Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Parental neglect because of computer addiction

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 4:05 am
What do you think of this? Maybe this is extreme, but how many people are doing the same on a lesser level? Emotional neglect is also neglect.

Anyway this made me shudder:
Quote:
A couple authorities say were so obsessed with the Internet and video games that they left their babies starving and suffering other health problems have pleaded guilty to child neglect.

The children of Michael and Iana Straw, a 22-month-old boy and an 11-month-old girl, were severely malnourished and near death last month when doctors saw them after social workers took them to a hospital, authorities said. Both children are doing well and gaining weight in foster care, prosecutor Kelli Ann Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Michael Straw, 25, and Iana Straw, 23, pleaded guilty Friday to two counts each of child neglect. Each faces a maximum 12-year prison sentence.

Viloria said the Reno couple were too distracted by online video games, mainly the fantasy role-playing "Dungeons & Dragons" series, to give their children proper care.

(jpost)

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 4:41 am
hm - scary

would anybody here notice if they were too addicted ... are the kiddies okay ... everybody go check!!!

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 2:25 pm
I recall starting a thread about mothers who spend too much time on the internet recently. Not everyone was sympathetic with my concerns. While I doubt that any of the children whose mothers are on here are malnourished, they might feel that their mothers do not find them as interesting as they do the computer. Kids need a lot of focused attention, in my opinion. Remember that I did not raise kids in the computer era and few frum families were on line when I was raising kids.
Computers may be more addicting than phones and shopping.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 3:33 pm
for sure ... but what when the teens are addicted to the computer ... why can't I have a chance too Wink

Tefila

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 3:36 pm
Excellent thread southern bubby shalhevet too Thank You for bringing this up. C"V anyone here kids are anywhere near what those couple were with their kids poor babies Crying But thats why one has to like anything else in life including visiting etc monitor it Exclamation and remember their kids are their priority Exclamation

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 6:52 am
and after that I don't wonder why people think young = immature to have kids. Exploding anger
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics