Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Anyone going to Ohr Naava's pesach program in Arizona?

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 8:17 pm
Anyone here going to their program this year? What are you doing about babysitting? If you have babies or little kids that will be sleeping for the seder and the other yomtov nights.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 10:08 pm
When we go to a hotel with family I usually stay in the room with my kids at night. So seder night I take the kids to the seder and when it gets too late and they are so tired and kvetchy I take them back to the room and finish whatever is left of the seder on my own. But most programs have an outside agency that they deal with that you can hire babysitters for the evening. Many people hire sitters, or bring their babysitter along. Or sometimes some of the day camp counselors babysit (although not seder night). Are you looking for a babysitter?

pesek zman

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 10:27 pm
I'm not going to that program but I've been going away for decades. I just plan on napping my girl and keeping her up as late as possible. Hoping for the best. Not keen on the idea of leaving her alone in a dark hotel room (brand new environment for her) with a total stranger 'watching' her (usually they just congregate outside the hotel room)

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:34 am
I have a 1 year old and a 4 year old. It is also a 3 hour time difference from where I am to Arizona so the kids might still be on the 'old' time in which case a 7:45 seder start time is really 10:45 for them, so they're totally going to be sleeping-at least the 1 year old likely will, and will likely be sleeping before the seder even starts. So I don't want to have the whole seder by myself in the room. With my husband by himself at the table..

There is an independent babysitting agency that they told us about but it's a fortune. It's $15 an hour, a minimum of 4 hours each day you hire them, plus an additional $30 flat rate per day, plus a $150 registration fee. So we're looking at like $600+.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:39 am
I'm going to Arizona but not to hot nava. You pay for a babysitter

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 8:56 am
I'm not going to Arizona but when we did go away with young children I would let them fall asleep in a stroller in the Seder room. We had a private Seder so I was able to find a somewhat quieter corner in the room. My kids are not the best sleepers and I did have to walk away from the Seder at points to push them in the stroller, especially as it got late and they became more tired. I didn't feel comfortable leaving them with someone I didn't know. But that was probably a silly hang up of mine as the sitters came from an agency that supposedly screens their employees. You make it through.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 11:31 am
amother wrote:
I have a 1 year old and a 4 year old. It is also a 3 hour time difference from where I am to Arizona so the kids might still be on the 'old' time in which case a 7:45 seder start time is really 10:45 for them, so they're totally going to be sleeping-at least the 1 year old likely will, and will likely be sleeping before the seder even starts. So I don't want to have the whole seder by myself in the room. With my husband by himself at the table..

There is an independent babysitting agency that they told us about but it's a fortune. It's $15 an hour, a minimum of 4 hours each day you hire them, plus an additional $30 flat rate per day, plus a $150 registration fee. So we're looking at like $600+.

Because of the expense of these outside babysitting agencies, plus don't feel so comfortable with leaving my kids with a babysitter that they've never met before who I don't know and can't contact me, I just stay with my kids, as I said before, I bring them to the seder/ meal with a stroller and earn it gets too much (which is always does) I take all the little kids back to the room and finish up myself. I'm usually pretty grumpy at that point so this year I plan to bring some good reading material and try to leave a light on and get comfortable. Maybe go to sleep early as well! The nights for me in the hotel with your kids is always so hard, especially seder, which is why I don't really enjoy a lot of the hotel for pesach experience. But one whole side of our family Always goes to a hotel for pesach.

For ohr navah specifically did you email the youth director to find out if they have any counselors available at all to babysit for you? Maybe toward the end of the seder? Otherwise could you bring a double stroller and try to put them to sleep in a corner? Are you having a private seder?

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 2:51 am
We are not having a private seder room. I wish!! I only thought of it like a week and a half ago, and by then they were all taken :/ . Part of what's difficult about this is just the uncertainty-like we have to book a babysitter ahead of time but there are so many factors involved here that might change our babysitting needs which we won't know ahead of time, so we have to just estimate, and it might be very off.

The 4 year old can possibly fall asleep in a stroller or something like that but my baby can't. I nurse him to sleep in a dark room and he sleeps on his stomach..don't see how being in a bright and noisy room with hundreds of people strapped in a stroller will work for him at all Sad we're hiring a babysitter for the seder nights and hope it all work out.

To the amother who stays with her kids and leaves the seder early-yeah, I don't want to do that. On pesach I want to go to the seder. What's the great thing about going away for pesach if you miss the main part of pesach, the seder?? That's one thing that I don't like about going away either.

Well have a chag kasher v'sameach everyone!! Smile

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 9:15 am
amother wrote:
We are not having a private seder room. I wish!! I only thought of it like a week and a half ago, and by then they were all taken :/ . Part of what's difficult about this is just the uncertainty-like we have to book a babysitter ahead of time but there are so many factors involved here that might change our babysitting needs which we won't know ahead of time, so we have to just estimate, and it might be very off.

The 4 year old can possibly fall asleep in a stroller or something like that but my baby can't. I nurse him to sleep in a dark room and he sleeps on his stomach..don't see how being in a bright and noisy room with hundreds of people strapped in a stroller will work for him at all Sad we're hiring a babysitter for the seder nights and hope it all work out.

To the amother who stays with her kids and leaves the seder early-yeah, I don't want to do that. On pesach I want to go to the seder. What's the great thing about going away for pesach if you miss the main part of pesach, the seder?? That's one thing that I don't like about going away either.

Well have a chag kasher v'sameach everyone!! Smile

So glad you worked it all out with hiring a sitter!
Yeah I really don't like leaving early but as I said, between the expense and logistics I can't hire a sitter for the room. We join family in the hotel, if I had the money and was the one who decided to go to a hotel I would def be making sure that I was able to be at the seder, otherwise, as you said, what's the point. Most people I know who go to hotels either bring their full time nanny along with them or hire a babysitter at the hotel.
Hope you enjoy your sedarim!! Chag kasher ve-sameach!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics