Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Would you rather travel pregnant plus 1 yo or with 2 kids?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:17 pm
I can either go to my ILs (out of state - 5 hr flight) for pesach while pregnant w/ my 1 yo, or for sukkos with my 1.5 yo and new baby (IY"H it will be around 10 weeks).

Notes:
1) I haaaaaaaaate flying and need xanax. My OB would allow me to take xanax but I don't want to.
2) I'm tired from pregnancy, but I'm sure I'll be tired w/ a newborn as well
3) ILs are nice but not super-helpful; I can't leave my kids with them while I nap
4) I hate the idea of traveling with a super young child, but at least I know my xanax won't effect baby (not BFing)

So... if you were me...what would you do...?

Or, any advice?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:18 pm
I think it'll be easier to go pregnant than with two kids... When baby's still inside you, there's much less hassle...

pesek zman

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:29 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I think it'll be easier to go pregnant than with two kids... When baby's still inside you, there's much less hassle...

Agreed. Will you husband will available to help as well?

nicole81

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:35 pm
pregnant + one child. I hate flying and I've done this and it wasn't bad at all.

glamourmom

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 2:43 pm
I'd rather travel pregnant. PP I do not want to be stuck in a claustrophobic plane with my own dizziness and discomfort and a possibly screaming baby.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:30 pm
Definitely pregnant

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:34 pm
oh gosh I just had my first and I can't imagine what flying will be like with him now that there's a stroller, car seat, diaper bag, extra clothing.

I flew loads while pregnant. threw up once (8 weeks) upon landing but otherwise no big deal.

DEFINITELY pregnant

re medication maybe see if you can hold out on it and take as necessary?

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:48 pm
Either one is crazy. Of course pregnant is more practical but it's very not safe. I would ask for a bracha from a tzadik/mekubal and do whatever he tells me.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:52 pm
I vote fly while pregnant! There's so much less paraphernalia to schlep and a newborn is demanding enough as it is--let alone with a one-year-old around and on an airplane. Flying with both sounds beyond overwhelming to me.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 3:54 pm
amother wrote:
I would ask for a bracha from a tzadik/mekubal and do whatever he tells me.

Speechless are you serious? A mekubal?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 4:03 pm
I would take two kids, any day. Pregnancy is so hard for me, and PP+newborn is always a million times better. I've done it both ways--when pregnant, I throw up the whole flight and am dysfunctional, when I am PP, ok, I might need to manage a lot, but at least I feel physically up to it!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 11:08 am
Pregnant is soooo hardcore, I'd rather 10 kids and no pregnant!! I need to be able to stand, walk around, carry, right?

real israeli

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
I can either go to my ILs (out of state - 5 hr flight) for pesach while pregnant w/ my 1 yo, or for sukkos with my 1.5 yo and new baby (IY"H it will be around 10 weeks).

Notes:
1) I haaaaaaaaate flying and need xanax. My OB would allow me to take xanax but I don't want to.
2) I'm tired from pregnancy, but I'm sure I'll be tired w/ a newborn as well
3) ILs are nice but not super-helpful; I can't leave my kids with them while I nap
4) I hate the idea of traveling with a super young child, but at least I know my xanax won't effect baby (not BFing)

So... if you were me...what would you do...?

Or, any advice?

Personally I'd do pregnant. Yes it's tiring. But so is a newborn and with pregnancy your excused so it's not like going to rest if you're tired is rude. A baby is paraphernalia plus dealing with the change of environment and it's much harder to leave your kids for a nap (most men I know won't babysit a newborn plus a one year old on their own). I feel physically better after the baby but way too much hassle to fly in my opinion.

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 11:51 am
Id go with two kids any day. I find newborns are very easy to fly with. They generally sleep most of the flight. Pregnant I am so uncomfortable and hate traveling.

miami85

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 12:00 pm
I'd also vote for while pregnant. Its hard enough to take a toddler on a plane let alone a toddler who will want to move + a infant who won't like the changing pressure and will either cry or need to be fed during take-off/landing. At least you can kind of veg on the couch while watching your toddler run around if you can make yourself a "Safe room" in the house where he can roam and not get into trouble.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 12:08 pm
It seems like the not pregnant vote isn't popular.
But I have super hard pregnancies and flying whilst pregnant especially with a toddler, each of those things are hard on their own but together?!
The walking and dragging luggage and all that just don't appeal to me when pregnant at all.

10 weeks pp is like THE perfect time. You are feeling well enough and recovered enough hopefully, to travel. It is the easiest time to travel with a newborn - put him/her in a carrier and move on. Super easy traveling age. You'll have more energy for the toddler plus somethign for him to "do" (can you help me make the bottle for the baby etc).
Assuming either time you are flying with dh, I would totally do it post partum.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 12:19 pm
It seems like people have vastly different pregnant and postpartum experiences so it's very individual

MMCH

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:28 pm
will your dh be with you on this flight?

a newborn is the easiest to fly with, however my biggest concern is flying with 1.5 year old!
that for me is the hardest age to travel with.

in your situation, I would choose going pregnant.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics