Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Post your pesach cholent recipe
1  2  Next

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 7:58 am
Please post your best pesach cholent recipes (with instructions for the uninitiated or cholent - challenged among us!)

cinnamon

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 9:22 am
Following. I can never get mine to have the right texture.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 9:24 am
I find that they key to texture is adding shredded potatoes and shredded zucchini. The zucchini totally dissolves and thickens it and the potatoes add a good texture. I've read that you can add blanched almonds will seem like beans, but since we have tree nut allergies here I don't do that.

Simple1

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 10:26 am
I don't actually make cholent. I put chunks of potatoes, flanken, onions, salt and pepper, in water. It's simple, but delicious when cooked overnight.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 10:31 am
Shredded potato cholent is delicious and creamy.

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 10:35 am
I make yapcik or beef stew.

agreer

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 2:24 pm
yapsik - basic potato kugel recipe, add some meat, and let it cook in a crock pot. Yum yum yum. Add water as necessary to prevent burning.

juggling

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 2:26 pm
I thicken mine with matza. Usually farfel, but I think I sometimes throw in some matza meal, too.

sky

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 2:47 pm
I leave on my oven and make 2 different versions in 9x13 pans
Yapchik - shredded potatos with a meat layer - I have an exact recipe on here if you want
Cholent - I make my regular recipe (lots of onions, potatos, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, ketchup and honey and throw in some sliced carrots and cover with water and add flanken strips). its a bit more watery then typical but tastes delicious.
My DH tries to eat extra meat shabbos lunch chol hamoed so between the 2 we are covered.

dee's mommy

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 2:58 pm
No recipe. I just put meat, potatoes, any vegetables that will fit into my crock pot and spices and hope for the best. It's usually more like soup.

erb17

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 3:45 pm
we use our regular cholent recipe and use matzah farfal its really good! its more liquidy.

harriet

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 8:54 am
has anyone tried putting quinoa in?

tweety1

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 9:38 am
I just posted last night on a similar thread. Someone wrote she puts in shredded potato and zucchini. So I decided to try it out. I forgot abt the zucchini but the shredded potato made it delicious!! Gonna try out the zucchini too today. I was never successful with a good Pesach chulent and this shredded potato interestingly did the job.

mfb

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 9:59 am
I've also been doing shredded potato for the lasr while, and I use chicken soup instead of water. That adds tons of flavor.

precious

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 6:05 am
Can someone help with instructions? Just put in meat, shredded potatoes, and spices? Water?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 7:06 am
precious wrote:
Can someone help with instructions? Just put in meat, shredded potatoes, and spices? Water?

See realeez's instructions. It delicious and creamy.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....81052

1 week I make yapsuk and 1 week potato kugel cholent.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....81344

precious

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 7:31 am
Thank you!
Any idea which my kids might like better? They like potato kugel but generally don't like potatoes in the cholent. My regular cholent is just meat and barley.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 7:33 am
Simple1 wrote:
I don't actually make cholent. I put chunks of potatoes, flanken, onions, salt and pepper, in water. It's simple, but delicious when cooked overnight.

I call that cholent.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 7:38 am
precious wrote:
Thank you!
Any idea which my kids might like better? They like potato kugel but generally don't like potatoes in the cholent. My regular cholent is just meat and barley.

They are both brown potato cholents. Both delicious.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 7:42 am
precious wrote:
Thank you!

Why don’t you make a small Chulent with some potatoes, meat and onions and then wrap a small potato kugel slightly under baked and place on top of the Chulent. The kugel turns into delicious overnight kugel. This way you’ll have both options.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics