Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Wine for Charoses

fish35

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 9:45 am
I know Pesach is over, but I got left scrambling at the last minute over this one, so while I still remember about it...
I'm in Israel. Usually I use Tokaji sweet red wine for charoses. It is syrupy sweet and makes the charoses taste delicious. This year, the wine store I went to said they are out and the company stopped making it. Instead I used Yikvei Carmel King David Concord. It was not the same, it was not as syrupy sweet as the Tokaji. Can anyone recommend a wine that might be the same as Tokaji to make the best charoses?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 12:19 pm
I use any wine on hand and also add sugar and cinnamon for great taste.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 12:46 pm
We used an Efrat sweet red, I think, and the charoset came out as I remember it tasting growing up. I have a trickier time with the apples- BH found a good Chermon this year but some years they seem to be mostly mushy by Pesach. Can I ask what you use for the fruit component?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 1:19 pm
I use Malaga wine for charoset. It is too sweet to drink but great for chariest. The rest goes unused throughout the year. I need more recipes that use sweet wine.

In answer to another question: I use both apples and bananas for the fruit component.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 1:33 pm
Pink Lady apples stay crunchy. Our definite favorite for munching and making charoset.
We use any sweet red wine and it always tastes great. Just checked, Chevron sweet red wine this year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics