Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Four important words: MYOB

Seas

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 8:50 pm
Can't be bothered elaborating, so in short:
In light of various recent threads, allow me to suggest that one of the most important phrases to learn to use is "Mind your own business".

Many people will hold back from saying it so as not to appear rude, but when someone asks you insensitive or personal questions, or gives unsolicited advice etc., the only appropriate answer is MYOB (or "it's none of your business").

There's no need to be nasty and/or to add hurtful put-downs, just simply and firmly tell the other person to mind their own business.

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:12 am
"Mind your own business" is a very rude expression. There are ways to communicate the same idea with I messages or other less offensive means. "I don't talk about this topic." "I prefer not to discuss that." "I am uncomfortable about that question."

youngishbear

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:14 am
"Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies..."

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:18 am
seeker wrote:
"Mind your own business" is a very rude expression. There are ways to communicate the same idea with I messages or other less offensive means. "I don't talk about this topic." "I prefer not to discuss that." "I am uncomfortable about that question."

This. Even if someone is being rude, one can still reply tactfully.

sequoia

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:23 am
"It's a long story" conveys the same message nicely and politely. We are civilized beings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics