Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What are your views on Facebook?

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 2:32 am
Do you think it's ok for frum men and women to have Facebook? Are you Orthodox, modern orthodox, Chasidish, etc...?

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 2:40 am
Chasidish.I have Facebook.
It's okay as long as you use it appropriately.
If one needs an explanation on that, then they don't belong having any social media account at all.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 8:00 am
amother wrote:
Chasidish.I have Facebook.
It's okay as long as you use it appropriately.
If one needs an explanation on that, then they don't belong having any social media account at all.

I'm heimish and used to be very against my children having fb. Because of Exposure and dangers involved.
Having teens you can't control these days when it comes to social media unless they go behind my back....which Is not what I want.
I had fb with a different name as in my frum community it's looked down upon And as I was looking for support going through divorce and didn't feel ready for it to be official. It was very helpful. Can be a time waster when not careful.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 8:24 am
It is a weird question for me since I live in Europe where it only became in in like 2007. People say "facebook is not for frum" or "facebook is just for kids and not for serious professionals" and it just makes me laugh. I created a facebook account when facebook was just for American students and professors and it had no ads and no "kids". Yes it changed drastically but it is what it is - a medium that you can customize! It has no dangers, the only danger is the user itself and the virtual reality they are creating for themselces.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 8:36 am
Facebook, like everything else on the internet, is just a tool - like a screwdriver.

You can use a screwdriver to build your succah, or you can stab someone with it. What you choose to do with it, is up to you.

If you know your yetzer hara will be sorely tested on FB, then stay off of it. If you can use your yetzer tov to help others, spread happiness, and keep in touch with beloved relatives, then go for it!

We have free will. The computer does not "make" people do anything.

cm

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 12:10 pm
Facebook is such a useful way to stay in touch with far-flung friends and extended family. I know some detractors will say it is better to write letters, or make phone calls or use an email list...but each method has its pros and cons. Once I got on FB with my family, we have been in more frequent communication than ever before. It's great!

I really enjoy seeing updates about everyone's trips and lifecycle events. It helps me feel more involved with my friends' lives to know what is going on. I don't look at more than a few photos for each if I don't want to. It doesn't make me jealous and I don't think everyone is lying to show off (just to pre-empt the inevitable Imamother criticism).

I don't participate in any discussion groups or play games on FB, so I can't comment on that.

Time - a few minutes a day.

Security - I take reasonable internet precautions, and rarely post pictures of my child. My child is not on FB, and it really is not so popular with teens now.

MO, if it matters.

icebreaker

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 3:54 pm
I met my ex on facebook LOL maybe why he's my ex now lol. but I don't mind facebook. I don't allow my children on it. I tell them they can get a facebook account when they become adults.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics