Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Baking soda v powder

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 12:32 pm
Why do some recipes here say to use baking soda w lemon juice instead of powder?

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 12:50 pm
baking powder requires a KLP hechsher while pure baking soda does not. The two are not interchangeable. Baking soda plus lemon juice generates carbon dioxide gas which "leavens" the batter quickly. That means the dish must be baked immediately, before the gas is gone. Double-acting baking powder is a combination of compounds and evolves gas immediately as well as later, when heated. A dish made with baking powder can sit around for a while before baking; a dish made with baking soda must not.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:02 pm
amother wrote:
Why do some recipes here say to use baking soda w lemon juice instead of powder?
I don't like to buy KLP baking powder for a few teaspoons once a year. It's not something I use during the year and don't like to keep these things from year to year. So I use a substitute of baking powder plus lemon juice to activate it.
(Note that if a recipe calls for 3 teaspoons of baking powder do NOT use this substitute as the soda will be overpowering at that quantity and the recipe will be ruined.)

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:08 pm
zaq wrote:
baking powder requires a KLP hechsher while pure baking soda does not. The two are not interchangeable. Baking soda plus lemon juice generates carbon dioxide gas which "leavens" the batter quickly. That means the dish must be baked immediately, before the gas is gone. Double-acting baking powder is a combination of compounds and evolves gas immediately as well as later, when heated. A dish made with baking powder can sit around for a while before baking; a dish made with baking soda must not.

Applause
An excellent lesson in kitchen table science!

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:12 pm
Why, thank you!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:46 pm
Thanks!!

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:53 pm
Is there a real difference between KLP baking powder, and the stuff used year-round? I just buy it at Pesach, and use it during the year. I'm not much of a baker, though.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:24 pm
pesach baking powder is made with potatoe starch

year round is made with corn starch
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics