Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Refusing solids

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 8:13 pm
My baby just turned 1 year old and still refuses solids of any kind. Won't take a bottle (even of my pumped milk) either. He's always interested in watching us eat and ,"plays" with finger food that we give him. He always tries to put anything other than food in his mouth, but clamps his mouth shut if we try to put any food in his mouth! Gained only a pound or so altogether in the last few months :-(
Suggestions? He's otherwise a happy and active baby.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 8:19 pm
Definitely get him evaluated.

123Smile

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:27 pm
If your doctor is ok with his weight I wouldn't worry. My son was like that up until 18-20 months. He's 22 months now and and he's eating one regular meal a day plus some snacks throughout the day.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 9:23 am
Thanks 123. Did anything specific change to get him started?
Anyone else with experience?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 1:38 pm
My daughter was like this. Was underweight. Didn't like food with texture. Never ever took a bottle. Never took a sippy cup. The only thing she would take was a straw cup (in particular, we liked the zoli bot cup - it has a very soft, flexible and thin straw which isn't uncomfortable in the mouth, and it also works at any angle - it was the only cup that my daughter would use from age 9-15 months - no bottles, no sippy cups ever worked for her).

We had to get her on solid food ver yslowly. I'd put just a little bit of baby cereal or pureefruit/veggie in a very large amoutn of pumped milk (since the texture and taste of pumped milk were familiar and liked, and adding just a bit kept the texture and taste very similar to liquid) and spoonfeed it to her. I increased the amount of puree or cereal by just a little bit every week. At first, she was only receptive to being spoonfed this stuff if she had her own spoon to use at the same time. Also, at around 9 months, she refused to be spoonfed, she only wanted to feed herself. So I bought these baby food pouches (empty ones and a filling station) and filled them and let her feed herself. I also used a silicone or mesh feeder (google it) and filled that with food and let her gnaw on it. I also bought a doidy cup (google it) and let her drink her purees in milk from that. I must have bought every piece of baby feeding equipment on the market. But she was able to feed herself. It was messy, but if I let her do it, she did it. Anyway, slowly increasing food texture took a few months, but it worked great - we moved from mostly liquid, to purees and soups, to yogurts, t osacues, to mashed food, etc. Eventually she got up to cottage cheese and lightly mashed foods and soup with chunks. Eventually to actual pieces of food. This was well over age 1 though. But it happened.

Lastly, I want to say that in retrospect, there were 2 things going here: (1) she was very sensitive to textures in her mouth. Even as a preschooler she sometimes likes the taste of a food but won't eat it because of the texture. An OT who my daughter saw later told us that as long as she eats most foods by a ceratin age (I forgot when) we shouldn't worry about it. I think the child nutritionist who worked with us on helping her gain weight and told us how to adjust to food textures as explained above said by 12-15 months. The other thing that was going on was that she has low muscle tone and eating anything that required chewing was tiring for her. She was in PT, but it didn't really address this, but again, we were working with a nutritionist and everyone kind of agreed that as long as she is improving, and she eats a variety of food, we don't need more intervention. In hindsight, maybe we should have had more intervention, but the plan they gave us worked well and she is a mostly good eater since around age 2.

Bottom line, if you feel it is interfering and she is already over 12 months, I recommend an evaluation with a speech therapist who deals with feeding issues. Trust your gut, and go get evaluated.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 12:10 pm
Thanks amother goldenrod for taking the time to write all that up. Very informative!

LittleRed

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 12:20 pm
I agree that he should be evaluated. My oldest was like this and seeing an OT once gave us enough tips and suggestions to get us through the toddler years, after which we had to go back for a few months of feeding therapy but the sooner you get it checked out the better. Depending on the issue, there are different solutions.
Did you son ever have reflux? Many babies with reflux have a hard time with solids because it is uncomfortable.

123Smile

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 2:07 pm
We just offered him food but never forced. As he became older he showed more interest in solids. First started Corn Pops and snacks and by now he eats yogurt and chicken w chicken soup.

Interesting what you mentioned littlered he does have reflux. I guess I can attribute to that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics