Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teen girls bored in city in summer

areal

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 1:33 pm
When 9th/10th grade teen girls work in city daycamps, what do they do in empty after-daycamp afternoons? I had an idea for my own situation & wonder if anyone has advice..I am looking for a "private culinary mentor" (just fancy words! Read on for my fully-watered down definition) to come in July to my home in Boro Park, 2x/wk or so. I actually don't need a professional, im really just interested in giving my 14yo teenage daughter & a friend or 2, a good productive time in the long aimless weekday hours after they finish working in daycamp...I understand this is more than a $20 or $30/hr project & im ready to pay the price (not TOO steep tho) for the right person: anyone who relates well to teenagers (only a group of 3 or 4 at a time, I wouldnt want more) & simply has basic skills at teaching & cooking, demonstrating a few of ur favorite recipes would be perfect! If anyone knows an unmarried girl without children obligations in the early/late evenings who would be interested, that would probably be even better...this summer will be my daughter's first one not in camp & I know she'll be desperate for some activity in the afternoons but I have never heard of something like this available, CONSTRUCTIVE vs. time-wasting socializing/shopping...maybe a prospective responder wants to start such a class?? Tho we're dying to have individual attention in our own environment! Anyone??

Marion

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 1:40 pm
That's a great idea! Other thoughts are volunteer opportunities in the community.

water_bear88

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 1:48 pm
I wish I were local enough! Other ideas would be an art or sewing class if there's one available for those hours. (When I took my first sewing class ~15 years ago, it was all girls in the class even though it wasn't Jewish-run.)

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:44 pm
I just was looking at this. Growing sprouts. Either make your own materials or buy a set here. Since they are ready within a week, different types can be tried.
https://sproutpeople.org

You tube tutorial series on different crafts.

Musical instrument.

Paint some old furniture.

Spend some afternoons at a thrift store or flea market. Give each $5 (or $20, doesn't matter)to get the "best" thing. Plan the next day's event with those items.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:58 pm
What is your daughter interested in? What does she enjoy doing? How much down time does she have a day just for herself?

cnc

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:59 pm
Do you specifically want the idea you mentioned in the OP? Because afaik there are two evening programs for high schoolers. Would those interest you?

Ilovemaryland

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 11:23 pm
Why not engage these girls in something REAL for a change instead of the usual frivolous activities..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjahbGqZu6U

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:44 am
Ilovemaryland wrote:
Why not engage these girls in something REAL for a change instead of the usual frivolous activities..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjahbGqZu6U

How is learning how to cook a frivolous activity?!

Op, I think it's a wonderful idea!
I really enjoy cooking because I know the bases. She can learn different flavors, how to achieve​ them. All the spices and herbs out there. When to use them. This will give her a foundation she can use on her own

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:57 am
They can make simple sandwiches, get apples, granola bars, and bottles of water, put them in individual lunch bags, and deliver them to the homeless.

IMO, "bored" is not an option. Do something useful with your life, or read a good book.

wondergirl

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 10:00 am
I dont know of anyone who teaches private classes but the Boro Park Y may have classes for them. But are you sure that she wants to learn how to cook? She may want to learn how to become a lifeguard or graphic designer, etc. all of which could be useful to learn and help her make money in the future as well. Ask her what she would be interested in learning/doing before you make any plans for her and spend money on things she has no interest in doing.

Some other ideas of what she could do--

The nursing home on 10th ave in BP has a volunteer program. They have a good recreational program for all residents that the girls can assist with and learn tons of new things to do while they are at it.

She can also apply for a job with Hasc or any agency that works with autistic/DD children and work with the kids in their homes/communities doing fun things with them in the afternoon/evening.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children