Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Shopping list for pesach baking

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 7:54 am
does anyone have a list for a bulk baking day? I would love someone else's shopping list to base myself off Smile
Feeling slightly overwhelmed Trying to get orgenized so I can get the ingredients- have one day to spend baking this week but not much time to plan it. Dont want to resort to baking mixes since I think the pesach ones are a waste and prob don't taste great.
Was thinking one crumb type cake, sponge chocolate cake, brownies and blondies that type but I'm not stuck on anything really (Also Chocolate mousse and maybe strawberry ice cream but that I can always add)
---
For reg baking I just have stock of supplies at home. Pesach gets hard and I don't wanna over/ under buy and get stuck w lots of say potato starch or million dollar nuts....

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 8:21 am
From my list.

Baking: sugar, vanilla, cocoa, chocolate chips, brown sugar, ground almonds, walnut pieces (for charoses), potato starch, confectioner's sugar, baking powder or soda, cinnamon (for baking and charoses)

You might want to put all the recipes you'd like to make together, and calculate just how much potato starch and nuts you need so you don't overbuy.

Marion

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 8:25 am
As above, without the nuts (allergies), with matza meal (we eat shruya/gebrochts and cake meal/matza flour is too expensive), and with shredded coconut.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 8:43 am
Don't forget klp oil or margarine if you use it, lots of eggs (many recipes call for a snow which takes a lot of eggs) baking tins, and good silver foil to wrap everything so it stays fresh.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:58 am
ra_mom wrote:
From my list.

Baking: sugar, vanilla, cocoa, chocolate chips, brown sugar, ground almonds, walnut pieces (for charoses), potato starch, confectioner's sugar, baking powder or soda, cinnamon (for baking and charoses)

You might want to put all the recipes you'd like to make together, and calculate just how much potato starch and nuts you need so you don't overbuy.

Was actually thinking of u when I posted;)
Thank u!
What kind of oil do u use for baking? Ground almonds in most recipes ?

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:59 am
studying_torah wrote:
Don't forget klp oil or margarine if you use it, lots of eggs (many recipes call for a snow which takes a lot of eggs) baking tins, and good silver foil to wrap everything so it stays fresh.

Lol last year started baking. Changed into my shmatta clothes etc and noticed they x send the eggs 😳

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 11:30 am
don't forget an egg laying chicken ... or a dozen dozen eggs

very important for flavour would be fresh lemons for sponge cakes [& leftovers are good for - well lemonade]

+ lots of disposable pans for baking

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 11:31 am
amother wrote:
Was actually thinking of u when I posted;)
Thank u!
What kind of oil do u use for baking? Ground almonds in most recipes ?

I use extra light olive oil for baking on pesach. It's almost as light and flavorless as canola oil.
And yes, for recipes that call for ground nuts I use almonds.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 11:39 am
I also only use ground almonds ... do not like walnuts although I've used it in baking when I was married due to dxh's allergies

I save the olive oil for everything but the baking

oh & I stopped using chocolate chips ... cause 3 tbs cocoa & 1 tbs oil = baking chocolate

studying_torah

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 12:17 pm
I like a nut oil for baking, if there's no allergies (like walnut) but not for frying. Burns too quickly.
Not everyone uses cottonseed or canola oil on pessach, can't recall why.
No eggs, oh boy. That is not good at all! Hopefully they'll send them this year.
Vanilla extract or vanilla sugar , or coffee are good too in many recipes, coffee adds depth of flavor to chocolate. So does cinnamon actually.
ETA, sorry ra mom, you did have vanilla on ur list.

cbg

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 8:02 pm
BTW, a good site for recipes is elanaspantry.com

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 8:26 pm
Ok.
So I forgot chocolate chips cuz figured the heimish ones must be klp all yr round and I have tons at home. But they are not Sad
I should have gotten lemon juice and coffee as well.
Next year it will be one trip lol

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 8:46 pm
Oy, lemon juice, coffee and oil are on the groceries part of the list, pans and silver foil on the papergoods part, eggs on the refrigerated items list. Lol.
Here's the baisc list I work off of and then make more specific once I have my menu.

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....12652
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics