Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Matisyahu

Water Stones

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 10:04 pm
My dh been playing Matisyahu in the car. He likes the songs so much and I do too. But is it a problem to listen because my bil said Matisyahu is OTD now. My dh says he don't care. But is it problematic? The songs are beautiful. Advice for me?

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 10:24 pm
his way of life is between him & hashem ... his music is however free to like

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 10:28 pm
Seashells wrote:
My dh been playing Matisyahu in the car. He likes the songs so much and I do too. But is it a problem to listen because my bil said Matisyahu is OTD now. My dh says he don't care. But is it problematic? The songs are beautiful. Advice for me?

I actually once saw an article addressing this issue. Listening to a song from a computer or a singer who is otd. The response was that if he was frum at the time he composed it, you shouldn't have to worry about it. It's fine. Don't remember where I read it though.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 11:20 pm
He irritates me.
I feel like he used his chassidic garb as a way to stand out in the music industry and once he hit it big he shed his chassidic garb like a snake sheds his skin...

But that's just how I FEEL.

trixx

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:09 am
amother wrote:
He irritates me.
I feel like he used his chassidic garb as a way to stand out in the music industry and once he hit it big he shed his chassidic garb like a snake sheds his skin...

But that's just how I FEEL.

I feel like he was sincere but his rapid fame and great success in the music industry became too much of a temptation.

not that it makes a difference to me either way.

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:27 am
Elisha Ben Avuyah was a Tanna quoted in Pirkei Avot among other places.* At some point in his life he became an apostate. When speaking of him after his apostasy the Talmud calls him "Acher"--"Someone else" and not Elisha Ben Avuyah. But references to him when he was still himself use his name an give him credit as a Chacham. His layer betrayal does not erase the good that he did before. I can't see why the rule for a singer who went OTD would be any different.

*The Talmud speaks of four Chachamim who entered Pardes (paradise) while alive. One died, one went insane, one apostasized, and only Rabbi Akiva walked back out unscathed. The apostate was Elisha Ben Avuyah.

Blue jay

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 9:52 am
Do not say Mattisyahu is OTD, it is Loshon Hura.

How do we know he does not keep kosher/shabbat etc? Is he going around mocking religion (c'v shalom)?

As far as I know, His music is still very spiritual and uplifting.

We are all on spiritual journeys in this life and they do not all look the same.

Water Stones

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:48 pm
QueenBee3 wrote:
Do not say Mattisyahu is OTD, it is Loshon Hura.

How do we know he does not keep kosher/shabbat etc? Is he going around mocking religion (c'v shalom)?

As far as I know, His music is still very spiritual and uplifting.

We are all on spiritual journeys in this life and they do not all look the same.

I didn't think of that. Thank you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics