Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Keep spices in pantry or cabinet?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:20 am
Which makes more sense? Till now I had them in the pantry but they were so messy. Will it be neater and easier to manage if I keep spices in cabinet and flour, oil, cans etc in the pantry?
Any super useful organizing tools I should look into?

esuss

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:25 am
I have one cabinet for baking supplies right over the counter that I use for baking. I keep spices that I use for general cooking in separate cabinet on a turntable which keeps them neat. If you have a deep pantry they will be moved around and hard to find.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:53 am
Now with summer coming we freeze em. But usually its in the pantry on a rack

BabsB

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:08 am
I have discovered I like having them in the cabinet above the stove. I have to be on the stool to reach them, but it's actually kind of fun to stand "above" my dish and sprinkle in various spices.

As far as organizing goes, what helps me the most is the advice in Marie Kondo's book. She says if you want it, you will get it out no matter how difficult. What you need to concentrate on is making it easy to put away. That's the hard part, so focus there.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:08 am
I got a rack that hangs on the outside of my cabinet because that's where I could fit it and reach it. Didn't have many alternatives. I love it.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 7:35 am
I keep them in a cabinet above my main meaty counter where I spend the most time cooking. Easy reach and I enjoy them there that way.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 8:07 am
I keep mine in my cabinet next to my fridge, along with my baking ingredients, pans, bags, plates, bowls....I keep them lower because I'm really short and I don't want to be climbing or stretching all the time. I really want a spice rack, but our contractor didn't put one in (even though I asked for it) and now it just keeps getting forgotten.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:01 am
I've done the pantry when it was my only option. Didn't really like it as it wasn't next to my counter space.
Next home I used a drawer that fit almost everything, and it was great. Very accessible. Now I have a cabinet in a corner near my stove and fleishig counter, and I put in turntables, and it's perfect.
You have to do what works for your kitchen, but having it near cooking to me is the key.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:25 pm
I keep in cabinet near cooking area. I keep them in small little boxes grouped by type or how often they are used. It keeps them neater and I can pull down the most used box when cooking and just put away at the same time.

I've seen drawer racks were they are laid flat. I think it looks amazing. But I only have 2 drawers in my kitchen now so it isn't an option for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics