Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Fish food for pesach
1  2  Next

sourstix

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 9:59 pm
Can someone help me find where I can find out which food is ok for pesach for Fish? I looked up the ou and I didn't see anything. I already looked up in blumenkranc but he doesn't give too many options at all. Does the ou deal with this?

Anyone can share what they feed and where I can lookup what's allowed? All ideas welcome. Thanks a lot. I would rather not have to feed my fish worms.

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 10:14 pm
You buy the blood worms. They're dried. Not yucky.

Rachel Shira

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 10:16 pm
We give bloodworms. I do think they're gross but there doesn't seem to be another option.

ariellabella

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 10:29 pm
I can suggest a few options. What kind of fish do you have? And what do you usually feed them?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 10:33 pm
Freeze dried worms. You dont have to touch them just sprinkle into the tank.

sourstix

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 10:33 pm
Fresh water fish and I feed them flakes.

sourstix

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 10:35 pm
[quote="ra_mom"]Freeze dried worms. You dont have to touch them just sprinkle into the tank.[/quote]

Can u tell me what the name of the one you have? Or a model number?

I'll take everyone's ideas.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 10:42 pm
We don't have fish anymore but here is a good option.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....=UTF8
It takes time for them to get used to switching.

sourstix

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 10:47 pm
Yes that's why I'm gonna give them starting tomorrow to get them used to it.

ariellabella

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 10:47 pm
What types of freshwater fish?
If you have goldfish or other omnivores, you can feed them crushed fresh or frozen peas a couple times a week.
If you have carnivores, you'll have to feed them more "gross" food. I like to use frozen cubes of brine shrimp or bloodworms. There are usually a few brands available at the pet store. Depending on how many fish you have and how big your tank is, you may be able to give one whole cube to save you from having to touch anything, but if you only have a few fish that would be way too much food all at once. Alternatively, like the others mentioned above, you can use freeze-dried food. It's not ideal, but should be ok for 8 days. These are a good brand: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/.....=4279

yOungM0mmy

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 10:48 pm
You can get a 7 day or 10 day brick of food, you drop it in and then leave it and they nibble away when they need, so you can put in before pesach and just leave them for the week.

ariellabella

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 10:55 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:
You can get a 7 day or 10 day brick of food, you drop it in and then leave it and they nibble away when they need, so you can put in before pesach and just leave them for the week.

I'm pretty sure if those blocks contain chametz, then you're still benefitting from chametz. I guess it may be an "ask your LOR" issue.

ariellabella

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 10:58 pm
Just found this on the Star K list:

Fish food and vacation blocks often contain chometz. The following are acceptable: Zoo Med Laboratories Giant Plankton Banquet Block Feeder and Tetra Tropical Slow Release Gel Feeders (Tetra Weekend 5 days, and Tetra Vacation 14 days). Goldfish and tropical fish can be given tubular worms, frozen brine shrimp, and freeze dried worms (if they do not contain fillers).

sourstix

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 11:07 pm
Thank you so much for your help. I have carnivores and I have glow fish.

What do u think it means when they say " fillers"?

ariellabella

Post Sat, Mar 25 2017, 11:32 pm
sourstix wrote:
Thank you so much for your help. I have carnivores and I have glow fish.

What do u think it means when they say " fillers"?

Some frozen fish foods have extra ingredients, e.g.: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/.....=9035

If you check the labels, they should just list the bloodworms or brine shrimp and nothing else.

sourstix

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 12:36 pm
Thank s so much for your help.

ariellabella

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 12:59 pm
sourstix wrote:
Thank s so much for your help.

Any time. Also, I just noticed that some of the freeze dried foods have fillers too. At least the Hikari tubifex that I have at home does.

LisaS

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 8:29 pm
Maybe I should give the fish away to a local gentile, since I can't easily get KLP fish food in Israel. It is already more than a year old goldfish, and I'd be happier finding it a new home then worrying about a pet-loss over the holiday. (thinking out loud..)

Fabulous

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 8:33 pm
LisaS wrote:
Maybe I should give the fish away to a local gentile, since I can't easily get KLP fish food in Israel. It is already more than a year old goldfish, and I'd be happier finding it a new home then worrying about a pet-loss over the holiday. (thinking out loud..)

Yeah, I usually give my fish away for pesach

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 10:00 pm
frozen blood worms ~ they taste better
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics