Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Seder & the dreaded guests

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 12:34 am
Quite often people don't ask to come for fear of rejection. It doesn't take much for an already down person to feel even worse. So they procrastinate in hopes that they will be thought of.

How can anyone wonder why people would rather be alone than to beg to come for a yom tov meal ?!

Really considering what we say in the haggada how do we lose sight so readily ...

those who are hungry come & eat כל דכפין ייתי וייכול
those who are needy come & partake כל דצריך ייתי ויפסח

Patience, love & understanding is not something we automatically have. It is something we work on when a need arises. We eat matza to be humble yet we have no room for guests? Does anybody really know where any one of us might be if we were to step in another person's shoes? After all, matza and bread are both flour & water. However, the bread is filled with EGO. Edging God Out. Just like we prepare in advance of pesach lest there be chometz around; perhaps we should prepare for moshiach with more ahavas ha'olam.

If we have room in our heart there is room by the table. אם יש מקום בלב מקום בשלחן

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 12:39 am
Thank you greenfire for this very important reminder!
I am trying as best as I can and wish I could invite everybody for all meals so that I know that everybody has a place at all times. But some people won't eat with others and then I have to let everybody down for at least some of the time Sad
I hope everybody will come for at least one meal, spread out in a way that makes everybody comfortable. I wish I could be there for everybody! Sad

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 1:22 am
greenfire wrote:
Quite often people don't ask to come for fear of rejection. It doesn't take much for an already down person to feel even worse. So they procrastinate in hopes that they will be thought of.

How can anyone wonder why people would rather be alone than to beg to come for a yom tov meal ?!

Really considering what we say in the haggada how do we lose sight so readily ...

those who are hungry come & eat כל דכפין ייתי וייכול
those who are needy come & partake כל דצריך ייתי ויפסח

Patience, love & understanding is not something we automatically have. It is something we work on when a need arises. We eat matza to be humble yet we have no room for guests? Does anybody really know where any one of us might be if we were to step in another person's shoes? After all, matza and bread are both flour & water. However, the bread is filled with EGO. Edging God Out. Just like we prepare in advance of pesach lest there be chometz around; perhaps we should prepare for moshiach with more ahavas ha'olam.

If we have room in our heart there is room by the table. אם יש מקום בלב מקום בשלחן

Beautiful.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 21 2016, 4:59 am
You still have to feed and physically sit the guests, and also have them sleep over if they're not in walking distance. Hashem also created the physical world with its limits.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 6:01 pm
just feel like the world could always use a reminder ...

may Hashem grant us all enough sustenance to share with others or enough empathy to share the little that we have ... especially as we leave mitzraim & let us prepare not just for pesach but for the ultimate redemption with moshiach !!!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 6:39 pm
Amein! And may your Pesach be one wherein you really feel v'samachta b'chagecha!

agreer

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 9:47 pm
Beautiful thoughts, greenfire!

groovy1224

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 9:52 pm
greenfire wrote:
אם יש מקום בלב מקום בשלחן

Love this! So well said!

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 10:13 pm
Hello greenfire!
I love your charm.
Can I invite you for the Seder?

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:
Hello greenfire!
I love your charm.
Can I invite you for the Seder?

no but I'll take the olive & a martini

thanx anyways

[you do realize I have no idea what part of the continent you're on + you're posting anonymous she'b'anonymous]

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 5:44 am
Greenfire, you are always welcome to come to me. Very Happy

I am bad at inviting people. Sad Especially erev pesach when I am cooking, cleaning, ordering food, etc. But I hope people know they are always welcome in my home. I am happy to host as many as will fit in my dining room. I know someone whose limit was 12 people for the seder...since they had fancy china in a set of 12. Rolling Eyes

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 6:11 am
Listening to the radio in Israel this morning, a minister (I don't remember who) announced a phone number *8840, for people who want to host​ or be hosted for Seder. That's why I love this country.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 7:15 am
Part of continent buster;
upstate New York.

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 9:41 pm
Raisin wrote:
Greenfire, you are always welcome to come to me. Very Happy

& one day I hope to make it there Mr. Green

thanx

Raisin wrote:
I am bad at inviting people. Sad Especially erev pesach when I am cooking, cleaning, ordering food, etc. But I hope people know they are always welcome in my home. I am happy to host as many as will fit in my dining room. I know someone whose limit was 12 people for the seder...since they had fancy china in a set of 12. Rolling Eyes

this is when paper goods or different sizes should get used

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 12:32 am
I love the sentiment you shared!

I had a woman I know say "If I don't come to you I won't participate in a seder this year..."

Naturally I invited her HOWEVER I reminded her:
We start late and there is nothing to eat for a good two hours while we go through the Haggadah.

She said never mind.

I told her she should come and be a participant!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics