Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Please tell me I'm doing the right thing

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 6:36 pm
DS 4.5 was given a slice of pizza of which he ate half and was offered a bowl of noodles for supper which he served himself ketchup. He ate several chocolates as a reward for doing good listening. It is 9:30pm, he is saying he's hungry. I'm in my bed ignoring him. Is this the right thing to do?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 6:38 pm
My suggestion : offer him some water

ectomorph

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 6:40 pm
I would give something healthy that's not his favorite.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 6:42 pm
I hate to not feed my kids if they are legitimately hungry. Best test (for me) is to offer them a piece of fruit - one that is not necessarily their favorite. If they take it, they're hungry and should eat. If they ask me what else I have - they're just wasting my time and trying to stay up later.

Moonlight

I would say it's sleeping time now. You can have as much breakfast as you want in the morning .

amother
Turquoise

does he usually complain of hunger at night? is he usually trying to find excuses to get out of bed? It doesn't sound like he really had much protein so he might actually be hungry but it would really depend on what he's like in general. The water is definitely a good place to start.

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:03 pm
How long ago was supper and did he have anything besides the pizza and pasta? Were either of them whole wheat? I ask because carbs, especially the white kind, don't last so long in your system. And 9:30 is hours past mealtime for most 4-year-olds, so combining both bits of info here the chances are very high that he really is hungry again. I'd be miserable if I ate only pizza and pasta for supper and was still awake 3-4 hours later with nothing else to eat.

I have a two-pronged approach to requests from the bed, which worked great for my first child and so far my second child is just not catching on...
1. They must wait 10-15 minutes of silence before requesting anything. This shuts down the instinct to start kvetching the second they go to bed and lets them legitimately start trying to fall asleep first.
2. After the 15 minutes if they still desperately need something I offer something boring. Outside of mealtime you don't have to starve but you don't get a menu, a trip to the kitchen, or anything interesting like that. You get maybe a banana.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:12 pm
I agree with Seeker. The foods he ate lend themselves to a quick feeling of fullness, but don't actually satiate in the long run. It makes sense that he is genuinely hungry now.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:56 pm
My kids don't ever do this, so on the very rare occasion that they do, I know they are truly hungry. I offer them eat a squeeze applesauce in bed.

Stars

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:03 pm
He might just be thirsty

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:09 pm
OP what did you do tzim sof?
I can't go to sleep without knowing the kid ain't hungry..

Last edited by amother on Wed, May 03 2017, 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

lizard8

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:13 pm
If my kids are hungry before bed, they are offered a fruit or veggie.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:23 pm
I have a rule that after supper, plain fruits or vegetables are the only option. After 8 pm, anyone who is hungry gets offered plain bland whole wheat matza or melba toast. If theyre hungry theyll eat it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics