Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Question for mothers of Lakewood high school girls
  Previous  1  2  3   17  18  19  Next

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 7:12 am
You couldn't pay me to send my young teen daughter to a school out of town, without first doing my best to find her a local option.

Someone told me yesterday that this year is another tough year - that there are 140 less slots than needed. I don't know if that includes the newest schools or not. My heart breaks for what this will do to so many teens. The only thing I can say, though, is I hope it helps build up some of the newer schools, so that they become options for more people, because that's what we need here - not OOT options.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
yes, the great out of town, where everyone is warm and caring. Guess what? If 100 families would move there from Lakewood, they would also start being picky. Any place with lots of frum families has this problem, but when it comes to chessed, Lakewood cant be beat.

You keep telling yourself that...

And Trump will make America Great Again and there will be Peace in the Middle East

Ilovemaryland

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 11:31 am
Chayalle wrote:
You couldn't pay me to send my young teen daughter to a school out of town, without first doing my best to find her a local option.

Someone told me yesterday that this year is another tough year - that there are 140 less slots than needed. I don't know if that includes the newest schools or not. My heart breaks for what this will do to so many teens. The only thing I can say, though, is I hope it helps build up some of the newer schools, so that they become options for more people, because that's what we need here - not OOT options.

Chayalle you have the luxury to say that
Your daughters already have a school..

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 11:38 am
Ilovemaryland wrote:
There's always Bais Yacob of Greater Washington... Any girl who comes there from Lakewood says she got a much better education..

There is no school by that name. There is the Yeshiva of Greater Washington and both Bais Yaakov and Bnos Yisroel in Baltimore. Yeshiva of Greater Washington has not has the best reputation of late with regards to the girls they take. The really good girls in Silver Spring have been going to school in Baltimore as a result. Please do research if you are really interested in OOT school options.

debsey

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 11:49 am
Chayalle wrote:
I just heard yesterday that it was decided to delay answers until after Pesach.

I feel for the girls who will have to be "on shpilkes" all Pesach.

I hope some of the newer schools will finally get a shot. I really think BBY will become one of those sought after schools, with the new administration.

Ilovemaryland

Post Fri, Mar 24 2017, 11:52 am
Maybe things have changed. A few years ago , maybe 4 , about 5 girls ate by me over Shabbos and were all raving about the Greater Washington school

Also the Lakewood Shopper ( lakewoodshopper.com) once ran a story about a few girls who were rejected by a number of Lakewood schools and went to GW . They all said they got a far superior education to the places that rejected them..

You might also want to check
Www.greatschools.org and see its reviews vs Lakewood schools

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 1:10 pm
Chayalle wrote:

But will that happen in time for next fall ???

rae

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 2:54 pm
I think most girls are happy with the delay, I know my daughter is. As nervous as she is about answers she doesn't want any of her friends not getting in. These are great girls on the line. Most of them are hoping that they figure it out before answers go out.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 6:38 am
rae wrote:
I think most girls are happy with the delay, I know my daughter is. As nervous as she is about answers she doesn't want any of her friends not getting in. These are great girls on the line. Most of them are hoping that they figure it out before answers go out.

I think that is the reason for the delay - to give the schools time to try to accommodate more students.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 6:38 pm
The delay is the best thing. The girls that are getting in right away know that they are getting in. The girls that are not less embarrassment for them.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 7:36 pm
Now I'm confused and nervous. How do certain girls know they are in?

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 7:49 pm
They have pull, Their parents got confirmation from schools principals or their rav or whoever else was putting in a good word for their child. Many kids know where they are going already they just didn't get that official piece of paper.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:23 am
Some schools have lists of which of their students are accepted to a high school, so they can work to get the rest of them in.

(heard this from someone who got a call from her daughter's school, her DD is not on that list Sad and she was advised to use whatever pull she can....)

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:39 pm
when my first daughter was applying, there was a delay also. They didnt find out till shavous. Usually you will get a letter stating when the letters will be going out.
My heart breaks for these girls and families. My situation was a horrible one!!!! it is really a stressful time for those girls that do not get accepted. Truth be told, and not to scare you, but if you dont get accepted now, you might not have an answer till the middle of the summer. Dont let your daughters take it personally.You can be the brightest and most tzinus girl and for some reason, do not get accepted.
ALSO, I will tell you this. And this is not to bash or to say loshon hora, but if you feel like your daughter will not fit in to a certain school, the please please open your mouth. Alot of times a school like bais shaindel will take a girl, because there is no other options. If you fit that mold then great. If not dont let them do you any favors cuz they will ruin your precious daughter. This is coming from true facts.
Also when your daughter gets accepted eep her mouth shut. dONT Tell anyone until its almost time for schools. Schools have been known to take acceptances away from girls because of vicious lies and blatant loshon hora.
Also dont be scared to go to a new school. Yesodos I hear is amazing, and I feel will be a sought sfter school iyh in the future.
Hatzlocha in these anxious times

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:52 pm
Agree with salmon's post - but I'm horrified that people would get a girl unaccepted to a school. That's simply horrible.

I also think that Yesodos has such a warm, nice staff. I think if they get a solid group of girls, it will enhance their standing and build them - and they have a basis on which to build. Lakewood needs more schools.

Emotional

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:55 pm
So what usually happens in the end? How many girls are left with no place to go come September?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 2:00 pm
I think in the end, most girls will find a place, though it might not be their first choice, or their 2nd....it may be one of the newer schools.

I think that Salmon makes a good point - no one should be forced to send their child to a school that is really not a good fit.

On the flip side, people need to be open to the fact that there can be a school that is a good fit for their child, even if it's not their dream choice.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 4:27 am
Any updates on the school situation? Anybody know?

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:01 am
Following...

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:51 am
Answers are coming out the end of the week? Graduation trip is Wednesday so it's coming out right after that.
Page 2 of 19   Previous  1  2  3   17  18  19  Next Recent Topics