Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Natural ear infection/earache remedies?

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 12:50 pm
DD4 complaining of severe earache since last night. I made her a doc appointment but I'm predicting it will turn out to be an ear infection and we will be recommended not to treat with antibiotics because they're usually viral and/or go away just as well without treatment (learned from past experience.)

If that turns out to be the case, what can I do for pained little one? We did not get any sleep last night and I feel like the walking dead Sad (of course the one who kept me up seems unaffected by this, though still complaining of ear pain)

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 1:00 pm
Breast milk in the ear.
Mullein garlic drops.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 1:02 pm
I've heard of the garlic drops too. I don't know if they worked because I used them with some suggested homeopathic remedies (don't remember what they were and they need to be individualized anyway).
Refuah shleima!

SYA

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 1:08 pm
Alternate Motrin and Tylenol every 4 hours.
Blow a warm (not hot or cold) blow dryer against her ear.
Garlic Mullen ear drops - follow directions on the bottle.

Just want to point out that not all ear infections heal on their own. My ped kept on telling me let's wait and see if my baby is still crying 48 hours later. If she is then we should return to check if she should start antibiotics. Each time it got worse and once the ear drum burst. We always needed the antibiotics.

I would take a prescription as its shabbos tonight. If your daughter is still in pain tomorrow, I would recommend starting the antibiotics.

thanks

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 4:00 pm
Mullen drops gave my son relief.

My experience was that when I gave antibiotics, the infection would return. I once let it heal on it's own, and my son has not had an ear infection since.

rosebunch

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 4:58 pm
MR ear drops works wonders. You have to be consistent and follow directions precisely. For soothing, I warm up a bit of olive oil and drop it into the ears. It's an instant relief.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 5:54 pm
Well, lo - turns out it was lousy enough to start antibiotics right away. Anyone know how long they take to kick in? Child is miserable. Maybe I'll try the olive oil though I'm a little wary of actually putting something in there.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 9:49 am
SYA wrote:
Alternate Motrin and Tylenol every 4 hours.
Blow a warm (not hot or cold) blow dryer against her ear.
Garlic Mullen ear drops - follow directions on the bottle.

Just want to point out that not all ear infections heal on their own. My ped kept on telling me let's wait and see if my baby is still crying 48 hours later. If she is then we should return to check if she should start antibiotics. Each time it got worse and once the ear drum burst. We always needed the antibiotics.

I would take a prescription as its shabbos tonight. If your daughter is still in pain tomorrow, I would recommend starting the antibiotics.

And I strongly recommend acidopholous with antibiotics. My daughter's fluid finally cleared up when we did that.

ETA: Seeker, just saw the update. Hope she's feeling better now.

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 1:41 pm
B"H she is feeling better. The first day we used tylenol and advil generously to get through, the second day was much better. Fortunately the medicine is only once a day so plenty of time to refill with probiotics in between!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics