Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Tell me about pesach in a hotel, did you love it?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 11:53 pm
I wish I cld go...way way over budget it sounds way more exciting then the cramped quarters at my in laws and parents

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 11:54 pm
This is our 3rd consecutive year at different programs and this one was the best (for us). I made some friendships that I believe will continue (that did not happen at the fancy programs) and this one was moderate ($2K per person). I agree that it is probably best for empty nesters (like us). This year we had our daughter home from sem and it was a little disappointing (for us) that she spent most of her free time with other girls (understandable, but we'd have more time with her at home). The shiurim were truly inspiring and worth it alone, the location was spectacular and we were in nature every day (including Yom Tom). The people were heimish and we are planning a trip to visit a couple we met in another state to look at their community.

That said, next year, our college son will have his spring break over Pesach and he prefers home, so we'll see. At my age, it is worth it alone to save my health and knees not cleaning and cooking; I mamash haven't been sick in the years we have gone away and I previously got sick every Pesach for 20 years before that, so the Abishter obviously wants me to go away:))

I miss the privacy of our seders at home though. It really is hard to do with so many people around. All in all, the hotel is worth it because of the lack of stress and the spiritual uplift of the shiurim. Our daughter said that while she misses our private seders, it is worth it for the whole experience. Maybe next year our son will join us....

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 11:59 pm
We were in Gateways. FANTASTIC program all around!

Ilovemaryland

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 12:10 am
Everyone who are complaining are obviously going to the wrong program..

I'm a baalas tshuva . Over the years, all the people that invited me didn't have the best kasrus. How do you compare a professionally run kitchen a Rov and crew of masgichim to an overworked mother who isn't so knowledgeable and has too much drama going on. Plus they treat me like a neb-case.
If you are bored at the hotel what are you doing at home thats so exciting.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 1:09 am
I made great friends as well. I took home phones of some.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 3:14 am
rainbow dash wrote:
Picking up my kids from school is sometimes also like a fashion show.

Sad

Shuly

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 8:22 am
Ilovemaryland wrote:

I'm a baalas tshuva . Over the years, all the people that invited me didn't have the best kasrus. How do you compare a professionally run kitchen a Rov and crew of masgichim to an overworked mother who isn't so knowledgeable and has too much drama going on. Plus they treat me like a neb-case.

Not saying you should or shouldn't go to a hotel, but I just wanted to comment on the bolded -
I don't doubt the kashrus of any frum women, overworked or not.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 8:26 am
when I was a child we went to a pesach hotel that accidentally served milchig icecream for dessert after the seder. Thankfully my family took longer then other people and therefore it was discovered because someone insisted on seeing what amazing parve pesach icecream tasted real lol! before my family got. It had a p for pesach and someone got confused and thought it meant parve... just saying...

chanchy123

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 8:40 am
amother wrote:
when I was a child we went to a pesach hotel that accidentally served milchig icecream for dessert after the seder. Thankfully my family took longer then other people and therefore it was discovered because someone insisted on seeing what amazing parve pesach icecream tasted real lol! before my family got. It had a p for pesach and someone got confused and thought it meant parve... just saying...

That could just as easily have happened in someone's home.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 8:49 am
amother wrote:
I haven't gone to a hotel since I got married but we used to go when I was kid. While I loved the entertainment and 24 hour tea room I hated the atmosphere. It just didn't feel like Pesach. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with going but I had great memories of Pesach at home and the hotel couldn't come close. For various reasons we had to go but I really didn't enjoy it and was very happy when we stopped going

That's interesting. my daughter just told me how much she enjoyed it when we took them to pesach hotels.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 8:52 am
chanchy- 100% true. It was in response to the poster who seemed to think that the kashrus in hotels were automatically better then in people's private homes. You do your hishtadlus of going to someone who keeps kosher or a hotel that has a reliable hechsher v'zehu.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 8:54 am
Ilovemaryland wrote:

I'm not commenting on any specific program. But. I have been told by a number of bnei Torah who worked as mashgichim at Pesach hotels that the kashrus is often iffy. It's just too large of an operation with too many people involved, and a lot falls through the cracks. Many of the mashgichim don't take it seriously at all and are there for the freebies.

bobeli

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 4:00 pm
linen and orange amother which program did you go to?

cnc

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not commenting on any specific program. But. I have been told by a number of bnei Torah who worked as mashgichim at Pesach hotels that the kashrus is often iffy. It's just too large of an operation with too many people involved, and a lot falls through the cracks. Many of the mashgichim don't take it seriously at all and are there for the freebies.

This- I once heard a Pesach shiur where the speaker was discussing kashrus issues at a hotel and he made another point as well. Many times hotels will use heterim that you would never rely on at home- specifically because they're a large operation and would have a big loss if they discard something questionable. For example, if something gets mixed in with chometz at home you would most likely discard it immediately. At a hotel when discarding it means a loss of thousands of dollars(because they cooked for a big crowd,) they'll try to find leniences so they can still use it. I thought it's something interesting to be aware of. As someone with relatives in the food business, I know that it's true.

Not commenting on my opinion about going to hotels - I'm just repeating something that I heard.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 8:11 pm
Bobeli...We went to Pesach Gan Eden (Ventura, CA). Chabad program; all hiddurim observed. Quite a few non-Lubavs there and all had a great time:)

WastingTime

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:

I never have been nor plan on going to a Pesach program, but I think this is a problem with hotels in general. I have heard this from a family member who is involved in kashrus and very reluctant to eat at hotels. If there is a sheila about something- there is not one family-sized pot of food at stake- so they might be more meikal then you would like because there are big losses at stake. I am not saying I wouldn't go to a hotel, but I don't think that a woman at home in her own kitchen no matter how stressed and frazzled she is is more lax than a hotel with x number of mashgiachim, we all know many stories about things that got past mashgichim. I read an article once (probably in mishpacha) with all sorts of stories and if I remember correctly it included cooking on Shabbos when things got burned etc.
I am very much of the "no place but home type" and thats with 5 young kids, a full time job and barely any cleaning help.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 8:48 pm
amother wrote:
Bobeli...We went to Pesach Gan Eden (Ventura, CA). Chabad program; all hiddurim observed. Quite a few non-Lubavs there and all had a great time:)

What sort of hiddurim? Peeled vegetables?

Ilovemaryland

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 10:13 pm
I am sensing a very marie Antoinette tone in this thread

In my community anyone who would invite me isn't.so religious and treat me like a neb
If I go to NY or Monsey they are nice but I feel like an even bigger nebcase.

I work very long hours to make ends meet.So I don't have time to energy to make pesach at home

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 10:21 pm
To all of you so worried about kashrus standards, I humbly suggest that you never again eat at any simcha, ever go to a restaurant, buy any pizza, bakery items, take out food. Cook every morsel of food yourself. From scratch. You never know which evil masgiach might have messed up the food you're eating. Better to be safe, then sorry!!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 10:51 pm
Ilovemaryland wrote:
I am sensing a very marie Antoinette tone in this thread

In my community anyone who would invite me isn't.so religious and treat me like a neb
If I go to NY or Monsey they are nice but I feel like an even bigger nebcase.

I work very long hours to make ends meet.So I don't have time to energy to make pesach at home

Good for you Ilovemaryland. I personally think it's awesome the way you celebrate pesach!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics