Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who decides who will be the biggest Gedolim?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 5:56 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
These are the gedolim in the charedi / black hat world, not the entire Jewish world.

(eta: not sure how that got to be anonymous, it was me the whole time Smile )

What does this mean? You dont consider them to be gedolim?

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 5:59 am
[quote="sequoia"]The Rambam[/quote

You dont think there are any gedolim nowadays? Of course they're not on the same level as the Rambam but they are still tremendous talmidei chachamim and gedolim.

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 6:25 am
One needs to distinguish between "gadol" and "highest authority posek." We can acknowledge a person as a gadol even though he is not the posek for our community.

Where is it written that there can be only one g'dol hador? There's plenty of room at the top.

cnc

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 6:28 am
amother wrote:
You can respect someone's learning but what does it mean to acknowledge him as the gadol hador if you don't follow his piskei halacha and you don't take his advice on matters outside of halacha?

Acknowledging him as a Gadol hador means we acknowledge his gadlus- his greatness.

R' Ovadia Yosef is definitely a gadol hador although he is not my posek- I still wear wigs.

R' Moshe Feinstein - definitely a gadol although my family doesn't follow some of his piskei Halacha.

Were there never two gedolei hador that differed in halachic opinion like Hillel and Shammai? Just because we don't follow one of them , it doesn't mean that they are lacking in gadlus.

Last edited by cnc on Fri, Mar 24 2017, 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total

cnc

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 6:29 am
zaq wrote:
One needs to distinguish between "gadol" and "highest authority posek." We can acknowledge a person as a gadol even though he is not the posek for our community.

Where is it written that there can be only one g'dol hador? There's plenty of room at the top.

We cross posted- exactly.

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 6:30 am
I also believe that to be considered a gadol one needs to be more than just pious and a tremendous scholar. There needs to be community service. An awesome lamdan contemplating the holy books in solitary splendor on a remote mountaintop never interacting with the people? Not so much.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 8:19 am
zaq wrote:
I also believe that to be considered a gadol one needs to be more than just pious and a tremendous scholar. There needs to be community service. An awesome lamdan contemplating the holy books in solitary splendor on a remote mountaintop never interacting with the people? Not so much.

I would be quick to acknowledge the Vilna Gaon, though his communal activity was limited.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 3:25 pm
amother wrote:
What does this mean? You dont consider them to be gedolim?
Ill answer this by asking you if you would consider Rav Lichtenstein or Rav Soleveitchick would be considered gedolim in your eyes?

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 4:20 pm
tichellady wrote:
The chofetz chaim

Yet many people don't follow clear halacha brought down in the mishna berura. He paskened just as 'right-wing' as the forementioned gedolim at the beginning of this thread.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 4:39 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Ill answer this by asking you if you would consider Rav Lichtenstein or Rav Soleveitchick would be considered gedolim in your eyes?

never heard of them

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 4:43 pm
amother wrote:
never heard of them

And therein lies the problem.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 5:01 pm
amother wrote:
And therein lies the problem.

meaning?

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 5:09 pm
amother wrote:
meaning?

Meaning that someone in the mo community will acknowledge that a Charedi may be a gadol baTorah, but it doesn't work in the opposite direction. Because it's not all about Torah and middos.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 5:12 pm
amother wrote:
Meaning that someone in the mo community will acknowledge that a Charedi may be a gadol baTorah, but it doesn't work in the opposite direction. Because it's not all about Torah and middos.

What else is it about if not Torah and middos?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:
never heard of them
You never heard of rav soleveitchik? I can understand someone not in israel and not in the dati leumi world not hearing of rav lichtenstein, but rav soleveichik? I am actually floored.
But I agree with the amother below my previous post. There in lies the problem. Just because you find certain rabbanim to be great torah scholars does not mean that every frum jew or every jew for that matter, also finds them to be great torah scholars. And for me I dont really think there are any specific gedolei yisrael at this point in Jewish history. There may be many many rabbanim from ALL streams of judaism that are great torah scholars, but that does not make them gedolei yisrael, not in my book anyway.

MitzadSheini

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 6:09 pm
Never heard of Rav Soleveichik??????

I'm absolutely astounded at this.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 7:23 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Never heard of Rav Soleveichik??????

I'm absolutely astounded at this.

Why? I'm sure her teachers never mentioned the name. Certainly he didn't appear in frum magazines. Where would she have heard of him?

MitzadSheini

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 9:05 pm
Well I guess that just shows MY ignorance. I consider the Soleilveichik family (including R Liechtenstein) as huge gedolim. I didn't realize that the rest of the Jewish world has never even heard of them.

cnc

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 9:17 pm
Never heard of R. Lichtenstein.
Absolutely consider R. Soleveitchik a gadol.

MitzadSheini

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 10:34 pm
R Lichtenstein ztl was R Soleveitchik's son in law
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics