Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Bunk beds

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:28 am
My oldest 2 children are 5 and 2.5. I am thinking of getting them bunk beds in the fairly near future but I have some concerns and would like to hear other people's experiences of them.

Did the kids constantly want to be climbing up and down the ladder or jumping off the top?

Did they get to a point where they didn't want to be in bunk beds any more?

I am considering them just to save space, but are there any disadvantages you didn't think of before getting them?

MMCH

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:12 am
we just got them for our 4 and 6 year old and its great.
I have all the same concerns
- btwn the 2 of them, the thrill of going up and down and 'jumping' from steps wore off after a while (also I have girls who aren't naturally that dare devilish)
-it has saved us a ton of space
- my kids are so happy
-we bought the kind that can be made into 2 twin beds, and tell my girls all the time if we dont like the behavior on the bunk beds we will take them apart.
- however, when their friends come over, I really have to monitor whats going bc everyone gets super excited and can get very wild with the bunk beds.

the only annoying thing about bunk beds is making the beds and changing the linen.

Super Mom

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:57 am
Same here. My kids were fine but having friends over was stressful.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 9:00 am
My kids loved the bunk bed when they were 6 or 7 but by the time they were 10-13 we had two bunk beds and the kids on the top hated them. If you wan to just sit on your bed u can't, you have to climb up. Also I sit with each kid during bedtime and when I was pregnant and post partum I couldn't go sit with them at night.
Like another poster said it's difficult to make the bed and change the linen.
When kids are sick it's hard to climb up to sleep or climb down when they need something.

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 9:42 am
Have a bunk bed. Kids enjoy it. They don't climb it all the time. Saves space.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 10:11 am
amother wrote:

When kids are sick it's hard to climb up to sleep or climb down when they need something.

There is that, but I'm more worried about cleaning up the aftermath of the one on top vomiting! shock

My older one has been desperate for bunk beds for at least the last 2 years so I know she'd be happy but she already likes running and jumping on the sofa in her room so I'm worried about what she'd do with bunk beds and a ladder (and of course, the younger one copying her.)

Because we've got such a small lounge/ diner, we currently use the kids' room as a lounge/ family room/ playroom, so kids are in there all the time. They play nicely at the moment but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to step outside for a second with bunks in there! It might be different if they were using the room only for sleeping or could lock it when they didn't need to be in there.

What age were your kids when you put them in bunks? The ones we have seen say minimum 6 for the top. Also, for how long would you have a boy and girl sharing? I have a baby DD too who is still in the crib in our room so we could potentially use the bunks for the 2 girls or for DS and baby DD in the future, or if we have another child.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 11:38 am
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/.....0899/

we got this and it is really useful. my wild 2 year old climbs and jumps on everything and my supercareful 5 year old is scared to climb - so a bunk bed was a not the way to go.

other reasons we decided that this is a good solution were:
1.) changing linen is easier
2.) when one of the children feels sick or needs mommy, I can lie down next to them or sit on thier bed
3.) the trundlebed has great wheels and is very easy to meneuver, so cleaning (vacuum...) below the bed is easy
4.) you can attach a small rail for young children,( if they move a lot during their sleep)

we bought very comfortable and sturdy matrases, I find sleeping in the flaxa bed very comfortable. it is full size so we hopefully wont need to buy other beds for the kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics