Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Affordable MO communities near the Bronx?
1  2  Next

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 2:46 pm
My husband works in the Bronx & hopefully he'll stay there for a long time since he has a good job. In the future, we're looking into moving, hopefully, into a bigger apartment or house. We currently live in Queens, but of course, prices are high if we want to move. Are there any nice places not too far from the Bronx with a modern orthodox community? I'm also looking for a place that's quiet and a good neighborhood (a suburb atmosphere type) Should be close to good yeshivas. Friendly, non-judgmental people.
Thanks!

pesek zman

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 2:48 pm
Riverdale is in the Bronx

Washington heights is close by

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 3:15 pm
Riverdale, Scarsdale, New Rochelle, Teaneck. All very nice communities, none any more affordable than Queens (I'd say with the exception of Teaneck, they're all even more expensive).

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:
Riverdale, Scarsdale, New Rochelle, Teaneck. All very nice communities, none any more affordable than Queens (I'd say with the exception of Teaneck, they're all even more expensive).

White Plains may be more affordable. North Riverdale is less expensive than South. There are also some Orthodox in Mt. Vernon and Yonkers.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:
White Plains may be more affordable. North Riverdale is less expensive than South. There are also some Orthodox in Mt. Vernon and Yonkers.

Most of Westchester is expensive. Mt Vernon is more affordable but tbh it's kind of a sketchy area. North Riverdale may be a little cheaper but I really don't think it's all that much cheaper than South and probably about the same as Queens (I looked into Riverdale when we were considering leaving Queens). I forgot about Yonkers. That is worth looking into.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:22 pm
Thanks for letting me know. I think we'll have to stay in Queens for now, good to know.. I know some areas in NJ are nice and have cheaper houses, but it will be further than the Bronx, unless he finds a job in that area one day.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:27 pm
Lots of people commute from teaneck to the Bronx.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:37 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for letting me know. I think we'll have to stay in Queens for now, good to know.. I know some areas in NJ are nice and have cheaper houses, but it will be further than the Bronx, unless he finds a job in that area one day.

Why don't you look around before making a decision? Who knows if people here are right.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:41 pm
Washington Heights is right near the Bronx but it's all apts. not private houses. What part of the Bronx will you be working or studying in? Driving or mass transit? This makes a big diff. You can walk to the Bronx from the Heights but probably not to the part you want. the Bronx is a big place. If you're going to be in Einstein for example, it's at least an hour and two buses away, though less if you're driving.,

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 5:42 pm
Teaneck is commutable to the Bronx. There are a fair amount of Teaneck kids who go to SAR.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 6:32 pm
Hardly any Teaneck elementary age children go to SAR. A few go to SAR high school. There are many Riverdale children who go to Rosenbaum Yeshiva of North Jersey.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:18 pm
amother wrote:
Hardly any Teaneck elementary age children go to SAR. A few go to SAR high school. There are many Riverdale children who go to Rosenbaum Yeshiva of North Jersey.

You're wrong.

There are a very few Riverdale kids who can to YNJ. I can only think of one family off the top of my head, although there may be a couple more. Certainly not "many." An increasing number go to WTA. There are also a few who go to MDS, Westchester Day, Ramaz, Heschel, and even Carmel. More right wing would send to Breuers or Yeshiva Ketana. But most Riverdale kids go to SAR Academy.

There is a not insubstantial number of Teaneck kids at SAR Academy. Enough that I drove to Teaneck on a more or less regular basis in the Academy years.

There is a surprisingly large number of Teaneck kids at SAR High School.

Riverdale teens mostly go to SAR High School. Some go to Frisch, Westchester Hebrew High, or Ramaz; occasionally, one goes to Heschel. Those who want (or whose parents want) single gender education mostly send to TABC or Maayanot, with a few at MTA. There used to be a group that went to Central, but I haven't heard of anyone sending there in years.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:44 pm
In response to Papaya, I personally know 10 Riverdale families with 2 or more kids who go to RYNJ. There 3 mini buses and a few parents who drive or have drivers.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:52 pm
amother wrote:
In response to Papaya, I personally know 10 Riverdale families with 2 or more kids who go to RYNJ. There 3 mini buses and a few parents who drive or have drivers.

10 Riverdale families isn't "many," particularly compared to the population of Riverdale, with maybe 150 or more families sending their kids to elementary day school. Ten is a small number.

Its particularly funny because a lot more than 10 families from Teaneck send to SAR, and you call that a "small number."

No matter. OP should know the options.

And I left out Beit Rabban. The occasional family sends there.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 8:04 pm
amother wrote:
You're wrong.

There are a very few Riverdale kids who can to YNJ. I can only think of one family off the top of my head, although there may be a couple more. Certainly not "many." An increasing number go to WTA. There are also a few who go to MDS, Westchester Day, Ramaz, Heschel, and even Carmel. More right wing would send to Breuers or Yeshiva Ketana. But most Riverdale kids go to SAR Academy.

There is a not insubstantial number of Teaneck kids at SAR Academy. Enough that I drove to Teaneck on a more or less regular basis in the Academy years.

There is a surprisingly large number of Teaneck kids at SAR High School.

Riverdale teens mostly go to SAR High School. Some go to Frisch, Westchester Hebrew High, or Ramaz; occasionally, one goes to Heschel. Those who want (or whose parents want) single gender education mostly send to TABC or Maayanot, with a few at MTA. There used to be a group that went to Central, but I haven't heard of anyone sending there in years.

No azure is right. I live in teaneck and don't know any elementary age kids who go to Sar from here. I'm sure there are a few but it's a small minority.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 11:16 pm
There are also Riverdale kids who go to the other Teaneck area elementary schools - not just YNJ. I also know a few Teaneck elementary kids who go to SAR.

OP - Fairlawn is also commutable to the Bronx and slightly more afforadable then Teaneck/Bergenfield.

princessleah

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 1:56 pm
Riverdale apartments are very affordable. Riverdale houses are not really affordable and not a good value (I live there).
For houses I would investigate Yonkers/White Plains?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 2:43 pm
In response to Papaya, A large number of students enroll at Westchester Torah Academy / WTA. It is also true that a large number of students (and teachers) leave WTA after a year there. To reduce costs, WTA uses computer-centric online learning which has proven to be controversial and has received a lot of negative press as of late.

Westchester Day School offers a traditional teacher-centric education and has reduced tuition in an effort to retain and win back students. Thanks to a UJA & Avi Chai endowment, their pre-k and earlier tuition is less than WTA's and tuition of the remaining grades is now based on a family's gross adjusted income making WDS again feasible for struggling middle-income families.

Then there's SAR. The most expensive of the three (by far) but with undeniably the best overall education. SAR received NY State accreditation five (?) years ago and just last year added classes for students with learning disabilities. Not really affordable but if your child has special needs, you might not have any other viable choices.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 3:09 pm
scarsdale has a nice new kosher supermarket

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 3:16 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
No azure is right. I live in teaneck and don't know any elementary age kids who go to Sar from here. I'm sure there are a few but it's a small minority.

I live in Teaneck too and I agree, there are very few elementary age kids from here who go to SAR. Some go to the high school, because it Frisch is so full. But I know many adults here who work in the Bronx.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating