Home

Until what time do you stay up on Motzei Pesach?
Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Poll

Until what time do you stay up on Motzei Pesach?
Were asleep same time as usual
 16%  [ 25 ]
We go to sleep by midnight
 24%  [ 37 ]
We go to sleep before 2 am
 39%  [ 59 ]
We go to sleep before 4 am
 15%  [ 24 ]
We go to sleep before 6 am
 0%  [ 1 ]
We never make it to bed
 0%  [ 1 ]
Other, please clarify
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 151


amother




Seashell


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 9:59 pm
Orchid I know you're not my dil because she wasn't here last night. I also know I'm not your mil because I didn't polish the silver before putting it away. But my Pesach closet is in a bedroom and when I put things away to remain undisturbed for a whole year, you better believe every last item is going to be surgically clean before it's packed away. If it isn't, two things will happen: any speck of grease, sugar, etc. will oxidize, turn yellow or brown and be impossible to remove, especially the awful grease that sticks to pots and pans, and plastics will get tacky. Furthermore any bit of cake meal dust or a bit of chicken grease, will be an irresistible draw to urban wildlife of the indoor kind. We battle these pests year round but in a closet that remains closed all year, a whole community can spring up while we are none the wiser till we unpack and get a very unpleasant surprise. We can scour everything now or be forced to do it next year when we're already under the gun timewise before Pesach. To me the choice is as crystal clear as the glassware I put away. When I unpack, every stick of kitchenware or tableware is ready to use or set on the table for company. And so is your mil's.

Lest you accuse me of having OCD, I hasten to point out that the chometzdik things I put away for the week in no way resemble what is put away after Pesach. It's put away washed but not scrubbed and polished , and looks downright slovenly when unpacked. Do people really pack away dirty dishes without washing them? Gross!
Back to top

amother




Orchid


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:12 pm
I think my MIL is wonderful and she is so easy going about it - she sends us all to bed by 1:00 and stays up all night and turns back over during the next 3 days. Its just her and FIL and they don't mind keeping Pesach a few extra days. I haven't been there for years to turn over as I make my own pesach. My pots don't gleam and my blech has black burns - but there isn't a speck of a food on what I put away. I spent 1 - 2 hours washing and drying everything before it was packed up. And I choose to use lots of disposables so I don't have to battle grease in tupperware or roasting pans - but we all make our own choices
Back to top

notshanarishona









  


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:22 pm
Amy time I have had sleep over guests I have asked them to help. If I know they can't/won't I would serve on plastic.
Back to top

Simple1









  


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:31 pm
I never bought a set of Pesach china. I used nice disposables. So clean up after Pesach is very quick.
Back to top

JoyInTheMorning









  


Post  Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:56 am
I had work to do motza'ei yom tov, so I knew that we wouldn't turn back to chametz that night. We will either switch over tonight or motza'ei shabbat. We frequently wind up turning back to chametz as much as a week after Pesach, depending on the schedule and work demands.
Back to top

JoyInTheMorning









  


Post  Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:00 am
Simple1 wrote:
I never bought a set of Pesach china. I used nice disposables. So clean up after Pesach is very quick.


There's much more to turning over than washing the Pesach china. It's the cutlery, cooking utensils, cutting boards, serving dishes, appliances (e.g., electric mixer), pots and pans (which need to be scrubbed really well, otherwise they're gross the next year), transferring over food, cleaning the tiles that we use to cover the counters, washing and putting away the tablecloths, and putting everything in its proper place; then unpacking all the boxes with the chametz stuff. It's a lot of work, and I do not do well late at night. If it happens a few days later, the world does not go under.
Back to top

amother




Apricot


Post  Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:40 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
There's much more to turning over than washing the Pesach china. It's the cutlery, cooking utensils, cutting boards, serving dishes, appliances (e.g., electric mixer), pots and pans (which need to be scrubbed really well, otherwise they're gross the next year), transferring over food, cleaning the tiles that we use to cover the counters, washing and putting away the tablecloths, and putting everything in its proper place; then unpacking all the boxes with the chametz stuff. It's a lot of work, and I do not do well late at night. If it happens a few days later, the world does not go under.

I'm with simple1 on this one. We try to do all the pots, pans, electric appliances over chol hamoed after we are done cooking. Food goes into semi disposable containers all pesach with we then transfer to year round use so no food transferring necessary. Hard plastic disposable cutlery used at meals and disposable serving dishes that are used and washed over YT a few times and then thrown out afterward. We mostly wash up a few knives and peelers, wash down the counters, plata, urn, put things away and call it a day.
Back to top

Super Mom









  


Post  Thu, Apr 20 2017, 9:44 am
I changed over next morning. Took me 4 hours. I don't have that much stuff.
Back to top

amother




Slategray


Post  Thu, Apr 20 2017, 10:45 am
Hated Pesach clean up growing up. Hope not to do that to my kids. Used only plastic, but in the future if I have more to do, I will make sure to have cleaning help that day (mine couldn't come but wasn't a huge deal this year bec it was my first year so didn't have a lot).
Back to top

amother




Slategray


Post  Thu, Apr 20 2017, 10:57 am
bigbird wrote:
Is this halachically allowed?


I never understand this question. Why can't dishes be washed after using? Do you wash dishes to prepare for after yom tov or because you like things to be clean? I always clean up after every meal so why can't the dishes be washed too? During the year I dont, because everything goes in dishwasher. But just never understood this preparing question in general.
Back to top

amother




Orchid


Post  Thu, Apr 20 2017, 11:21 am
There are people who will not wash dishes on shabbos or yom tov unless they are needed that day. My rav specifically told me wanting a clean house is not a good enough reason - so yes I would imagine that some would wonder.

Also I think using hot water to wash the dishes may be problematic - but again I ask a different rav then yours. We only use hot water for food prep and cleaning - not body washing on yom tov - so I would think washing dishes for just cleanliness in hot water may be an issue.
Back to top

cm









  


Post  Thu, Apr 20 2017, 12:20 pm
If I have overnight guests the last days I will stay up late to switch over. Guests would prefer a chometzdik breakfast, and I prefer to have the kitchen all one or the other, not halfway. If just us - it takes as long as it takes. I am fortunate to have enough cabinets and storage space that the process is not that hard.

I only put away clean things (does this even need to be said?) so they are sanitary in storage and ready to use without significant re-washing. To fend off pests, I use sealed plastic containers, so everything must be thoroughly dry before packing away. Air drying is best, and this is what takes the most time. I may leave some things drying in another room while the kitchen is already switched, and put them into storage later.
Back to top

amother




Khaki


Post  Thu, Apr 20 2017, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
There are people who will not wash dishes on shabbos or yom tov unless they are needed that day. My rav specifically told me wanting a clean house is not a good enough reason - so yes I would imagine that some would wonder.

Also I think using hot water to wash the dishes may be problematic - but again I ask a different rav then yours. We only use hot water for food prep and cleaning - not body washing on yom tov - so I would think washing dishes for just cleanliness in hot water may be an issue.


Regarding when one can wash dishes and using hot water. (Just for others wondering)
http://dinonline.org/2012/06/0.....n-yom-tov/
Back to top

Ruchel









  


Post  Fri, Apr 21 2017, 2:52 am
Rumpelsnacht!
Nope, I didn't.
Back to top

Simple1









  


Post  Fri, Apr 21 2017, 7:44 am
amother wrote:
I'm with simple1 on this one. We try to do all the pots, pans, electric appliances over chol hamoed after we are done cooking. Food goes into semi disposable containers all pesach with we then transfer to year round use so no food transferring necessary. Hard plastic disposable cutlery used at meals and disposable serving dishes that are used and washed over YT a few times and then thrown out afterward. We mostly wash up a few knives and peelers, wash down the counters, plata, urn, put things away and call it a day.


Yes, I used a lot of disposable serving ware and containers. Maybe not the healthiest, and cheapest, but makes Pesach set up and cleanup easier, especially that I don't have steady cleaning help.

And no mixer. I only made cookies and cakes without whipped eggwhites.
Back to top

shnitzel









  


Post  Fri, Apr 21 2017, 9:31 am
It took me 3 hours. I worked from 9:30 to 12:30 with no help. My cleaning lady came for two hours after the meal and did all the dishes so almost everything was already cleaned.

Washing and drying all the counter and fridge covers took the bulk of my time.

I don't put anything in the fridge in pesach containers or pots so there's nothing to transfer.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3 Recent Topics

Page 3 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions

Similar Topics Replies Last Post
S/O Pizza Shops opening Motzei Pesach, any in BP open?
by amother
1 Wed, Apr 19 2017, 5:22 am View latest post
Need place to stay in Tzfat (after Pesach) 7 Fri, Mar 14 2014, 5:50 am View latest post
Didn't clean home for Pesach, can a frum person stay there? 18 Mon, Apr 24 2006, 8:06 pm View latest post
Looking to stay home for Pesach, 1st time, ISO advice
by amother
31 Mon, Dec 09 2013, 9:37 pm View latest post
[ Poll ] Lakewood women: When did you stay at home for Pesach first?
by amother
12 Mon, Mar 25 2013, 9:44 am View latest post

Jump to:  





Report offensive ad