Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Does this feel wrong to you?
1  2  Next

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 2:52 pm
http://www.nydailynews.com/ent.....11429

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 2:56 pm
very wrong. not sure what the movie is all about but if they compare these characters to woman embarrassing!!

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:55 pm
Meh. Everyone knows these people are fanatics not playing with a full deck.

treestump

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:59 pm
That's a new level of twisted.

Besides, Smurfette is Demi Lovato! How can they erase Smurfette? Outrage.

treestump

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:00 pm
amother wrote:
Meh. Everyone knows these people are fanatics not playing with a full deck.

That's what is so alarming. Why are crazy fanatics controlling the community and setting the (insane) standards?

tigerwife

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:01 pm
Lol.
Removing the female but advertising a movie. I'm sure the Bnei Barakers who will watch it don't really care if they are women in the movie.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:06 pm
This is utterly ridiculous. Why are they advertising movies in Bnei Brak in the first place? Isn't it a waste of money? Unless the town has become more diverse recently.

But note the careful wording:

"The PR company promoting “Smurfs: The Lost Village” movie, which opens Thursday in Israel, says it has removed the images of Smurfette — the only female among the Smurfs characters — from promo posters in the central Israeli city of Bnei Brak.

The Mirka’im-Hutzot Zahav company says it did so as not to offend the city’s ultra-Orthodox residents."

From the word choice it seems they did this preemptively, without actually knowing that it would offend.

This is odd on so many levels.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:07 pm
treestump wrote:
That's a new level of twisted.

Besides, Smurfette is Demi Lovato! How can they erase Smurfette? Outrage.

Notice it said that the PR company did it, not that anyone objected, requested, demanded. It may not have been an actual problem.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:08 pm
I might not agree with it but I respect this point of view and people. When you want to serve hashem to the fullest you sometime make mistakes. It's better to err on the chumra than to have all the smutz that we embraced so gladly.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:10 pm
treestump wrote:
That's what is so alarming. Why are crazy fanatics controlling the community and setting the (insane) standards?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't BB populated mostly if not entirely by these crazy fanatics? Isn't it the burg where modesty squads harrass you if they don't like your hemline or the cut of your sleeves? Isn't it the place where they make life so unpleasant for secular folks who move in that they move right out?

Come to think of it, why is the film company bothering to advertise movies in BB at all? Do they know something we don't, like that the Sons of Braq are secretly watching videos in the privacy of their own linen closets?

youngishbear

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:14 pm
amother wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't BB populated mostly if not entirely by these crazy fanatics? Isn't it the burg where modesty squads harrass you if they don't like your hemline or the cut of your sleeves? Isn't it the place where they make life so unpleasant for secular folks who move in that they move right out?

Come to think of it, why is the film company bothering to advertise movies in BB at all? Do they know something we don't, like that the Sons of Braq are secretly watching videos in the privacy of their own linen closets?

And even if this were true,
a - I doubt they're watching the Smurfs
b - the ads are for theater showings, not DVDs

Curioser and curioser.

das

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:

You're wrong.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:28 pm
das wrote:
You're wrong.
Says you. Look up an old, old, old thread about modesty squads or vaad hatznius as it was called. Maybe it's out of fashion but it was a big thing in BB some years ago.

Correction it was called mishmetet tzniut not vaad tzniut.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:28 pm
amother wrote:

Huh?
My husband learned in Bnei Brak for years, and I visited a number of times. It is in no way like you describe, at least to outsiders.

ariellabella

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:46 pm
das wrote:
You're wrong.

I agree. It is not like that at all.
Maybe she's thinking of Meah Shearim?

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:50 pm
What I want to know is why is this such important news that a cough cough respected journalistic pillar as the Daily Nuisance sees fit to devote column inches to this non-event? Must have been a slow day in Gotham.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 10:52 pm
has nobody heard of 'vexy smurf' ... the other female in the male dominated smurfville

das

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 12:38 am
amother wrote:
Says you. Look up an old, old, old thread about modesty squads or vaad hatznius as it was called. Maybe it's out of fashion but it was a big thing in BB some years ago.

Correction it was called mishmetet tzniut not vaad tzniut.

So because there's an old thread on Imamother about something that may or may not be true you feel free to speak badly on an entire town of Jews, calling it a town populated by crazy fanatics and more?

Sad.

FTR, I've been to BB many times. It is a lovely place, populated by many wonderful G-d fearing Jews. I presume these Jews have never harmed you so I'm puzzled as to why you would feel the need to besmirch them.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 1:56 am
amother wrote:
I might not agree with it but I respect this point of view and people. When you want to serve hashem to the fullest you sometime make mistakes. It's better to err on the chumra than to have all the smutz that we embraced so gladly.

This exactly is the ugly consequence of removing females.
We get seen as shmutz.
It is not a chumra to have a male universe. It is an aberration.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 2:25 am
Bnei Brak may have many charedim but over all bnei brak is a completely mixed community. There are dati, not dati, charedi people living in bnei brak. It is not only chardi people living there. And for all of those who think it is, it is obvious that you have never been there. It also borders on ramat gan which is completely not charedi.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics