Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Not having birds as pets?

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 8:16 pm
I vaguely remember learning a medrash or something in high school about not keeping birds as pets, because birds are meant to fly free. Has anyone heard of this and cn give me a source?

Blessing1

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 8:33 pm
Maybe it's tzaar balei chay to keep them confined?

leah233

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 9:12 pm
I heard that you can not have birds as pets because it is Tzar Baaley Chaim for an animal meant to fly to be caged up but I never heard of it as being a Medrash.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 9:22 pm
Why is it worse to cage a bird? All animals were originally meant to fly, swim, or roam freely.

agreer

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 11:43 pm
Never heard of this. Would love a source.

esuss

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 11:48 pm
Birds you buy as pets now were born and raised in the cage as were their previous bird generations. In other words it is all that they know. I heard this was less of a problem than caging birds that were caught from wild. I own 2 parakeets. I bought a big cage that they could fly around in. I always felt bad for big rabbits that are kept in a cage not much bigger than themselves and could barely take two steps.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 6:27 am
It is my minhag on my grandmother's side, because of a story that the shtetl was in fire after a pogrom (lo alenu) and the birds brought water in their beaks to help, so since then, no caged bird. Please pm me if that's also your story as we must be landsleit Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions