Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Quinoa

aimhabanim

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 2:48 pm
I never made quinoa before. I would like recipes for how to make it like rice.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 2:49 pm
It tastes better as a room temperature side dish with added veggies. My favorite is quinoa avocado salad. Yum.

aimhabanim

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 2:51 pm
If you have time could you please post the recipe? Thanks

PassionFruit

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 3:45 pm
I rinse it very well to get rid of the bitterness. Then I add a bit more than double the amount of liquid to quinoa. If I have soup or broth I use that, if not, I use water and chicken soup powder.
Another really good addition is a bunch of sauteed onions, garlic, and mushrooms.
I just put it all in a pan in the oven for about an hour or however long it takes to absorb.

aimhabanim

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 3:56 pm
Sounds great. Thanks

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 3:57 pm
Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa
2 cup water
2 ripe avocado, quartered, then cut into chunks
2 ripe plum tomatoes, quartered, then cut into chunks
1/2 red onion, sliced
2 scallions, sliced
1 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
2 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Rinse quinoa very well in a fine mesh colander or strainer, to remove the bitter coating. Set aside.
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a 2 quart saucepan. Add rinsed quinoa. Return to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes, until all water is absorbed. When done, the quinoa appears soft and translucent, and the germ ring will be visible along the outside edge of the quinoa. Remove from heat, fluff, cover and let it stand for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Combine avocado, tomato, red onion, scallions, and garlic. Add cooled quinoa. Drizzle with lemon or lime juice and olive oil. Season very generously with salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently.

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 4:04 pm
I actually find that cooking the quinoa in 2:1 water makes it mushy. I cook it like pasta and drain like pasta until it's done and this way it's not water logged

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 4:18 pm
First rinse really really well

Then toast on high in a little olive oil. You can add salt and a tablespoon of chicken soup powder for every cup of quinoa. Toast it until you smell a nutty flavor. Then add 1 7/8 cup of water. When it boils, lower it to a simmer. When the tails come out, it is done.

You can substitute ckicken soup powder for 1 7/8 chicken broth.

return2You

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 4:26 pm
I have a yummy quinoa recipe- I make it every shabbos. Sauté onion, diced squash and broccoli in olive oil for 20 minutes. Add one cup of quinoa and two cups water. Add salt. Cook until quinoa " pops" open.

My picky eaters like it better than rice.

BabsB

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 10:33 am
I cook it like normal, and at the end add cooked broccoli, sliced almonds, and drizzle a little raspberry vinaigrette on it. Alternatively, my kids like it with dried cranberry instead of broccoli for a sweeter taste.

Grateful2bhere

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 6:55 pm
I like it mushy, & warm, I will over cook a little using more water than the cooking instructions call for. And yes, should rinse well before cooking to remove bitter tasting natural coating.

For a healthy dish, can add to warm cooked quinoa things like olive oil, chopped avocado, chopped walnuts, it's so versatile, can really add anything. Can add melted cheese & brocolli, top with toasted salty sunflower seeds

While nice & hot so the ingredients blend well, can add parsley, sliced olives & chopped onion.

I also have stir fried frozen spinach (Bodek frozen spinach often happens to come in these handy pureed cube-sort of shapes), & then onion, zuch, spices etc. Just mix it all up, when cooled add eggs plus the cooked quinoa for a souffle. (For fellow very healthy fans, some nutritional yeast adds some nice, unique savory flavor)

My picky child likes quinoa with olive oil & salt Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics