Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is decaf coffee terrible for under-5?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 2:33 pm
Gave my toddler a sip of my coffee the other day, thinking she wouldn't want more than that. I drink it with milk but no sugar. Well, so much for that. She loved it. I should have guessed- she'll convince herself she likes anything if I'm eating it, for better and for worse.

I'd never give her more than a sip of my coffee this young, but would a small cup of decaf be so terrible as a once-in-a-while or even once-a-week treat, like for Shabbos? I try to minimize her sugar intake so if the coffee isn't bad for her, I'd love to have a sugar-free treat she enjoys. Added bonus is that everyone I know started drinking coffee as a teen or young adult, often Shavuos night in shul or a late-night cramming session, and we all learned to drink it with heaps of sugar. I managed to adjust my tastes, but I'd love if she learned to like the flavor before someone convinces her it needs sweetening beyond milk.

bruriyah

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 2:35 pm
Why should giving her decaf be a problem? What are you worried about?

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 2:35 pm
It has the same amount of caffeine as a bar of chocolate. If you would let your kid have the chocolate its no different.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 2:53 pm
OP here- I guess I just have a mental association of coffee being for adults or near-adults. I didn't like it until I was a teen, though, so I was wondering if there's anything other than the caffeine to be concerned about.

bruriyah

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 2:57 pm
The amount of caffeine in decaf coffe is negligible. I wouldn't worry in the slightest.

sourstix

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 2:58 pm
that means decaff has caffeine. I thought I heard that once. so if im drinking decaff then im still getting caffiene. ok, just wanted to make sure.

lucky14

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 3:12 pm
It's great that she likes it without all the sugar. I don't think there's anything wrong with decaf for kids.

Redbird

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 3:12 pm
I have my 5yo iced coffee WITH caffiene 2 days ago, because it's a great laxative! She didn't like it though.

Aside fun the caffiene, coffee is full of antioxidants and is super healthy.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 3:21 pm
Thank you all! The earliest I'd allow an appreciable amount of caffeine is when she's no longer taking a daily nap. I guess maybe by the time she's 5 if she wants to stay up for most of the seder. And good point about the laxative effect, though she's also happy to eat prunes so we're mostly set on that front.

Redbird, I love your avatar! Did you photoshop it yourself, or was it formerly available?

queenert

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:06 pm
It's a total myth that coffee is not safe for children.
There was a coffee-alternative beverage that everyone thought was gross. Instead of just botching the product, the company started an ad campaign vilifying coffee. And it worked! Everyone still believes it! But there is absolutely no scientific basis to it.
Fascinating stuff.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/.....8068/

Liba

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:22 pm
My funny and odd concern would be that coffee can stain teeth over time. Five is really young to start in on that. Smile

Ahuva

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:59 pm
I dont remember the details, but I remember reading that the process used to decaffeinate the coffee beans involves harsh solvents that are unhealthy.
A quick google search should get you the info.

melalyse

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 9:33 pm
My 2 yr old loves coffee. I make him some decaf when I make my regular coffee. I try to go light on the coffee and heavy on the milk.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 9:44 pm
my coffee addict has grown up & now drinks black coffee

we used to have proper coffee in a cute toy coffee set on shabbos morning

Redbird

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 10:48 pm
Ahuva wrote:
I dont remember the details, but I remember reading that the process used to decaffeinate the coffee beans involves harsh solvents that are unhealthy.
A quick google search should get you the info.

This is true. When I buy decaf grounds I buy swiss water decaf, which is fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics