Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Some thoughts about crossing the yam suf

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:04 am
So there we were- caught between an army and a wet place, we followed Nachshon and jumped into the sea-, although because of Nachshon by the time we jumped we were actually jumping on to dry land. Then we went through the sea tunnels and came out on the SAME SIDE of the sea, only to need to go the long way round so we still have six weeks to wander in the desert til we TRIED to get the Torah (and mucked that up too).

Aviva Zornberg in her essay on Parahat Beshalach (from her book on sefer shmot) notes the large number of questions, particularly what/how questions ('mah' questions) and seems to say that Hashem took us the long way round to make it harder to get back to Egypt, but also to allow a space of wilderness between us and mitzrayim before we even get the Torah, to create a certain academic space in which we could safely 'be negative ' by asking these very negative 'mah' questions. To give a permitted space for certain amount of negative thinking. In a sense He allows it so long as it does not affect our actions, and the space makes it harder to affect our actions. And I might add (and I think this idea may be in Tanya) that every time we overcome a negative thought, it is as if we are once again leaving mitzrayim

I am finding this approach very helpful as I once again contemplate my own derech out of my own personal mitzrayim, so I thought I would share it.

I feel like this is why we sometimes realize we are in an abusive relationship but then take forever to find a therapist , realize we need to resign but take forever to find a new job, and so on. The time delay makes it harder to go back to the old ways, but also creates a permitted space for our doubtful, negative thoughts, which will naturally come anyway.

What do you think?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics