Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Places in usa that dont get very cold in winter
1  2  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 12:53 pm
?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 12:57 pm
Florida
Southern California
Georgia
Texas
Nevada
Arizona
Louisiana

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:00 pm
I would imagine florida- miami has largest jewish communities?compared to the other names you mentioned,
how is life there? and im afraid it is extremely hot in the summer , is that true?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:18 pm
amother wrote:
I would imagine florida- miami has largest jewish communities?compared to the other names you mentioned,
how is life there? and im afraid it is extremely hot in the summer , is that true?

Yes Miami is extremely hot in the summer

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:20 pm
How does that effect daily life, does everyone have pools,?
Can u give me more info?
we really want to move...

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:20 pm
Honey, wherever it's not cold in the winter will be hot in the summer.

I mean, if NYS is hot in the summer then anywhere warmer will be hotter.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:29 pm
Coastal California and the Pacific Northwest stay cooler in the summer than inland areas and have mild winters. La Jolla (near San Diego) and Santa Monica/Venice in southern California, Portland, Seattle.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:38 pm
Palo Alto (near San Francisco, but without the fog) is a very mild climate year round. It's expensive, but I genuinely don't think it can be beat weather wise if you're looking to avoid both excessive heat and excessive cold.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:40 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Coastal California and the Pacific Northwest stay cooler in the summer than inland areas and have mild winters. La Jolla (near San Diego) and Santa Monica/Venice in southern California, Portland, Seattle.

A word of warning about Portland and Seattle is that it does snow there (not frequently, but it definitely happens). If you're ok with some occasional snow / freezing temps, the rest of the year can be quite lovely and they do not get super hot in the summers.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:41 pm
Miami summers are not necessarily hotter than NY summers but they tend to be more humid and last a lot longer. People mostly do indoor stuff when it's very hot.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
How does that effect daily life, does everyone have pools,?
Can u give me more info?
we really want to move...

I live in LA. I would say most people here do NOT have pools. Some people have tiny pools.

Here the weather is really nice, but for about 3-4 months a year (July - October) you must run AC, which can get expensive.

No one walks in the summer - too hot.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 2:05 pm
amother wrote:

ROFL. LA is way bigger than Miami. More expensive but much larger. Just because everyone knows the snowbirds from NY or those who retire there doesn't make it a bigger community. Outside of NY/NJ, Los Angeles is the next largest Jewish city in the USA.
Winters range, but this year was a very wet year for us. We had a number of rainy days (BH! Out of the drought at least for now!!) but it was never snowy or terribly cold. 40s at the worst overnight. Summer is hot, 80s and 90s usually but zero humidity so it's better than NY summer. We get about 2-3 weeks of 100s. (All temperatures for "the city" but valleys get higher in the summer and cooler in the winter). Blue skies almost year round. My toddlers are in short sleeves now. We have a short drive to the beach, we can go to the mountains (big bear) in the winter to play in snow (not a long drive).
It's expensive but there is such a large frum community! We have new schools, shuls, kollels etc opening up all the time! So many restaurants and Jewish organizations- bikur cholim, women's bikur cholim (ateres avigael), chai lifeline, Etta Israel ( special needs), yachad...tomchei shabbos, gemachs...
I can't count the shuls. Schools: elementary we have 10 that I can list without thinking twice. Girls high schools: beis Yaakov, YULA, valley Torah, bnos devorah, Ohel Chana Chabad, bnos Esther...boys: valley, YULA, yeshiva gedola, Chabad, calabasas, MBY, Ohr chanoch... And I am easily missing some from all categories.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 2:46 pm
Jacksonville, FL.
Don't have the cold winters and doesn't get as hot as Miami and have more seasonal variations than Miami.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
Jacksonville, FL.
Don't have the cold winters and doesn't get as hot as Miami and have more seasonal variations than Miami.

is there a proper community there?
schools shuls ect?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 3:06 pm
While temps can get cold here, it rarely gets frigid. The 3 winters I have been in Cincinnati have been mild. Definitely nothing like NY/Cleveland/etc. It is southwest Ohio, so don't compare it to northern ohio, which is very cold. It also doesn't get very hot in the summer, which, to me, is a huge plus!

There are many more redeeming qualities to this community than just the weather, though.

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 3:14 pm
Las Vegas, although summer is hot

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 3:19 pm
challahchallah wrote:
A word of warning about Portland and Seattle is that it does snow there (not frequently, but it definitely happens). If you're ok with some occasional snow / freezing temps, the rest of the year can be quite lovely and they do not get super hot in the summers.

In the Vancouver, Seattle, Portland area, it gets up to 90 maybe once in the summer and snows some years in the winter. There is a light frost for many mornings. There are plenty of cool cloudy days and rain. If you want snow, the cascade mountain range has the all ski slopes and sledding hills you'll need.
Because of the climate, the scenery is absolutely gorgeous. Definitely not hot.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 8:52 pm
amother wrote:
While temps can get cold here, it rarely gets frigid. The 3 winters I have been in Cincinnati have been mild. Definitely nothing like NY/Cleveland/etc. It is southwest Ohio, so don't compare it to northern ohio, which is very cold. It also doesn't get very hot in the summer, which, to me, is a huge plus!

There are many more redeeming qualities to this community than just the weather, though.

I beg to differ Smile

I think we have been lucky as of late (global warming or whatever), and didn't have major snowfall. We did have some absolutely freezing weather a year or two ago. This year was mild, and I'm not complaining..but I wouldn't trust that it will always be like this. It seems that the seasons are just starting later and ending later...I've found the summers to be quite hot and humid, though again some reprieves in the past few years...just nothing to be able to rely on.

I do think it's a great community for many reasons, but the weather seems to have a mind of its own and I don't trust us to continue having mild seasons enough to be able to tell others to move her with the assumption we'll have good weather Very Happy

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 9:01 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I beg to differ Smile

I think we have been lucky as of late (global warming or whatever), and didn't have major snowfall. We did have some absolutely freezing weather a year or two ago. This year was mild, and I'm not complaining..but I wouldn't trust that it will always be like this. It seems that the seasons are just starting later and ending later...I've found the summers to be quite hot and humid, though again some reprieves in the past few years...just nothing to be able to rely on.

I do think it's a great community for many reasons, but the weather seems to have a mind of its own and I don't trust us to continue having mild seasons enough to be able to tell others to move her with the assumption we'll have good weather Very Happy

I never realized you are a neighbor! I will just have to wonder who you are Very Happy
If you look at many of the communities they are discussing, it is very hot there. No comparison to here! No one thinks weather is guaranteed, of course! Just sharing my experience. Also, the OP asked for places that don't get VERY cold, not places that aren't cold. To me, the temps here are normal cold. Yes, I was here when the kids weren't allowed to walk to school... but those days were rare. It feels just regular cold to me, not VERY cold.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 9:22 pm
It shouldn't take long Wink

I agree we're nothing like Florida. But we still have heat and humidity, and I don't want anyone getting false impressions like someone I know who complained she was misled and didn't realize how cold it can get (Purim a couple years ago).

My husband wants to live in La Jolla (now that gave me away). He can dream all he wants, but the summer he spent there has made it his fantasy to always have that kind of weather.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating