Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Super husky son
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:58 pm
I was a chubby kid and my mother made me crazy! She was always singling me out that I couldn't have what the rest of the family was eating. Even if she didn't say anything, she watched everything I ate by mealtimes.
Sometimes she was supportive and went on diets with me to do it together, even though she didn't really need to lose weight.
She would take me shopping and get me clothing that was too snug as an incentive to lose weight. Those outfits would sit in my closet ridiculing me.
The more desperate she was for me to lose weight, the heavier I got. I was a growing teenager and was hungry. I ended up sneaking unhealthy food.

Basically, years later I am still heavy. I am finally relearning how to eat healthy. I am working on eating low fat proteins and lots of fruits and vegetables and eliminating processed ad sugary foods.

Most importantly, I am trying to teach my young children about food. They know that protein will help them get strong and that treats are unhealthy and make them crazy. They love fruit and I buys lots of it. However, if my son insists on just macaroni for supper, I will not fight it. I don't want to make food a big deal.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 12:56 am
amother wrote:
I was a chubby kid and my mother made me crazy! She was always singling me out that I couldn't have what the rest of the family was eating. Even if she didn't say anything, she watched everything I ate by mealtimes.
Sometimes she was supportive and went on diets with me to do it together, even though she didn't really need to lose weight.
She would take me shopping and get me clothing that was too snug as an incentive to lose weight. Those outfits would sit in my closet ridiculing me.
The more desperate she was for me to lose weight, the heavier I got. I was a growing teenager and was hungry. I ended up sneaking unhealthy food.

Basically, years later I am still heavy. I am finally relearning how to eat healthy. I am working on eating low fat proteins and lots of fruits and vegetables and eliminating processed ad sugary foods.

Most importantly, I am trying to teach my young children about food. They know that protein will help them get strong and that treats are unhealthy and make them crazy. They love fruit and I buys lots of it. However, if my son insists on just macaroni for supper, I will not fight it. I don't want to make food a big deal.

I too was an overweight child. I ruined my body/metablolism with crash diets and am shorter than everyone in my family by several inches due to a period of starvation. I am currently an overweight adult.

I do not believe children should diet at all. They should be encouraged to eat healthfully and exercise. He can diet when he's 18 or has stopped growing.

Again - I'm not saying to give him all the food he wants. But don't encourage him to diet.

heidi

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 1:40 am
OP, I could have written your post. Except my son is 14. He started to really eat, and like you say, enjoy the food to an excessive point, at about age 9. When I took him to the dr. she said he was stocking up for a growth spurt(!?) As an overweight adult who truly hates myself for being overweight, I feel so guilty. This kid got my lousy temper and my lousy metabolism+love of food. He has few friends-- social issues probably connected to his low self esteem/weight issues.
We have been to a nutritionist, child psychologist (for 3 years!!!), life coach etc.
At this point he is starting to really grow and all of the sudden taking an interest in clothing. I pointed out to him that this is his golden opportunity. He is growing upwards, and if he doesn't gain weight he will thin out along the way. But I left it at that.
I serve healthy proteins and veggies at every meal. He knows what choices are better to make at lunch at school. He knows darn well that fries are bad, salad is good. I harp on him about so many many things (I know, I'm working on it) that I can't do it about the food also.
I agree with other posters. I buy him pants that fit on the waist and tush and have them taken in everywhere else to make them appropriate for his height, etc.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 2:22 am
Heidi I absolutely could have written your post .... Well the beginning of it.

But I just wanted to say kol hakavod to op for using the word "husky". Great word. Positive connotations. Love it.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:49 am
I can totally relate except its my 11 yr old dd. Buying clothes is tremendously difficult because she wants to wear certain styles and doesnt realize they look awful on her.
Feeding tips. I let them help me choose the menu for the week. Each meal has a starch protein and vegetables. I was pleasantly surprised at their food choices when I let them help. For example my son who wont eat chicken, told me he loves chicken Patties.
Favorite meal is shish kabobs. They dont realize how many vegetables and grilled chicken they are eating compared to starch. They could eat several Skewers and be happy with only a little bit of rice.
And I serve dessert by every supper. Yummy sweet fruit, and ill splurge on more expensive so they satisfy their sweet nibbly needs with melon, berries, and grapes.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children