Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What's the bare minimum?
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 1:53 pm
Stars wrote:
Not possible when you have a tiny house. Kitchen is in the center, open layout. Play area is right next to the table. Shabbos meals sometimes take long and kids "run off" (more like slide off their chairs and the toys are right there).

I totally agree.
Today I do as zaq suggests and pesach cleaning is so much simpler.
But when we were in a cozier apartment with an open layout and the kitchen at the center, it wasn't possible to keep the toys and books segregated.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 1:56 pm
So funny how things are cultural you take for granted. We have probably 5 cordless home phones - [we have one corded phones for shabbos labors and loss of electricity - but with FIOS you lose phone service with electricity anyways]. My main time to talk is when cooking in the kitchen so my phone are definitely an issue on pesach.

Stars

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 1:57 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I totally agree.
Today I do as zaq suggests and pesach cleaning is so much simpler.
But when we were in a cozier apartment with an open layout and the kitchen at the center, it wasn't possible to keep the toys and books segregated.

Thank you for your validation.

egam

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 2:10 pm
sky wrote:

the front page of the Hamodia Inyan had a fantastic list of the bare minimum.

I just read it and must say it's pretty good. And it does mention door knobs and light switches. My kitchen phone is covered with flour. Of course I'm going to wipe it, the one in the bedroom I wouldn't bother.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 5:04 am
I don't do light switches either. if there's FOOD there, I'd clean it much before Pessach. Toys and board games go on the table, but again I don't put them away with kezayt+ of food on them. I guess I'm cleaner than I would think lol.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 7:54 am
I've been listening to ALot of shiurim.
And lately the Rabbis have been saying that the ladies are doing WAY too much, unnecessarily.
These are VERY right wing rabbis.
So, although you call it the bare minimum, it's actually what the Halacha says to do.
The rest are chumras.

That being said,
This is why my rule always was,NO FOOD OUT OF THE TABLE, NO MATTER WHAT.
I grew up like that, and so did my kids.
Not even snacks.
Even an apple had to be eaten at the table.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 8:10 am
sky wrote:
So funny how things are cultural you take for granted. We have probably 5 cordless home phones - [we have one corded phones for shabbos labors and loss of electricity - but with FIOS you lose phone service with electricity anyways]. My main time to talk is when cooking in the kitchen so my phone are definitely an issue on pesach.

What's the issue? Wipe it down, and finished. I assume you don't have kezayis sized pieces of chometz stuck to the phone.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 8:24 am
amother wrote:
I've been listening to ALot of shiurim.
And lately the Rabbis have been saying that the ladies are doing WAY too much, unnecessarily.
These are VERY right wing rabbis.
So, although you call it the bare minimum, it's actually what the Halacha says to do.
The rest are chumras.

That being said,
This is why my rule always was,NO FOOD OUT OF THE TABLE, NO MATTER WHAT.
I grew up like that, and so did my kids.
Not even snacks.
Even an apple had to be eaten at the table.

I think it also depends on your apartment or house size. My toys are right next to my dining room table. Unless I sweep literally the second the meal ends things get kicked all over. Same with the kitchen. The table is right near the bedrooms. I found a cheerio in my daughters closet that I know got kicked there. Also if you dont sell actual chometz you cant just close up cabinets etc..

esuss

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 8:55 am
I always just lock up all the toys and have special Pesach toys. My toys are not put away with obvious food but my dining room doubles as playroom and crumbs probably do get into toy containers.

Blue jay

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:38 am
when in doubt spray with windex.
I learned that if it is not fit for a dog to eat then its not chometz anymore.

Stars

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:47 am
esuss wrote:
I always just lock up all the toys and have special Pesach toys. My toys are not put away with obvious food but my dining room doubles as playroom and crumbs probably do get into toy containers.

Same. I do check the containers and shake them out but no long baths and sitting for hours cleaning each lego piece with a toothpick.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 2:57 pm
amother wrote:
I think it also depends on your apartment or house size. My toys are right next to my dining room table. Unless I sweep literally the second the meal ends things get kicked all over. Same with the kitchen. The table is right near the bedrooms. I found a cheerio in my daughters closet that I know got kicked there. Also if you dont sell actual chometz you cant just close up cabinets etc..

Move the toys. Why are you keeping them next to the table?

Stars

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 3:00 pm
zaq wrote:
Move the toys. Why are you keeping them next to the table?

Space issue? You've never lived in a 3 or 4 room apartment with kids?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 3:03 pm
Stars wrote:
Space issue? You've never lived in a 3 or 4 room apartment with kids?

this. I have a two and half bedroom with four kids kah. The bedrooms are small they wont fit toys and my living room has a couch two bookshelves and some toys. It cant possibly fit any more.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics