Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What do you do with your toys for pesach
Previous  1  2

justforfun87

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 8:04 pm
I mean unless it has giant glob of caked on cheerios I don't do anything with them. I would probably just keep them away from the table and make sure no chametz in the toy chest. Wiping off toys, soaking all the legos are the reasons women get resentful of pesach. There isn't imaginary crubs/dirt that my dog would consider food.

imeinu

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:32 pm
We close up our toy closet and we buy 1-2 things each year special for Pesach, so by now we have a collection of Pesach toys that the kids look forward to taking out after the house is all cleaned up on erev Pesach.

shoshanim999

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 10:33 pm
Ruchel wrote:
There's no kezayit of edible chametz on our toys.

Ssshhh!!! Don't say that! You just eliminated 75% of pesach cleaning.....

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 4:08 am
LiLIsraeli wrote:
The halacha is not kezayit of edible chametz. It's a "mashehu," meaning the tiniest amount, even tiny crumbs. Rabbi Blumenkrantz z"l (noted authority on Pesach laws and products) said that even a molecule of chametz is assur on Pesach.

https://oukosher.org/blog/kosh.....scha/
http://judaism.stackexchange.c.....shehu

The rules for what can be in your food are not the same as the rules for what can be in your house.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 6:37 am
LiLIsraeli wrote:
The halacha is not kezayit of edible chametz. It's a "mashehu," meaning the tiniest amount, even tiny crumbs. Rabbi Blumenkrantz z"l (noted authority on Pesach laws and products) said that even a molecule of chametz is assur on Pesach.

Good luck on tracking molecules! LOL LOL I'll follow my own rabbi, okay?

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 7:38 am
I'm surprised at how many of you don't think there is a kazayis of food in your toys. I wouldn't be surprised if there was half a loaf of bread spread out between all the boxes. My kitchen is right next to the playroom and the kids to not listen about not bringing food out of the kitchen. Goodness, I even found a half eaten granola bar in my underwear drawer, and I sure didn't put it there!

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 7:51 am
amother wrote:
I'm surprised at how many of you don't think there is a kazayis of food in your toys. I wouldn't be surprised if there was half a loaf of bread spread out between all the boxes. My kitchen is right next to the playroom and the kids to not listen about not bringing food out of the kitchen. Goodness, I even found a half eaten granola bar in my underwear drawer, and I sure didn't put it there!

Nobody here has eaten chametz except if strapped into a highchair or booster seat since Tu Bishvat. Toddlers are easier in some ways than elementary-schoolers.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 8:30 am
amother wrote:

I have a nine seven and five year old. I didnt find any chometz in my toys. And my kids do eat around my house.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 8:52 am
amother wrote:

When we lived in a smaller place we cleaned the toys for pesach.
Now that we have a designated space for the toys we go through them every few months to keep them neat which we did now too and there's no food there.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 9:03 am
I had to let the kids scrub the duplos in the bathtub! Where's the fun in Pesach cleaning if the kids don't get to splash in water with toothbrushes?? Those are some of the most fun memories of erev pesach.

As for the rest, it's more a game of "let's put all the pieces back in the correct boxes, finally" than actual cleaning.

I like to buy a new game for Pesach for each group. Any recommendation this season?

sky

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 9:20 am
Sell. I used to wash some toys to keep out - this year I don't need them so I'm skipping it. I do think its a great idea to wash toys every so often anyways.

I have a pesach toy box in my attic with the dishes. My kids look forward to it. I add 1- 2 cheap items every year and it gets them super busy because it is so exciting to have new toys.

gamanit

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 9:33 am
I threw all my toys in the bathtub (aside for things that would get ruined by the water) and just squirted some soap over all and filled with water. My kids loved helping me take the toys out and put into plastic containers lined with towels. Even aside for the fact that my kids eat while they play, it's great to have all the toys so clean. They look almost new! Everything else is either getting wiped down with fresh wipes or put on a high shelf for the next few weeks.

newmother

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 9:57 am
LiLIsraeli wrote:

I just checked this year's rabbi blumenkrantz book: I don't know how to upload pictures here but it clearly say about toys: if there is EDIBLE chometz it has to be cleaned and removed. Also, it says how women are doing way more than nesccesary to clean for pesach, all you need to do is sweep floor- no need to wash or wax it, no need to move the fridge. He says if you want to the you can, you just don't need to!

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 4:50 pm
People that are finding food in their toys... that is disgusting shock Aren't you worried about bug infestations? Seriously, forget Pesach exists but just from a sanitary perspective, Yuck!

My kids don't eat near their toys, EVER. And this has nothing whatsoever to do with Pesach. This is how I grew up too. We would never have dreamed of eating outside of the kitchen or dining room (sitting by the table!) and my kids are the same way. When they are very small they get strapped into their highchairs to eat and then dusted off and washed off before they can go play. By the time they are two or so they know the drill, go to the sink after you eat, clean yourself off and THEN you're free to go.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 5:54 pm
amother wrote:
People that are finding food in their toys... that is disgusting shock Aren't you worried about bug infestations? Seriously, forget Pesach exists but just from a sanitary perspective, Yuck!

My kids don't eat near their toys, EVER. And this has nothing whatsoever to do with Pesach. This is how I grew up too. We would never have dreamed of eating outside of the kitchen or dining room (sitting by the table!) and my kids are the same way. When they are very small they get strapped into their highchairs to eat and then dusted off and washed off before they can go play. By the time they are two or so they know the drill, go to the sink after you eat, clean yourself off and THEN you're free to go.

So good for you. Not everyone like to run their lives so rigidly. I find pretzels in my toys all the time. Bh never found bugs.

cm

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 6:02 pm
amother wrote:

Agreed! It isn't about Pesach so much as basic sanitary, civilized living. I had both Jewish and non-Jewish friends growing up, and we all ate at the table (so this isn't just a quirk of a few uptight Jews ready for Pesach year-round).

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Apr 01 2017, 11:20 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
So good for you. Not everyone like to run their lives so rigidly. I find pretzels in my toys all the time. Bh never found bugs.

Puke
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics