Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What Do You Cover Your Counters With?

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 9:58 am
I've moved since last pesach, and too the opportunity to throw out the ancient plastic "corduroy" that I used in the old place, b v the Counters were a completely different shape. So. Starting fresh. I can't spend a fortune but want something that will last year to year. Ideas?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:10 am
Corrugated plastic. A new color each year!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:15 am
I got ceramic tiles from Home Depot. They are supposed to be floor tiles; I just use them on my counters, clean them after Pesach, and store them for the next year. I got tiles that are a neutral color (not the same as my granite, but I don't really care about that). I think I got them for $1 a square foot, so it was a small investment. It's much better than the corrugated plastic I used to use, which itself was an improvement over foil.

For some counters, the tiles don't suffice to cover the entire surface, and I don't now how (or even if it's possible) to cut down the tiles. So in those smaller spaces, I use laminate samples that I got from Home Depot. They are smaller so I use them as fillers.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:19 am
How do you tape down corrogated plastic?

cm

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:29 am
I have covers made from smooth white wallboard from Home Depot. We have reused them quite a few times, and they are just starting to show wear. I had a handyman cut them out to make covers just the right size. If you are good with tools, it's a reasonable DIY project. We store them flat against the wall in a storage room; they don't roll up so if you only have a storage closet, this might be an issue.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 12:27 pm
Also... how do you cut the corrugated plastic sheets? Would a boxcutter work?

Liba

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 1:13 pm
the person who did out cabinets made us formica counters. B"H I really like them, even though we have different sinks and burners now so they don't fit perfectly, duct tape fixes things Wink

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 1:47 pm
amother wrote:
How do you tape down corrogated plastic?

Gaff tape and cut with an exacto knife and scissors.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 6:44 pm
Liba wrote:
the person who did out cabinets made us formica counters. B"H I really like them, even though we have different sinks and burners now so they don't fit perfectly, duct tape fixes things Wink
Liba, are these thin laminate sheets without a backing?

thanks

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 6:48 pm
First I cover with heavy plastic. On top of the plastic, I saved extra floor tile. I place them on top of the plastic for hot things.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 7:12 pm
amother wrote:
Also... how do you cut the corrugated plastic sheets? Would a boxcutter work?

I use a boxcutter.
I have learned to purchase the biggest pieces for the triangular corners of the counters/sinks and cut as custom as possible. This way it's mostly big pieces that extend way past the corners and cover most of the counter space, and I don't need any tape. Comes out much neater this way and I have an easier time cooking, cleaning and wiping down.
I only use tape on the actual ends of the corrugated plastic, in order to seal the ends so food doesn't get it (but I don't tape down to the counter or to each other). This way it stays clean and I can keep them for another year.

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 7:33 pm
We use plastic carpet runners. You buy on the roll from home depot. Easy to cut to size

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:38 pm
thanks wrote:
First I cover with heavy plastic. On top of the plastic, I saved extra floor tile. I place them on top of the plastic for hot things.

How do you fit the heavy plastic in place? What do you use for heavy plastic?

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 10:58 pm
For those who want to use disposable foil - last year we used regular heavy foil (several layers). This year we discovered 100 microns foil (no, me neither), which looks like pretty solid stuff while still being easy to work with, so we plan to do one regular underlayer and then this.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 11:12 pm
amother wrote:
For those who want to use disposable foil - last year we used regular heavy foil (several layers). This year we discovered 100 microns foil (no, me neither), which looks like pretty solid stuff while still being easy to work with, so we plan to do one regular underlayer and then this.

Regular heavy duty is 18 microns.
In Israel they sell 50, 100, & 150 microns. Be careful, that stuff is sharp and dangerous. You could get cut on the edges, so make sure they are concealed well.
We use 50microns to cover our stove.

sky

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 6:48 am
thick plastic - the type people use to cover their table cloth with = not disposable.
We throw out after pesach and buy new every year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics