Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Should I kick her out

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 10:58 pm
My daughter is just about a year old. She still nurses a few times a night. I NEED MY SLEEP! she also eats three meals a day. And I don't mind dropping all night feedings. I wanted to go slowly so I started with the 10:30 one. That was over a week ago. She still wakes up every night crying. I was worried that maybe she is hungry. I nursed her and she took a few sips. She wakes every night between 10:20 and 10:30 so this is very habitual. Tonight she screamed and screamed. I couldn't take it anymore so I left the room. Within a minute she calmed down! Now I am wondering if she she will sleep better once her milk supply is not in the room with her. What do you all say? I really did not want to sleep train before pesach but I also don't want to be waking every two and half hours to feed her Sad

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 11:07 pm
I think your theory is right, she associates you with nursing so maybe if you're not there she won't expect to nurse. Once the nursing schedule is broken then she probably won't do that anymore. If she calms down in less than a minute that's not "sleep training," that's her saying she's fine with you leaving.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 11:43 pm
Yes!!!

A 1 year old souls definitely be in her own room, especially if you are trying to sleep train

zigi

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 12:35 am
have a bottle of water or a sippy cup she can get to if she is thirsty

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 12:53 am
OMG you are still feeding her at night? Why on earth?

Cut out the night feedings ASAP. She may cry for 1-3 nights and then that's it. No need for sippy cup. She's not hungry/thirsty -she's a trained night feeder.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 6:20 am
zigi wrote:
have a bottle of water or a sippy cup she can get to if she is thirsty

She refuses to drink from it. Very strong minded little girl.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 6:22 am
Or is it bec I still am nursing her other times? Would she get the message faster if I cut out all night veins at once?

zigi

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 9:00 am
my dd nursed around the clock, she likes real water bottles beacause I drink from them, besides the fact that she was used to nursing, she really was thirsty, usually on the days that she was constipated. now that she is older and can go back to sleep herself when she wakes up she wants water.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 3:47 pm
If she seems to calm down when you aren't there, do it now. She may change her mind in a few weeks

capable

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 4:53 pm
I had exactly the same thing a few months ago! It wasn't necessary to stop feeding altogether but I cut out the feeds from bedtime until 6am. It took a few very difficult nights but what worked in the end was moving her out of my room.

Good luck! It's not easy! But worth being persistent

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:51 pm
Smokey..you have no idea if she is thirsty...I always err on the side of caution with that one...always have water offered to your babys....have you ever woken up in middle of the night and was thirsty...in parenting I try to treat my children how I like to be treated. It always boggles my mind how parents can confidently say their baby isnt thirsty...please moms offer your baby a drink...and when they cry for a while they are definetly thirsty. If you want to drop feedings dont go cold turkey and tramautize her....do it slow and one feeding at a time.Hope you get some well deserved rest. Very Happy

sky

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:00 pm
amother wrote:
OMG you are still feeding her at night? Why on earth?

Cut out the night feedings ASAP. She may cry for 1-3 nights and then that's it. No need for sippy cup. She's not hungry/thirsty -she's a trained night feeder.

Its hard to stop nursing babies. My 13 month is in my room still and wakes up most nights at least 1 time to eat (her night doesn't even start until 10:00 - she naps a lot by day while I work). My heart breaks letting her cry - its so pitiful.

Queen6

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:08 pm
To all the Moms who can relate to what the poster is talking about. This is what happens when you wait so long... Had you been scheduled from day 1 and moved baby out at a couple of months there never would be screaming nights. Now that you waited so long YES you must send baby out let the screaming Sad It's not fair to baby - but that's what happens when you wait so long. Do it right from the beginning and there are no screaming nights.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:15 pm
Queen6 wrote:
To all the Moms who can relate to what the poster is talking about. This is what happens when you wait so long... Had you been scheduled from day 1 and moved baby out at a couple of months there never would be screaming nights. Now that you waited so long YES you must send baby out let the screaming Sad It's not fair to baby - but that's what happens when you wait so long. Do it right from the beginning and there are no screaming nights.

Not every baby can be put on a schedule. I am not even going into it

smile12345

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 8:08 pm
Queen6 wrote:

How helpful.

And BTW - Just because a baby nurses in the night doesn't mean they aren't on a schedule. Hopefully your newborn babies aren't sleeping through a 12 hour night from day one.

To the OP - from my experience, moving out my room automatically makes them wake up much less throughout the night without any intentional training tactics.

Last edited by smile12345 on Tue, Mar 28 2017, 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommy_r

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 8:13 pm
Another option is to have your baby sleep in a room with your husband (either ask him to sleep in her room, or you sleep on the couch). This could be a gentler way of sleep-training her. I've noticed that my (nursing) babies will wake if I'm in the room but not if my husband's there (no food to wake up for!).

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 8:18 pm
mommy_r wrote:
Another option is to have your baby sleep in a room with your husband (either ask him to sleep in her room, or you sleep on the couch). This could be a gentler way of sleep-training her. I've noticed that my (nursing) babies will wake if I'm in the room but not if my husband's there (no food to wake up for!).

I love that idea. Just this moment I was thinking the same thing!

sky

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 8:28 pm
Queen6 wrote:

All my babies sleep through the night from birth until 5\6 months. Then they start waking multiple times.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics