. Is it possible for you to replace the beds for them as a gift?

My sil used to go to her parents and wasnt happy with the blankets and pillows. So she purchased them as a present.

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:06 pm
Mattresss toppers are not going to easily fit in a suitcase and they are not so discreet, at least in my experience.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:08 pm
I was in a similar situation . I bought a mattress topper. Problem is, the topper has a very strong odor, and needs to air out for at least three days. Otherwise, the fumes can really interfere with proper breathing.

I take it along with me whenever I am a guest. It fits into a duffel bag or suitcase, but it take up the entire suitcase. I always travel with two suitcases- one for my usual items and one for the mattress topper. I cut my mattress topper to be approx. the width of a yoga mat, and long enough for me to fit on it. It taeks up less space in the suitcase/duffel bag this way.

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 5:01 pm
I was going to suggest a yoga mat but it depends on why the beds are uncomfortable. If the bed is poorly cushioned and the springs are poking through, a yoga mat will help. If the mattresses are too soft and saggy, a yoga mat will do nothing, unless your plan is to sleep on the floor with the mat as cushioning.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 5:04 pm
Another suggestion is to get pieces of wood to put under the mattress which lifts the mattress up. You can get a few smaller blanks of wood that would fit in your suitcase.

amother
White

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:31 pm
so many good ideas! thank you all!

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 10:06 pm
down toppers are too thick & expensive ... but if you're going in a car just pop even a down blanket to sleep on top of

and why can't you just say you have back issues [you certainly will if you don't do something] ... save the discreet for other things Wink

gamanit

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 10:08 pm
From my experience as a teen a soft fuzzy throw blanket can make a huge difference... Every year in camp I would put it either between the mattress and the sheet or over the sheet. Those roll up pretty small too so should fit in your suitcase.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 10:10 pm
Can anyone post links to what they have? We have the same issue and we've offered to but new beds and they refuse.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics