Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
What jobs do you give your cleaning lady?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 10:40 pm
Ok first off I am not making pesach I am moving in to my inlaws BH so don't have to worry about that aspect.
So basically I have a hard time delegating beyond the basics (dishes, fold laundry, mop vacuum cleaner bathrooms).
I had a cleaning lady today and my house is now tidy, dishes are washed flour is vacuumed bathrooms clean etc.
What else do you have a cleaning lady do? I have someone coming tomorrow and would love to fove her bigger jobs but not sure what... my house is cluttered I'm terrible at organizing and stuff and work almost full time (off now bc I'm a teacher but also means I have all my kids home...)

So far I have:
Clean windows
Scrub table
Fold laundry
Vacuum stairs (they didn't get done yesterday)
Change bed linens

What else can I ask her. She is here 3-4 hours and coming again a few other days before pesach (my mother in law is a neat freak and although she hasn't said it out right I know my cluttered house irks and is sponsoring a cleaning lady to try get it together.)

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 10:52 pm
My cleaning lady does my playroom. She sorts the toys into the right containers. Yours should​be able to do the same.
Wash the walls and moldings
Polish silver
Dust bedrooms
Wash out garbage cans

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 10:57 pm
Clean fridge, inside/outside the kitchen cabinets, vents, oven, vacuum under beds, bottom of closets.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 11:10 pm
Give her a drawer to organize. Toys to sort and put away. She can organize for you if you deletgate one thing at a time.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Oct 05 2020, 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 11:13 pm
The cleaning lady (when she comes, I don't call he very often), knows the basic routines.
Wash the toilets, scrub the tub, get the water stains (hard hard water) off the sink amd surrounding vanity areas. Bathroom and vanity floors.
Bedrooms, she makes the beds (if I dont gwt to it) sweeps the floors, vacuums the rugs, washes the floors in all the bedrooms and the hallway, dining room. Cleans the couch.
Kitchen she does the floors and a good wash of the table and chairs.
Thats 3 or so hours.

Then it depends how long she wants to stay.
I give her windows and walls in areas where the kids touch a lot - mainly the eating area. The other windows gets washed very rarely. Sometimes dishes, woodworks. I loke to clean the insides of the heavily used cabinets and kitchen drawers every now and then, so ill give her that.
Oven and gas range. Fridge and freezer. Dust/wash Crib, beds, furniture. Change the Linen.
She also helped me with ideas when my 2 yo was a very colicky baby. Smile

I do not like when she puts away the toys. Though she sometimes does if she gets to the kids rooms before I do and wants to do the floors and that's ok.

I have an organizational system for the toys. Its pretty simple but I havent gotten a chance to show her exactly how it goes so she ends up putting doll shoes and legos with shapes sorters in the clicks drawers :/.... being the neat freak (dont confuse it with "clean" freak although its easier to keep the house clean when its neat) that I am, it bothers me.

I also like to do my own laundry, other than the linen. And putting away stuff, she doesnt know where all of my things belong. So she gives me the ramdom stuff she finds. The stuff that she knows where they belong sje puts away.

I think thats basically all of it.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 11:16 pm
Bedrooms:
Vaccum
Change linen
Vacuum mattresses
Move beds - vacuum under beds and dust walls around bed
Dust furniture

Laundry:
Fold laundry
Iron

Kitchen:
Clean stove top (pull out the stove if very brave)
Clean fridge
Wipe down walls and cabinets
Wipe down kitchen furniture

Dining Room:
Polish wood furniture and dust
Mop floor
Wipe down walls and moldings
Polish silver

Living Room\Toy Room:
Wash couch
Vacum \ sweep
Walls and moldings
Clean and organize toy buckets
Dust picture frames and bookshelves

Bathroom:
Wipe down walls
Deep clean tiles

nursemomma

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 12:24 am
Decluttering will have to be done by you- no way hired help can know what to trash and what to keep. How about assigning a project and doing it together- ex toy closet- you go through what you need/trash, and she can clean out the shelves/bins and put everything back neatly.
Do the same for closets, drawers, cabinets.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 1:21 am
My cleaning lady can't really organize my stuff, but I do ask her to periodically go through my kids' dressers and re-organize them, or organize our paper goods, cleaning supplies... things like that. I have taught her to polish silver which is a huge help and time saver for me. Also, she helps me with the prep work in the kitchen for meals -- peeling potatoes or apples, dicing onions, carrots, celery.... that sort of thing.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 9:10 am
OP, are you me? I absolutely freeze up and panic when she asks me where to start. I just stand in the middle of the room and helplessly say "I dunno, just fix it!"

B'H, I just found a new lady who is wonderful at organizing. Her cleaning needs a little help, but that can be worked on (she tends to miss the corners when she mops.)

I'm finding these lists to be extremely helpful. Thanks everyone!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 9:50 am
Thanks all great advice!
Yeah I know that's prat of the problem. I can't get her to declutter and organize for me... and with the kids around I can't work with her I have to keep the kids out of the way. They all gravitate to me specially my 18 month old who gets very clingy when there are strangers around...
Well I have a new lady here let's see what she can do...

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 10:10 am
My cleaning lady does the following:

Dust/clean windows in dining room. Wipe down table and chairs, sweep and mop floor including behind the couch.

Change linen in both rooms, sweep and mop floors, dust all bedside tables and dressers and make neat.

Clean bathtub, toilet (and around the bottom of it too) and bathroom walls.

Wash dishes in the kitchen dries them and put them away, clean oven and stove-top, wipe table and cabinet doors, sometimes she wipes down the inside of the drawers too and puts the stuff back in neatly. Does the floor (sweeps and washes) and then either vacuums the stairs if she has time or folds laundry on the couch.

If I want her to do extra I have asked her to empty kitchen cabinets that are messy and wipe down and put everything away neatly.
I have also asked her to do the same with the fridge.
Sometimes she washes out the garbage can in the shower if it needs a good deep clean.
She has also put up loads of washing and ironed for me.
Occasionally I ask her to do the guest room too (change linen and sweep the floor).

I only have her 4 hours a week so its not that much time to do any extra than the basic basic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry