Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Sanitation department lakewood

sourstix

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 5:43 pm
My garbage was taken this morning.

Why can't the garbage truck come around one time before you tov? They do that in New York. It's just so crazy.

Ok, seriously give me some tips to deal with this. I'm a little lost.

I should have made a pesachdig shabbos. Instead I didn't. So now I'm dealing with all the plastic plates and what not. I know dh can sheep garbagein his car. It's nauseating. It really shouldn't be this way.

All complaints aside I'm really looking for tips

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 5:44 pm
Are you certain it's problematic to have chometz in your garbage?

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 5:51 pm
I think they have trucks parked every few blocks from motzei shabbos till mon afternoon. We wheel our cans (kids love it!) to the truck before bedikas chometz. You might even have a garbage truck parked on the next block for all you know! Check the lakewoodscoop.com after shabbos - they usually list all the truck locations. We are ALL having a chometz shabbos .. gotta eat challah, somehow (but we are including chulent and deli rolls too)! It will work out ...

keym

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 5:53 pm
Many Lakewood rabbonim, including I believe R Shlomo Miller say yoy could have chametz in your bins if you leave the cans by the curb. The reasoning is that the cans dont belong to you, they really belong to the township so youre not owning anything problematic. But it has to be left by the curb so that its not in your reshus. Or something like that. Ask your LOR.
Btw, not to OP, just general this.is one of the things I mentioned a bit back on the tr/Jackson thread. Lakewood is a small town, running like a small town. It doesnt have the resources of the big city like ny. Things are different, a little bit more slow paced and ootlike when it comes to garbage pickup and plowing.

sourstix

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 6:03 pm
im gonna answer about this after shabbos. It's more complicated then I thought. For now I will figure something out but next year I will be making a pesach shabbos or they change it then I won't have to.

Simple1

Post Sat, Apr 08 2017, 9:32 pm
Well mine wasn't picked up yet and garbage day was Friday.

Cmon be nice

Post Sat, Apr 08 2017, 9:52 pm
I grew up OOT and we used to run around looking for empty bins or garbage cans to throw our garbage into. In Lakewood theres plenty of places you can bring garbage, including the dump

sourstix

Post Sat, Apr 08 2017, 10:42 pm
Yup will be doing that. I will bring my garbage to the locations listed which I found friday.

It's something New Yorkers are so used to. They don't realize how different it is when you move away.

Cmon be nice

Post Sat, Apr 08 2017, 11:17 pm
Yup, the world past the Verazano

lkwdlady

Post Sat, Apr 08 2017, 11:35 pm
here are the garbage drop off locations:
http://www.thelakewoodscoop.co.....47857

Also, I saw an ad in the voice - someone advertised that they will shlep your chometz garbage for you!

Even if you have a pesach shabbos next yr on shabbos hagadol, what will you do with your challah crumbs?

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 2:24 pm
good to know ....

http://www.thelakewoodscoop.co......html

sky

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 10:40 am
You can eat egg matzah and then no problem with crumbs.

Lakewood isn't a big city like NY with less resources. They don't have enough trucks to pick up the entire city in one day. In NY they can pull trucks from other areas to do the huge pickup.

We don't leave chametz in our cans over pesach - we clean them before pesach as well. It was a fun trip today and yesterday - we lined out trunk with a big tablecloth and loaded it up. The sanitation workers there are so nice and patient and my kids love throwing our garbage into the trucks. Its part of our eruv yom tov tradition - go to shul for siyum, go to the sanitation areas, go to the park to finish last chometz (we don't eat chametz on our property the morning of biyur chometz) and then the chometz fire.

I wonder what those who live in Jackson and Toms River do with their gabage eruv yom tov?

sourstix

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 1:14 pm
So the year that the first. Sedercame out on motzei shabbos we ate each person a bilke and the crumbs which was few we flushed in toilet.

It's a change of mindset. And something to get used to after having a service I took for granted. See there's always something good we have that when it's taken away we realize what we had and to be greatful for.

It's one of the lessons I try to accustom myself with as much as I can.

To see how Hashem rubs his world and realize he gives good all the time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics