Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Business Idea - No or Go?
1  2  Next

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 7:39 pm
I’m posting privately because I’ve been bouncing this idea off lots of people the past few weeks.

As a graphic designer, I usually print up my own custom labels with a simple happy purim and my family name. This year, with a new baby and a new schedule, I just didn’t have the head to do it. A few days before Purim I went to my local Purim superstore to get what I needed for Mishloach Manos. I went to look at the labels and was quite disappointed with the selection. They were either childish with clowns and balloons, or just cheap looking metallic ones. Nothing classy, clean or modern. More or less, just the same ones they’ve been selling since I was a kid. (btw what’s the deal with the To_______ lines? I’ve never seen anyone fill that in with the recipients name... What )

I’m thinking of starting up a small business that will print classy and modern Purim labels and tags. I have a few ideas and being that they’re cheap to produce I can really offer a selection.

Different paper types, colored inks, fonts etc.
I’m thinking of also possibly making labels with initials. So the Cohens and the Carlebachs can use a label with a Mongram ‘C’ and the Goldsteins and Goldbergs can buy the ‘G’ option. Tada, (almost) custom labels for a fraction of the price.
Round, square, rectangle, clear, stickers, tags....endless possibilities.

The feedback I’ve got so far is pretty supportive of the idea, however no one I spoke to thinks that any retail stores will pick them up. The reason being that the people who want nice classy labels are the ones that spend a lot of their perfect Mishloach Manos and custom make their labels. The other’s don’t really care and would stick anything on it, regardless of the design.

What do you think? Does this idea have potential? Is there a demand for this, or is it just me who feels the market is lacking?
Anyone in the retail business who this would pertain to, would you carry this item?
If I do go ahead with it, should I just start by selling on Instagram and skipping the stores altogether?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 7:58 pm
I love the idea and I would buy it all year round, not just Purim. An Instagram account will be good whichever way you decide to sell them.

mirror

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 8:01 pm
Stores are only interested in things that will sell out fast, as the stores are paying rent by the square foot.

There are many items that are profitable even though mainstream stores don't carry them, like my drain snake hair clog remover tool. I definitely think you should start a web site showing your different designs for Purim labels. If you want to do business year round, then consider labels for birthday party bags also.

cm

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 8:03 pm
I don't live in a community where "Purim labels" exist - you use home-created labels or regular gift tags. What sort of store would stock them? Judaica shops? That seems very limited.

I'm not in retail, but my gut feeling is you might do better doing custom-made labels for individual customers. The business may grow into all sorts of labels (and maybe cards, too) without limiting you to what a Judaica shop might want to sell.

imeinu

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 8:06 pm
It sounds like a nice idea in theory -- I might even impulse buy them come purim, but I think as a business idea is is not sound as there is nothing to stop the next person from doing the same & cheaper.

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 8:07 pm
I bought place cards for Purim labels when I wanted to send out classy ones. You could sell them in year round party stores which is where I bought the place cards.

BTW, we use the "to" on the label because I am not always around to sort the MM out. Some people have allergies and sometimes I personalize the MM in other ways.

Stars

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 8:18 pm
What would you lose by printing a few samples and creating an instagram account?

gibberish

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 8:39 pm
Personally, I think the markert for this type of business would be very small.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 8:44 pm
Why focus only on Purim labels?

There are other custom Judaica labeling needs, from upsherin tags to Hebrew printed wedding favors. Don't these services already exist, though? Presumably the same places would also custom-print Purim labels if people were interested.

I don't see how you could make millions, but it could be worth it as a side income.

return2You

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 8:45 pm
Open an Etsy account, but broaden your scope to secular holidays as well, if you're comfortable with it. Etsy is the perfect platform for this.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 9:22 pm
That sounds so cute! Go with it! I would totally use them! And like stars said, what can you lose?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 9:28 pm
I print my own from the Avery template for a few dollars....whatever color, monogram etc I want. I write Purim Sameach or whatever on it plus our names. They have classy premade templates by the dozens too

300 for $7 plus the ink you end up using

https://www.amazon.com/Avery-P.....label

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:29 am
amother wrote:
I print my own from the Avery template for a few dollars....whatever color, monogram etc I want. I write Purim Sameach or whatever on it plus our names. They have classy premade templates by the dozens too

300 for $7 plus the ink you end up using

[link removed]

seems like you posted wrong doc. Has ppls names and phone numbers...

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:31 am
amother wrote:
seems like you posted wrong doc. Has ppls names and phone numbers...

Mine is fixed - perhaps you could delete that info from your own post. Thank you

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:43 am
return2You wrote:
Open an Etsy account, but broaden your scope to secular holidays as well, if you're comfortable with it. Etsy is the perfect platform for this.

Its definitely an Etsy type of idea.

Although:

(1) I've purchased beautiful Purim labels in the past, on nice stock with groggers, masks, etc thick cut outs -- the kind of thing you buy at Papyrus.

(2) Of course we use the "To" line. Not everyone lives in a house. Not every apartment building allows people to go upstairs to drop things off.

Fox

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:46 am
I'm with Stars, YoungishBear, and Return2You on this: it's very cheap to test out this idea, and even if you don't make a parnosseh, it could lead to a very nice side income.

It's also a great way to showcase your work even if you don't sell a ton of labels. My DD is a graphic artist, and I am amazed at the number of private commissions she gets as a result of people seeing various little things she's created.

As YB said, Purim labels are just one facet of the potential market. Custom-designed cards for organizations, enclosure cards, stationery, and place cards would make great products, too.

Don't be deterred by the fact that nobody is braying for high-end Purim labels or similar products. Listen, if you'd come to me in the late 80s and said, "Hey, Fox, how about you and your DH scrape together some money to invest in coffeehouses that will sell coffee for $5 a cup?" -- well, I would have rolled my eyes so far back they'd have gotten stuck. Even if your potential market isn't Starbucks-sized, I can imagine this being a very successful venture for you.

glamourmom

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 8:00 am
I would buy them. I wouldn't buy a few hundred but if you sell them in packs of 20 I'd get it and put it on different stuff I send out like a gift or some cookies I send to a friend. if you have the one with a monogrammed letter on it and no other wording it can be used for anything.

loads of luck. I love the idea.

CatLady

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 8:20 am
I'd also target the wedding industry, which is huge business! Real estate agents might also be good customers.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 8:45 am
Thank you everyone for your responses. They're all really helpful and I'm really getting a better idea of what people would want to see.

Now to clarify some things...

Quote:
I don't live in a community where "Purim labels" exist - you use home-created labels or regular gift tags. What sort of store would stock them? Judaica shops? That seems very limited.

I live in Lakewood. Here, almost every Jewish store that sells anything Purim related sells labels (grocery, judaica, toy stores etc.)

Quote:

as a business idea is is not sound as there is nothing to stop the next person from doing the same & cheaper.

You're right. And someone can very well take my idea from here. I'm not scared of competition, that is, if there is a market for this. I plan to offer low prices and possibly free shipping as my overhead is next to nothing. Paper, labels, printer, printer ink. And of course my own time.

Quote:
I bought place cards for Purim labels when I wanted to send out classy ones. You could sell them in year round party stores which is where I bought the place cards.

You just gave me a great idea. Maybe I can also sell "personalized" in-formals and thank you cards. Just a monogrammed letter on a nice card stock. Envelopes come free.

Quote:
There are other custom Judaica labeling needs, from upsherin tags to Hebrew printed wedding favors. Don't these services already exist, though? Presumably the same places would also custom-print Purim labels if people were interested.

I know these exist. My idea is different. It's not customized per customer, costumers pick from my selection of monogrammed labels. If there is a demand, I may branch out and personalize, though it may make me put more time in that I don't have, I work for a marketing company right now.

Quote:
I print my own from the Avery template for a few dollars....whatever color, monogram etc I want

So do I. Except this year when I just coudln't sit down and do it. Also, not everyone has access to a computer, printer etc. They still want nice labels that match the color of their theme.

Quote:
it's very cheap to test out this idea, and even if you don't make a parnosseh, it could lead to a very nice side income

It would be more as a hobby for me. I enjoy this work, but as I mentioned earlier, I do work part time and have a baby (2 of them actually, to be exact). I don't want to be busy customizing labels for every customer. I just want to offer nice classic labels that can be offered at a much cheaper price than custom made ones.

Quote:
if you sell them in packs of 20 I'd get it and put it on different stuff I send out like a gift or some cookies I send to a friend. if you have the one with a monogrammed letter on it and no other wording it can be used for anything

Thanks for the vote. Initially I plan on selling them by the sheet. If it takes off I may institute a minimum order. But yes, if there is no "Simchas Purim" or anything of the sort, it can be used for anything.

Quote:
I'd also target the wedding industry, which is huge business! Real estate agents might also be good customers.

What do you mean by wedding? Only thing I can think of is monogrammed thank you cards, which I've mentioned earlier. Maybe cheap custom benchers, printed on nice card stock with monogram on front. It can come out a lot cheaper than customizing your own.
What about real estate?

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 9:51 am
I linked some pictures below from this year's Family First Purim ideas.
This is not my work. Credit for the labels goes to OMG Design, Mishloach Manos ideas, Esther Ottensoser.

I want to offer labels like these, but offer no customization. Costumer chooses one of the my designs, color and font style. Presto, custom label, but not much work on my end (that is, not much work on my end once I have all my options set up and ready to print).

*Edited to fix the pictures
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics