Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Help, running out of gluten free oat matzah

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 5:44 am
I can't have gluten, and on Pesach, with many easy caloric options not available to me, I keep running into low blood sugar issues.

Before Pesach I did buy two boxes of gluten free oat matzah. And that is one thing that seems to help. But now I'm running out.

Help, what to do? I live far oot and local stores do not have this.

simcha2

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 5:49 am
Amazon has it, with one day delivery.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 5:53 am
Thanks... I saw that, but it's machine made and I usually get only hand made. Although I wonder... It is the middle of the night here and I just got up to eat because I was sleepless from hunger.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 5:54 am
I didn't see the one day delivery though. Maybe it depends where you live.

Cmon be nice

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 7:17 am
Ask your LOR but maybe dont wash for shabat and the last days

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 8:22 am
I'm already not worried about washing, I'm worried about hunger. I'm pregnant and veggies etc don't seem to fill me up fast enough.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 8:24 am
Ask your Rav if you could be meikel and use machine matza.

amother
White

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 8:39 am
Potato chips Smile

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 8:50 am
Try some of the grocery stores in Monsey. I saw delivery offered OOT. Try Rockland Kosher and Evergreen. I can't remember which one fedexed groceries to us while we were traveling. Speak to the manager. I would do it early as possible.

If you offer to pay someone a nice amount to pick it up and overnight to you, you may get a taker. You could start another thread.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 8:54 am
Potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa. Make dishes with these for every meal. There are so many ways to change these up.
Make potato frittata for breakfast, keep potato salad and quinoa available in the fridge.
Paskez makes delicious gluten free flatbread crackers called Crispits. Great with avocado. Lieber's makes delicious gluten free tam tam crackers called Yum Yums. Great for snacking.
Yapsuk/shredded potato cholent is delicious for shabbos.
We actually don't eat much matzah, we like the regular food better.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Apr 14 2017, 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 8:58 am
Can you have eggs, cheese, yogurt, quinoa, potatoes, sweet potatoes, nuts, meat? There are so many gluten free filling things to eat on pesach besides matza.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 9:16 am
We don't eat processed foods. Potatoes etc could work as long as I spend enough time eating. When I'm busy taking care of my kids who are young and demanding, and also guests, I tend not to get to eat enough in time. I am planning to put together a potato dish for breakfast though... Thanks for the suggestions.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 9:19 am
amother wrote:
We don't eat processed foods. Potatoes etc could work as long as I spend enough time eating. When I'm busy taking care of my kids who are young and demanding, and also guests, I tend not to get to eat enough in time. I am planning to put together a potato dish for breakfast though... Thanks for the suggestions.

You're pregnant. You're busy taking care of your young family and guests.
Call. Your. Rav.
I'm quite sure you'll be surprised about what he says.
Please. Take. Care. Of. Yourself.

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 10:10 am
my friend made flatbread using ground almonds and potato starch. Let me know if you want the recipe.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 10:23 am
From Ami

Pesach Crackers

3 eggs
1 3/4 cup potato starch
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup oil

Preheat oven to 350.
Beat eggs slowly in electric mixer. Gradually add rest of ingredients.
Pour onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with flavors of your choice (optional).
Bake 10 minutes. Cut into squares, flatbreads or desired shape.
Put back in oven and bake an additional 30 minutes.

Nut Crackers

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....rt=40

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 12:59 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You're pregnant. You're busy taking care of your young family and guests.
Call. Your. Rav.
I'm quite sure you'll be surprised about what he says.
Please. Take. Care. Of. Yourself.

This, absolutely. If it was Tisha B'av you would probably be told you could eat today, not eating processed foods on Pesach is just a chumrah, I can't imagine your rav would tell you to be strict about it based on your health issues.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 2:05 pm
Im living on this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Yehuda-.....;th=1

tichellady

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 2:56 pm
amother wrote:
Im living on this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Yehuda-.....;th=1

It's pretty tasty but has no nutrition- I would not recommend this for someone who needs energy!

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 3:29 pm
The gluten free oat matzoh isn't much better. Quinoa,avocado, nuts, etc are better options than filling up on any type of matzoh

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 10:04 am
Thank you all for your advice. I ended up being able to get one more box. Enough so I can feel free that I won't run out. I'm not eating it for three meals a day but it helps as a backup.

(I can't have yogurt, cottage cheese, or bananas either, due to various food sensitivities, and we don't eat quinoa on Pesach... I'd rather not break our family minhagim unless absolutely desperate. I definitely wouldn't want my kids to see.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics