Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Tell me about pesach in a hotel, did you love it?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 5:56 pm
DH and I are seriously thinking of starting to save money to go to a pesach program in a hotel next year. Did you love your program? How were the accomodations? The food, the program, entertainment, speeches, was it a constant fashion show? How much did it cost, where did you go? Would you do it again, why or why not?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 7:17 pm
I loved. So relaxing. Was not a fashion show and cost approximately 6.5k for 2 rooms for half of yt. I Went to a program in long island.

Ilovemaryland

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 8:07 pm
I went to Pesach in the Northeast in Chantilly Va
I could go on for ten. Pages raving how wonderful it was

The activities the lectures the daverning
Daily BBQs nitely Viennese table
Kiddush extravaganzas
If you have Weight issues Don't go there LOL

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:15 am
I went once, and it wasn't worth the money. The food was fine, not delish like at home. Not sure what extravaganzas and stuff are.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:25 am
I went once. My personal take is that hotels are great for people without kids but that a house environment, either at home etc. or at a hotel without the actual hotel is better for children.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 9:12 am
amother wrote:
I went once, and it wasn't worth the money. The food was fine, not delish like at home. Not sure what extravaganzas and stuff are.

More delish than a 5 star caterer ??? Rolling Eyes

Can you invite me next year ...

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 10:53 am
amother wrote:

Nope I don't like the attitude. My kids definitely prefer our food, and I like having mine on Pessach, things absolutely to my taste and my tradition. You can keep your hotel on yontif especially...

cm

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 11:31 am
If you like being with groups, and have a high tolerance for noise, and don't have a strong preference to be home on the holidays, you might like a hotel. It's not for everyone.

Zeleze

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 2:11 pm
amother wrote:
I loved. So relaxing. Was not a fashion show and cost approximately 6.5k for 2 rooms for half of yt. I Went to a program in long island.
[b]

I loved this coment about FASHIN SHOW

I would say from the few times I was ever in a hotel with other Frum couple's, YES, It was a fashion show, or more as a "model" showoff to others

Not my cup of tea

MrsDash

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 2:17 pm
amother wrote:

I would prefer my mom, sisters, and husband's home cooking over a caterer any day.

heidi

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 2:20 pm
I've spent Pesach in the low end of American hotels that was way more delicious and extravagant than any Israeli hotel I've been in. I would still take Pesach at home any day

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 2:29 pm
I don't get the fashion show thing. I go to one of the fancier programs with the ILs every year. Yes, it's definitely a "fashion show" as some of you put it, but I don't have any problem walking around in a slinky skirt and sweatshirt and snood when it's not YT/Shabbos. Heck, I don't even wear my sheital the entire YT, just to the meals. And my YT and Shabbos clothes are my regular YT and Shabbos clothes, witg maybe 1 or 2 new outfits that I gift myself in honor of YT. No one has shunned me yet. I have made a number of friends over the years of attending the same program, some quite a bit fancier than me, but don't seem to care that I'm not terribly fashionable.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:

I was at a LI hotel too (most likely the same program) and I found it to be a fantastic fashion show! Even among the chikdren.

Perspective is everything. It's all what you're used to. In the neighborhood I live in no one dresses the way they did in the hotel.

But it was fun to look at. And the food was great.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 2:54 pm
Picking up my kids from school is sometimes also like a fashion show.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:42 pm
You are not missing anything.

I wouldn't go if you paid me. We went a couple of years ago and never again. The ads look glamorous but when you are cooped up for 8 days in a hotel, (literally, I remember the highlight of my YT was going to the mall next door to kill time), seeign the same people who are bored so yenta a lot, going from meal to meal as activity, and in a seder room so loud you cannot hear your own Ma Nishtana, it's the epitome of unpleasant. No place like home.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:51 pm
I haven't gone to a hotel since I got married but we used to go when I was kid. While I loved the entertainment and 24 hour tea room I hated the atmosphere. It just didn't feel like Pesach. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with going but I had great memories of Pesach at home and the hotel couldn't come close. For various reasons we had to go but I really didn't enjoy it and was very happy when we stopped going

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 10:24 pm
I could have written Ecru's post. I have since been offered to be taken to a hotel and turned it down to instead stay home and slave away before pesach. It's worth it b/c pesach at home is way better. Besides for what she said, my kids and I were starving in between meals, and after a while you get sick of fruit, chocolate leben, yogurt and jello, or whatever else was in their fancy 24 hour showcase. (It was a very high end upscale program).
However, if you have no kids or your kids are adults, I can see how someone would like it, even though I personally wouldn't.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 10:50 pm
I did it 3 times in 17 years of married life. Loved it! Food was great. Nobody was hungry. Speeches at the Raleigh we great. Only 2 speakers that alternated but they were top notch. Most meals had a meat apetizer in addition to main dish. Main dish was not choice of 4 dishes. Was a chicken and beef in same huge plate or chichen and veal. And of course fish and soup. Still we were very satisfied. Kids had good day camp. Me as adult had twice a day swim even on erev. And once on motses. Kitchen was very strict on the kashrus. Althought they didnt peel tomatoes and squashes. No square matza no gebrokts. Motses had tooons of food. Kidushim were great. I have done many times at home but hotel is also very kosher if you inquire well and many people can use this help or getaway. We told the hotel we can have people at our table and we had the privilege to share table with a single parent and child for the sedorim. We may go again next year. I love doing at home too and 4 people slept on our home last year most of pesach which is also nice.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 10:55 pm
Getting dressed was average. Most dressed simple. Was an awsome yom tov! Some people really needed the break like a family with newborn or medical issue. Others just were treated by spouse. NOTHING WRONG

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 11:41 pm
Went to a hotel this year like I've been going for the past 15 years. I really enjoyed it. Was a big break and vacation for me especially since I had an extremely hectic year. Anyways I go to a very fancy program so food is great. And yes people think it's a fashion show but not everyone does. I wear what I like and is comfortable more than what's the style is. It's very expensive. (Over 10k a couple). It's nice to go see friends from previous years. Kids go to camp.warm weather. Space to run around. Swimming. Entertainment. Activitys. But it's not for everyone.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics