Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Any kosher pizza places opened in Queens tonight?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Apr 18 2017, 9:00 pm
Are there any kosher pizza places opened tonight in Queens, NY?

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Apr 18 2017, 9:22 pm
The vaad of queens does not allow them to open tonight

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Apr 18 2017, 9:33 pm
amother wrote:
The vaad of queens does not allow them to open tonight

Why not?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 18 2017, 11:41 pm
I believe it started because stores were in a hurry to make pizza fast so they were starting to make pizza before yomtov was over or doing other questionable things. this has been the rule in queens for many years. What

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:17 am
amother wrote:
I believe out started because stores were in a hurry to make pizza fast so they were straying to make pizza before yontov war already over or doing other questionable things. this has been the rule in queens What for many years. What

Correct. There were to many questions for it to be ok... also another question for all pizza stores- how do their ovens heat up fast enough to make so many pies after pesach?

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 1:52 am
amother wrote:
Correct. There were to many questions for it to be ok... also another question for all pizza stores- how do their ovens heat up fast enough to make so many pies after pesach?

Who says the ovens are being heated so fast? I always assumed the first pie wasn't ready until around an hour after yomtov was over.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 9:57 am
amother wrote:
Who says the ovens are being heated so fast? I always assumed the first pie wasn't ready until around an hour after yomtov was over.

AIUI, it takes 2 to 3 hours to heat a brick pizza oven. So the oven was on over yom tov, or they would be serving pizzas made a frozen before the holiday.

Also, chametz that was sold was not available until at least 45 minutes after the holiday. So if the first pizza was ready an hour after the holiday, it was made that quickly.

So I honestly don't see how places open right after the holiday, other than places that are owned by non-Jews and were open the entire holiday, like Dunkin Donuts.

In any case, from what I read, the concern of the Queens Vaad was that Israeli-owned restaurants were preparing on the 8th day, which the owners didn't celebrate. Is it OK for non-Israelis? Is it fair?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:04 am
SixOfWands wrote:
AIUI, it takes 2 to 3 hours to heat a brick pizza oven. So the oven was on over yom tov, or they would be serving pizzas made a frozen before the holiday.

Also, chametz that was sold was not available until at least 45 minutes after the holiday. So if the first pizza was ready an hour after the holiday, it was made that quickly.

So I honestly don't see how places open right after the holiday, other than places that are owned by non-Jews and were open the entire holiday, like Dunkin Donuts.

In any case, from what I read, the concern of the Queens Vaad was that Israeli-owned restaurants were preparing on the 8th day, which the owners didn't celebrate. Is it OK for non-Israelis? Is it fair?

The Vaad is right.
It's assur for an Israeli to do melacha b'rabim on second day y"t. If they live in chutzpah l'aretz then they are mechuyiv in keeping the second day fully. It doesn't matter if they have Israeli guests visiting for the chag.
Presumably the premises was sold to a non-Jew, making it trespassing to enter before the time the Rav wrote in the sale document.
It's very tempting to be the first pizza shop open after pesach. So much so that one lacking in yiras Hashem may jump the gun.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:13 am
Iymnok wrote:
The Vaad is right.
It's assur for an Israeli to do melacha b'rabim on second day y"t. If they live in chutzpah l'aretz then they are mechuyiv in keeping the second day fully. It doesn't matter if they have Israeli guests visiting for the chag.
Presumably the premises was sold to a non-Jew, making it trespassing to enter before the time the Rav wrote in the sale document.
It's very tempting to be the first pizza shop open after pesach. So much so that one lacking in yiras Hashem may jump the gun.

I think there's a difference of opinion on what Israelis outside of Israel may do. IIRC, some rabbis hold that the issue revolves around where they intend to live in the long term. If they've moved to the US permanently (eg), they need to hold to the extra day(s). If they are, eg, in school and moving back, they don't.

But can I, as an American, eat chametz in the US even if was legitimately prepared by an Israeli when it was still chag for me?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:23 am
SixOfWands wrote:
I think there's a difference of opinion on what Israelis outside of Israel may do. IIRC, some rabbis hold that the issue revolves around where they intend to live in the long term. If they've moved to the US permanently (eg), they need to hold to the extra day(s). If they are, eg, in school and moving back, they don't.

But can I, as an American, eat chametz in the US even if was legitimately prepared by an Israeli when it was still chag for me?

I, as an Israeli cannot do any melacha on second day y"t outside of E"y. We hold, even in private. I was born in the US, so it doesn't bother me.
Israelis who grew up here heave a real hard time with this and don't always accept that the Halacha is a little uncomfortable for them.
I have seen Israelis who have been living in chu"l for 20yrs, come to visit for a chag and drop the second day. Very few opinions hold that way.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:24 am
SixOfWands wrote:

I'm certainly no expert on brick pizza ovens, but a quick google search seems to indicate they can be ready for use in 45-60 minutes. Also, I don't see why arrangements can't be made to buy back the chametz immediately after the chag is over. Motzei pesach is probably the most profitable night of the year. I thing arrangements can be made.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:26 am
And to answer your question,
If it was prepared at all before the return sale was completed, he is selling you stolen goods and possibly chometz sh'avor alav b'peseach.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:39 am
Iymnok wrote:
And to answer your question,
If it was prepared at all before the return sale was completed, he is selling you stolen goods and possibly chometz sh'avor alav b'peseach.

Can you explain why dozens of pizza stores in brooklyn and lakewood are allowed to open but queens pizza stores are not?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics