Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cherry Hill,NJ vs Rhawnhurst(Philadelphia),Pa

staten islander

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 7:03 pm
We are seriously considering a move to either one of these communities. Are there any Imamothers that can provide any info-anything at all is appreciated. We are a medium size young family,Mo,I don't cover my hair and wear pants.What do you think will be a better fit?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 7:14 pm
My husband is from Cherry hill, and I have spent many Shabbosim there. The community is a big mix, with one large MO shul, plus another smaller Young Israel.
The day school located is MO, and I would say that at least half of the mothers do not cover their hair and wear pants. It may even be more than that.
The community is working very hard to attract young families right now, and people have been moving in. People there are very friendly, and there are definitely young families there.
I don't know much about Philly

staten islander

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 7:28 pm
thank you,amother,that's really helpful.Anyone else?

HappyMommy23

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 7:34 pm
From what I know of the communities I would think Cherry Hill. Rhawnhurst is a mixed community but I think much more of a yeshivish crowd with some MO. I think you would really feel out of place there in pants, although I may be wrong. Also I think of Politz the local day school in that area is much more to the right. However, like amother said your description of your type of family would really fit in better in CH. Hatzlacha Rabba!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 7:43 pm
I'm the same amother as above-If Rawnhurst is the area around Politz in Philly-it is definitely more right wing. Politz in Philly is more Yeshivish, and moving further to the right as far as I know. There is also Torah Academy in Philly, but that is also more right wing than Politz in CH. It gets confusing because the MO day school in CH is also called Politz.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 9:23 pm
If you're only looking at Rhawnhurst in the Philly area, then I'd say go to Cherry Hill. If you can go further out in Philly, then Lower Merion/Bala Cynwyd would probably work better. I don't know Cherry Hill so well, but from what I've seen of Rhawnhurst, there aren't a lot of young MO families, and not even a lot of young yeshivish ones.

Soul on fire

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 1:24 am
Cherry Hill would be a better fit.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 1:55 am
[b]Rhawnhurst is certainly more to the right.It's a wonderful community with a choice of schuls. People are friendly and warm.There are women in the community who do not cover their hair and wear pants-------but that's not the regular style in the neighborhood.Come visit the area, you may find it perfect. Cherry hill is more modern.Hatzlacha in whatever your decision may be.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 1:59 am
amother wrote:
[b]Rhawnhurst is certainly more to the right.It's a wonderful community with a choice of schuls. People are friendly and warm.There are women in the community who do not cover their hair and wear pants-------but that's not the regular style in the neighborhood.Come visit the area, you may find it perfect. Cherry hill is more modern.Hatzlacha in whatever your decision may be.

Well Hello fellow Rhawnhurster Wink

happy12

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 7:36 am
I would also compare the difference in real estate tax and other taxes between NJ and PA.

staten islander

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 8:50 am
thank you,everyone

amother

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 11:19 am
Another vote for Cherry Hill. I moved out about 10 years ago but from what I understand there is a nice crowd of young MO families there. Why don't you go for shabbos? I think they even have a committe that sets you up with families for shabbos.

underthestars

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 1:15 pm
IF it is helpful, feel free to PM me and I or my husband would be happy to speak to you more about it. I grew up in Cherry Hill, and my husband also lived there, and since we have been married we have lived both in Bala Cynwyd and the Rawnhurst (Philly) area. We still have family in those areas and would be happy to help you make the decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

staten islander

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 10:06 am
Yeah,financially Pennsylvania makes more sense-lower income tax,lower prop tax.NJ is expensive.As far as I know,re taxes in CH are from 8 to 12k.We might look in Bala Cynwyd as well,anyone know if there is an MO school there?

HappyMommy23

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 6:29 pm
Look into Torah Academy, I don't know if it's officially modern orthodox or not, though I know it has made some changes. This is their websire: http://www.torah-academy.org/. Hatzlacha Rabba!

nylon

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 1:11 pm
PA has lower taxes in general but it gets complicated if either of you work in Philadelphia because of the wage tax. NJ credits it against your state tax, but it adds to your PA tax and I have heard from people that it can actually work out cheaper to live in NJ because of that credit. Nonresidents who work in Philadelphia pay wage tax to the city at just under 3.5%. Residents pay another 0.5%. If you do not work in the city of Philadelphia, it is cheaper to live in PA.

Lower Merion Twp (Bala/Wynnewood) does NOT impose earned income tax (municipalities other than Philadelphia and Pittsburgh may impose EIT up to 1%).

I will say this: If you have special needs children or anticipate the need for services, NJ is better. If you anticipate needing to use the public schools for any reason, do not move to Philadelphia. Lower Merion schools are excellent and I believe Cherry Hill's are good.

staten islander

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 10:19 pm
Thank you ,Nylon,thats incredibly helpful,I appreciate it

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 12:26 pm
Reviving this old thread.

New amother.

Which would be a better fit, pants wearing don't cover hair , Cherry Hill or Lower Merion?

I don't want to be in the minority in a community.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 3:11 pm
Bump
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating