Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Bleaching White Shirts

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 2:01 pm
My toddler's white shirt got chocolate all over it. (Forgot the bibs on Purim...oops!) I usually spray with Oxygen (I'm in Israel) and hang in the sun, but when I say "all over," I mean it. So that didn't quite do the trick this time. I have a big thing of bleach for cleaning. Can't I use that for cleaning white clothes, too? How exactly does one do that? Hope someone can help, I don't really feel like throwing it away! Thank you!

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 2:09 pm
not only use the bleach but scrub the stains out with some elbow grease ... wash & scrub till you see it clean ... if you dry it in the heat the stains will set in ...

you can also add baking soda & vinegar to your detergent

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 3:04 pm
greenfire wrote:
not only use the bleach but scrub the stains out with some elbow grease ... wash & scrub till you see it clean ... if you dry it in the heat the stains will set in ...

you can also add baking soda & vinegar to your detergent

But how do I actually use the bleach? I put it in the drawer instead of laundry powder? Or do I need to just use a bit on the stain and hand wash it? Do I water it down at all, or just pour it right on and rub with a toothbrush or something?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 3:33 pm
Try other things before bleach.
For chocolate I do as follows:
Lay garment in clean sink or bathtub. Wet it completely with cold water. Pour dish soap into the palms of your hands and spread together, then rub all over stains on garment. Let sit and then scrub out with a cleaning toothbrush.
Sometimes if stain is a bad one, you may need to leave it overnight, with the garment staying wet and the soap smeared on.
Make sure to rinse it off being washing in the washing machine as the soap suds are too much for an HE machine to handle.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 4:21 am
Thank you all so much, the shirt looks new!! I had already sprayed it with Oxygen and put it outside to dry, so I was worried the stain was set by the sun. But it wasn't so sunny, so I took it right in, wet it, and scrubbed dish soap all over the stains. Then I left it in the bathtub/sink for like 2 days because I didn't have time for it. I washed out the soap and it didn't look much better. But then I put a bit of bleach in a cup in the bath tub and took an old toothbrush and started scrubbing out all the stains. By the time I was done, they were basically all gone! I rinsed it well, sprayed it with Oxygen, and washed it with all my other clothes. Baruch Hashem, no bleach damage on anything and a beautiful white shirt! I'm so glad I didn't throw it away, I'm so glad you wonderful ladies are all so wise, and most of all, I'm so glad I don't have to be stressed every Shabbos about my sons' shirts!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry