Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Buying a toilet

happy12

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 3:29 pm
Anyone buy a toilet in home Depot or lowes?
Which brand is good?

asmileaday

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 3:34 pm
A friend of mine got the American Standard champion 4 and she's very happy with it.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 3:35 pm
happy12 wrote:
Anyone buy a toilet in home Depot or lowes?
Which brand is good?

HD has a decent toilet that is in stock for about $100. I think if you add the cost of new valves and a wax ring your total materials cost would be about $120. Or you can buy a $1k Toto or a $500 Kohler.

I've used them in the last home I owned and in three of the rentals here. They are fine toilets.

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Tue, Apr 04 2017, 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 4:18 pm
Toto toilets are far superior, and worth the price. Not necessary to get their higher end models.

be good

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 5:56 pm
whats better about toto?

happy12

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 6:27 pm
I have 2 totos. The elongated is one piece and the round is two piece. I hate the two piece. The new toilet is for a very small bathroom so will need a two piece toto. I also don't want to spend $400 on a toilet that's in a guest suite and will only be used occasionally.

librarygirl

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 6:33 pm
I bought my Toto on Amazon. Definitely paid less than 400

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 6:34 pm
one-piece toilets are generally lower and more comfortable to sit & relieve oneself - especially if you're short because not only should feet touch the floor your knees should come up - ergonomically speaking

asmileaday

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 7:31 pm
happy12 wrote:
I have 2 totos. The elongated is one piece and the round is two piece. I hate the two piece. The new toilet is for a very small bathroom so will need a two piece toto. I also don't want to spend $400 on a toilet that's in a guest suite and will only be used occasionally.

If it's for a guest suite go to home depot/lowes and get something cheap. I don't think it's worth to invest for occasional use.

When I was looking at toilets for my new home I was totally unimpressed with the totos. The design is not pretty at all. And the price was outrageous.

I ended up getting an Icera Cadence. It's skirted so clean up is a breeze. It's a 2 piece but the seam is higher up so it has the cleanliness benefit of a one piece. And it was cheaper than toto.

Again, I would definitely not spend on a toilet that's not being used on a day to day basis.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 9:32 pm
I work in a plumbing supply business. Toto toilets are actually better toilets, their design makes them flush better, and not get stuffed. You are not paying for fancy, you're paying for better function. All companies make round and elongated versions. Elongated are more comfortable, but if your space is really limited, you may have to go with a round.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 9:42 pm
If your space is really limited, the European style wall hung toilets are the new trend.

Even in a guestroom, I would still get something that flushes really well.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 10:27 pm
Two of my aunts bought houses in the same area one spent $50 more and hers barely clogs up and the other one her toilets clog every week. I can find out

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 9:23 pm
Which one doesn't clog in residential? Brooklyn house?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 10:40 pm
I am remodeling and did a lot of research and Toto toilets are definitely the best. A toilet can last for years and Toto toilets are very reliable and flush very well. Many of them have a special surface that helps prevent dirt from sticking and so helps cleanup.

I wanted a skirted toilet style which hides the trap in the bottom so it is easier to keep clean.

I also wanted a one piece because there is no gap that allows shmootz to form. I am all about minimizing upkeep.

I don’t understand why you would get an inferior toilet in a guest bath because the cost of having a reliable toilet over the years in use is pennies a day.

Most adults are going to be most comfortable with a higher height toilet which is called universal height as well as an elongated seat.

Toto makes very attractive toilets in both sleek modern styles and more traditional. The Carolina is a skirted one piece that has a gorgeous somewhat period traditional look.

In my master I wanted a washlet and a Connect Plus model to hide the connections so I had to go with a more modern sleek toilet enchilada is the Aimes.

My good friend had Kohler and Toto toilets and Toto was so superior thstvsje would up replacing the Kohler with Toto because she was tired of clogs

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 11:10 pm
We redid a bathroom and specifically didn't get a Toto because you can't get replacement parts at a hardware store so if there's an issue you have to wait until they send you a new part.

What are your family needs? Right now I'm very appreciative of lower toilets that my kids can get onto by themselves without a step stool. We have plenty of step stools at home but they're not always available when we're at someone else's house. On the other hand, for my grandfather in a wheelchair a higher toilet is easier. Also, some toilets are more comfortable for those of us who are more zaftig but little kids would be more likely to fall in without a special seat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics