Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What do you do to keep from gaining?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 8:33 am
ra_mom wrote:
Don't make pesach recipes.
Use your regular recipes and mix up the spices a bit.
Fresh onion, garlic (or shallots and red onion), olive oil and kosher salt go a looong way in bringing out flavor.
Roasted asparagus, summer squash and tomato saute, tri color baked vegetable fries, colorful roasted vegetables, savory carrot salad, butternut squash fries, parnsip mash, roasted cauliflower, zucchini spaghetti salad, cucumber salad with diet sweetener, roasted gourmet tri color carrots.
Vegetable stuffed capons, grilled chicken, rib steak, baby chicken skewers, dark ground turkey meatballs, pan seared tilapia, seared tuna, baked salmon.
Sprinkle crunchy shriveled baked carrot chips over a nice romaine salad with vegetables and sliced grilled chicken.
It might help for you to write your restrictions here so we know what you have to work with and what to suggest.

Thanks. Would you kindly post your tri-vegetable baked fries. What vegetables?

I need to peel my peel all my fruits and vegetables, so I lose much of the nutrition. I have to fresh squeeze juices. I can't use many of the spices I use normally. DH wants me to use fresh garlic instead of powered for instance. That doesn't roast well.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 8:40 am
Squishy wrote:
Great ideas.

Would you post your recipe for roasted eggplant please? What do you season it with?

This week I made some. Cut an eggplant in half lengthwise, lay it face down on a pan and bake/roast it till it's soft. Burnt skin if you like that.
Scrape the flesh out. Slice it against the fibers to get a smooth dip. I added olive oil mayonnaise. Two or so tablespoons for one eggplant. Some garlic and onion powder. Somehow some paprika got in giving it an interesting color. Rally, it was just to taste. The mayo was mostly for texture.
Since it was so low in fat, I was able to eat significantly more than the store bought babaganush.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 8:44 am
Lots of salad. (only dressing I use is a splash of olive oil, splash of lemon juice and salt and pepper. I use garlic powder if it is avocado salad.)

Fresh fruit.

Nuts are a nice snack.

Cottage cheese, cheese and yogurt can be a nice snack.

Drink a lot of water.

Other than that, don't eat matza or carbs that you are not obligated to eat.

Any vegetable (or potato) can be sliced, drizzled a little in olive oil and salt, tossed and then baked. That is pretty much the extent of my "recipes."

Oh, yes, and I bought a vegetable spiralizer to make zucchini noodles this year.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 8:44 am
For roasted garlic, I separate, not peel, the cloves and pile them in a small pan or ramekin with some olive oil. I put it in the side of the oven while I'm baking something else. It comes out deliciously roasted. After it cools I remove the peels.

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 9:01 am
Iymnok wrote:
This week I made some. Cut an eggplant in half lengthwise, lay it face down on a pan and bake/roast it till it's soft. Burnt skin if you like that.
Scrape the flesh out. Slice it against the fibers to get a smooth dip y. I added olive oil mayonnaise. Two or so tablespoons for one eggplant. Some garlic and onion powder. Somehow some paprika got in giving it an interesting color. Rally, it was just to taste. The mayo was mostly for texture.
Since it was so low in fat, I was able to eat significantly more than the store bought babaganush.

Sounds delicious. Do you have a recipe for low fat mayo?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 9:07 am
Squishy wrote:
Sounds delicious. Do you have a recipe for low fat mayo?

This one is store bought. But I don't limit my olive oil. I know that it is actually very good for me.
I'll ask my mother to send me the recipe she uses. I know it's delicious.

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 9:08 am
Iymnok wrote:
This one is store bought. But I don't limit my olive oil. I know that it is actually very good for me.

Thank you.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I was blanking. And every year I gain.

etky

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 9:43 am
I actually keep from gaining by eating a ton of matza. It is my mainstay during the chag, especially on chol hamoed.
I eat the 'light' matza that is somewhat less caloric than regular matzo because it contains more wheat bran. IMO it is also much tastier than the regular matzo.
Breakfast is matzo with low fat cottage cheese or light cream cheese and tomato.
Lunch will generally be something else spread on the matzo like tuna, eggplant salad or even gefilte fish and some cut up veggies or more tomato.
Dinner is whatever everyone else is eating (soup, protein, cooked veg or salad) minus the carb.
Snacks are fresh fruit, a handful of almonds, a cheese stick or some type of yoghurt/low fat pudding.
If I'm hankering for something more 'sinful' I'll have a piece of mazo with jam (I stock up on several flavors for variety) or even with a thin shmear of chocolate spread instead of cookies or cake. A couple of squares of chocolate will also sometimes do the trick. Some sorbet is good too. I only indulge in cake/cookies on yomtov.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 9:45 am
etky wrote:
I actually keep from gaining by eating a ton of matza. It is my mainstay during the chag, especially on chol hamoed.
I eat the 'light' matza that is somewhat less caloric than regular matzo because it contains more wheat bran. IMO it is also much tastier than the regular matzo.
Breakfast is matzo with low fat cottage cheese or light cream cheese and tomato.
Lunch will generally be something else spread on the matzo like tuna, eggplant salad or even gefilte fish and some cut up veggies or more tomato.
Dinner is whatever everyone else is eating (soup, protein, cooked veg or salad) minus the carb.
Snacks are fresh fruit, a handful of almonds, a cheese stick or some type of yoghurt/low fat pudding.
If I'm hankering for something more 'sinful' I'll have a piece of mazo with jam (I stock up on several flavors for variety) or even with a thin shmear of chocolate spread instead of cookies or cake. A couple of squares of chocolate will also sometimes do the trick. Some sorbet is good too. I only indulge in cake/cookies on yomtov.

I'd get all clogged up if I ate this amount of matza and goodies. Lucky you that you can tolerate these without a problem.

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 9:48 am
etky wrote:

I can't have anything on matzo.

etky

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:11 am
amother wrote:
I'd get all clogged up if I ate this amount of matza and goodies. Lucky you that you can tolerate these without a problem.

I sometimes have the opposite problem because of all the fiber in the light matzo.
Some years I have to moderate my consumption towards the end of the chag and switch to the regular matzo. Then of course I have to eat less of it because it has more calories.

Belle

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 2:22 pm
What brand is your "light" matzo? I have never seen that before.

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 3:43 pm
Avoid desserts. Eat a portion size at the meal. no snacking between meals.

Amarante

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 4:46 pm
Spaghetti squash
Cauliflower rice

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 6:47 pm
Squishy wrote:
Thanks. Would you kindly post your tri-vegetable baked fries. What vegetables?

I need to peel my peel all my fruits and vegetables, so I lose much of the nutrition. I have to fresh squeeze juices. I can't use many of the spices I use normally. DH wants me to use fresh garlic instead of powered for instance. That doesn't roast well.

https://www.joyofkosher.com/.a.....ries/
Use jumbo carrots instead of sweet potato.

Cut to matchstick size carrots, zucchini and beets make a beautiful side dish and very tasty. You can roast each separately so they don't bleed on each other and then toss together to serve. Can do the same with cubes.

Fresh garlic roasts amazingly well btw. Doesn't matter what you're using it to flavor.

Peel asparagus, toss with crushed garlic and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Roast 18 minutes on a cookie sheet. Toss with kosher salt.

Wrap a full head of garlic in foil. Place in baking pan. Roast. Squeeze out like toothpaste, you'll get a deliciously creamy spread. Just season with salt.

Cut up vegetables of your choice. Toss with half a head of crushed garlic and a bit of olive oil. Spread onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for aboit 40 minutes.

Cube eggplant. Toss with garlic, a drizzle of oil and a bit of salt on a cookie sheet. Roast at 425 for 25-30 minutes.

These carrots are beautiful. Just peel and roast until still crisp.
https://breadberry.com/#!/hb/s/1/r/29947/he/Brooklyn/kosher-produce/kosher-cut-vegetables/tricolor-carrot-13-oz

http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....alad/
Use whatever veggies work for you. Doesn't have to be mushroom and tomato.

You can use just a teaspoon of oil for a pan of vegetables. You can also just use oil spray but I don't recommend it as a drop of oil is necessary for digesting vegetables properly (you can get stomach aches) and also benefiting from the nutrients.

Blended zucchini soup is deliciously creamy with hardly any fat and no added carbs.

CatLady

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 7:58 pm
Quinoa may be your new BFF. For breakfast, you can use it as the base of a breakfast bowl, topped with fruit and Greek Yogurt, and maybe a sprinkle of nuts. It can also be turned into a salad (tabbouleh with tons of chopped parsley, oil & lemon dressing and chopped tomato and onion), or with leftover roasted veggies.

Definitely invest in a spiralizer. You can do everything from zucchini to cucumbers to potatoes (spray with onion-flavoured cooking spray and then roast at high heat for amazing curly fries!), even apples which can be dusted with cinnamon and topped with a few raisins and nuts then baked. Cauliflower is another staple in my house. I use it to make breakfast hash browns, served with a fried egg. (Season with salt, pepper, paprika & pan-fry in a no-stick pan)

Now might be the time to try a different veggie for crudites. In addition to the typical carrots & celery, I also like fennel and jicama to munch on.

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 4:11 am
Hi, we do not do gebrokts, only peeled veggies, no processed products, etc and have nut allergies. Therefore I do not bother with baking, so that cuts out a major source of fattening foods. I also do not like matza, eat the minimum required only. I do use olive oil liberally, but still lose.
For breakfast, I make a big fruit compote. Lots of roasted veggies, salad, blended soups. Skinless chicken or goulash meat or lean minced meat and some variety of potato or sweet potato for other meals, with homemade fat free tomato sauce, roasted red pepper sauce or a bit of wine.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 4:12 am
low carb pesach recipes
https://www.ou.org/life/inspir.....over/

Iymnok

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 9:19 am
Iymnok wrote:

This is what she sent me.

1 egg
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 1/3 cups vegetable or canola oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Use food processor or immersion blender

Slowly drizzle the oil in last to make it thick.

She makes it year round, so the ingredients will need to be adjusted a little.

etky

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 9:33 am
Belle wrote:
What brand is your "light" matzo? I have never seen that before.

It's called מצת סובין or מצה קלה.
Several matzo companies make it.
I think the one I got last year was Carmel. IIRC Aviv also makes it.
I haven't bought any yet this year. I'm hoping that when I go shopping on Wednesday they'll have it in so I can stock up (it goes quickly...).
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics